The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
Turner,

How the hell do those disk wheels work???? Spanky's stared at that for a while, and just cant see WTF is going on...

are there spokes, as in la normal el spokes with just some extra spokes going here and there???

Is the plastic in anyway structural? Or just to stop something going in that mass of spokes.... hard to tension/true????

Oh, and those kooka anno cranks are sparkling... after 7 hits of really good acid.

What were ppl thinking back then......

spanky

ando_freeagent

Likes Bikes and Dirt
those kooka cranks look mad,

ango i get the idea you own that manitou?

you always seem to post it, either way its a mad bike i love anno bits

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Spanky: the spokes are a weave of kevlar fibres which have a special flange which bolts to the hub and special nipples. The plastic is just for protection, and makes them some funny. There are 72 radial fibres (2 x 36 hole) and then some extras which weave there way between nipples in a spirograph fashion.

FYI That Manitou 3 System FS which is decked out in Ringle and Grafton goodies has never been ridden (other than round the block) and no Ango doesn't own it.

Last edited:

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
well I'll be damned turner... thanks for that...saved spanky a boat load of time just staring thinking... what the?

that 'retro' tomac needs different wheels....

spanky

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nah, that was definatly what I was refering to...(dont pull me up for cheating here...)

Well not yet anyway...:rolleyes: Hows yours comming along?
Actually I misread your original post in reference to the replica.

My Manitou is going slow, been waiting the last few months for a particular distributor to supply me with a 1 1/4 top cap which is in stock at the US factory....

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
that 'retro' tomac needs different wheels....
At the very least, some huge clear covers for the rear. Glad wrap might work too ;)

Actually I misread your original post in reference to the replica.

My Manitou is going slow, been waiting the last few months for a particular distributor to supply me with a 1 1/4 top cap which is in stock at the US factory....
A brand new set of those forks (Manitou Three) went on eBay not long ago...not bad for $600! But from memory, yours had the purple anno scheme going on...

Last edited:

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A brand new set of those forks (Manitou Three) went on eBay not long ago...not bad for $600! But from memory, yours had the purple anno scheme going on...
Yes mines Manitou 2 based and hence the purple (3D violet) works better due to the purple on the front and rear forks.

I'll may need a set of Manitou 3 forks for the Offroad Toad if I decide not to use the rigid Syncros fork - if I ever get round to building it...

Yeah those old bikes really take me back to the grouse memories of mountain biking when i first started, some of those yeti's still look better than most of the new bikes you see out there.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Anyone have any info/pics on the old Scott Peaks from the 80's? That was my first mtb and I can't find any info on it.

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
mate,

PURPLE ANNODISED BRAKE CALIPERS..... spanky's in lurv.... guessing they're hope brakes/disks, and probably well out of spanky's price range....

but... they're purple..

rock on

spanky

p.s. oh, and the levers too.......

Mammy

Likes Dirt
Managed to find a single Altek blade (BL40) for my front Maguras on ebay.de
Just as well, as I'm running XTR V-brakes for the rear.
And because it was only for one lever, I got it for less than 8AUD.
Could not have worked out any better.

If ever you need some good 'ol hydraulic rim lovin', check out the German ebay site.