The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
08 is ‘so old’? think you mean it’s not old enough to be vintage and valuable, but old enough to fix up on the cheap and keep using.
Good question, 08 forks are about 8 year's younger than my frame - one of both might be vintage now? There is some invisible tipping point of old vs. vintage that I can't figure out either.

I think 2006 to 2010 were good years for Fox forks. Many still open bath so easy to maintain, they work well enough unless long chundery descents are something you do a lot and built well enough before the CTD period.

Many things on RB are old after the next standard cornes out.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Totally agree I have a few Fox forks from those years that are still excellent .
After that, private equity took over and they arent interested in innovation or quality
Agreed. The dawn of the CTD period meant that you should be looking at RS for 2010/2011+ IMHO.
The earlier Fox Forks were nicely made overall. They had competition to beat and a brand name to uphold.

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
I'm a big vintage MTB fan but also pretty useless with bikes so I've had a '93 Kona Cinder Cone hanging on the wall for a year or so because of a dodgy BB thread but got that sorted the other day, keen to get it sorted and chuck a toddler seat on to get out with my 2 year old boy.

If anyone is in the seq region that would be interested in a '91 Diamondback Topanga I have one that's all pretty original, has something funky going on with the rear derailleur but it's all original 300ex stuff. It's too cool to chuck but not really worth much to anyone other than a retro bike enthusiast. Can post pics if anyone is interested.

safreek

:p
Give this thread a firm prod.

I find it pretty relaxing messing around with my old stuff which we can call vintage. Have rescued these Fox 32 talas RL of about an 08 vintage. They needed special love only a man in a shed with spanners and lube on a Sunday afternoon can give.

A few minor scratches on the stanchions but the internals were surprisingly good. They have had a bit of hard life and a bit rugged on the black lowers.

Fitted 180mm rotor to fix a tight clearance that these wheel has always had. Fixed that after the obligatory messing around with more washers.

All going OK, hmm, can I clean up the lowers. This is pretty dodgy even by my lax and forgiving standards. Ah ha, out came the left over White Knight self priming flat black gloss enamel paint that I painted the gutters with. Grabbed one of Mrs smaller brushes and all done in a few minutes.

It is old so you are allowed to get a bit home made without any guilt :)

Cockpit upgrade next. C'mon Jenson Usa.

Here's ye olde short travel Club SC.

Edit: Damn you Tapatalk portrait shots.
View attachment 357347View attachment 357348View attachment 357349
Is that some freekazoid modern bike in the background, I am ashamed for you:p

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
Where do you guys buy 26" tyres and tubes from? Need to chuck some on the '96 Barracuda I've got for the missus to get some confidence on and I'm very new to buying bike stuff online.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Where do you guys buy 26" tyres and tubes from? Need to chuck some on the '96 Barracuda I've got for the missus to get some confidence on and I'm very new to buying bike stuff online.
Most online stores stocks 26" stuff, Bikebug, Pushys, MTB direct, cycle station, cycling deal, Big W used to have 26" tubes I haven't been for a while so not sure if they still have them.

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
Most online stores stocks 26" stuff, Bikebug, Pushys, MTB direct, cycle station, cycling deal, Big W used to have 26" tubes I haven't been for a while so not sure if they still have them.

Thanks mate, I know K-Mart has tyres and tubes, thought they'd be rubbish but I guess a tube is a tube when it's just the missus' bike.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Thanks mate, I know K-Mart has tyres and tubes, thought they'd be rubbish but I guess a tube is a tube when it's just the missus' bike.
The Repco branded ones that department stores sometimes have aren't all that bad but yeah, you generally get better quality ones from bike shops.