The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am certain the folk on the BNA forums would be able to answer this! I believe there's a whole thread on Malvern Star appreciation with some very knowledgeable people in there.
This. There are many knowledable types in the Retro biking section there. At the end of the day does it really matter when it was made. If you like it and the price is right, hand over some cash and throw a leg over.

Shameless plug: Vintage Manitou 2 forks

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Stop tempting me with vintage pr0n that I don't really need :wof:
That's how I got them! But I have enough bikes I don't ride, and I can't face putting them on a pub/camping bike because they would look too tempting to thieves and it's no good leaving them out in the rain.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
That's how I got them! But I have enough bikes I don't ride, and I can't face putting them on a pub/camping bike because they would look too tempting to thieves and it's no good leaving them out in the rain.
Agree totally. I'm sure they will get snapped up for something worthy.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Spotted a dodgy looking MTB leaning against a rail outside the shops this arvo. As you do, second look and it had MARIN on the frame, third look, but not enough time for a pic as the paddle pops were melting fast.

Pretty sure it was one of these:

Unlocked, a bit rough looking. I guess the fact that it looked very much like a Kmart bike was preventing it from theft. I wondered whether the owner knew what it was.

safreek

Cool old terrashark, cool old carbon ride. Only two fiddy so far on eBay.
If I hadn't just bought the mighty stinky I would defiantly have had a crack at.getting this beast
s-l400 (3).jpg

sinkas

Likes Bikes
Not sure if this is allowed,
but does anyone out there have either of these gathering dust:

Dave Chain Device

Onza Curved small bar ends or similar
dcd1.png
onza1.png

trying to get my 95 ish vintage Giant ATX 890 back on the trails,
don't know here is put the parts that came off the bike,
suspect the bin..

colours ,
condition not an issue,
just need to be roughly useable

sinkas

kand

Likes Dirt
Not sure if this is allowed,
but does anyone out there have either of these gathering dust:

Dave Chain Device

Onza Curved small bar ends or similar
View attachment 343218 View attachment 343219
trying to get my 95 ish vintage Giant ATX 890 back on the trails,
don't know here is put the parts that came off the bike,
suspect the bin..

colours ,
condition not an issue,
just need to be roughly useable

sinkas
I think I still have have my Onza barends...Mine ( if I still have them) are all black.

kand

Likes Dirt
cool,
sound good,
let me know if you wanna move them on, no hurry etc

Here is a pic. They look quite worn in the flesh, which doesn't show up in the photo. There is no markings on the metal to identify them as Onza except for the plastic bar ends which say Onza
OnzaBarsEnds.jpg

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For it's 25th birthday i did a resto on my M2000, found a complete XT groupset, with thumbies AND Sharkfin, useless but cool for some reason.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Nice! Those rear dropouts look as though they they'd snap like a scotch finger biscuit if you dropped off anything higher than a gutter!