The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

castillo

Likes Dirt
I'd say that guy is about .5 seconds from a torn groin. Probably the raddest photo i've ever seen, though.

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Not exactly "vintage" but I just found this pic of me from the 80's. It was taken at Centennial Park (that's Alison road behind) during a flood. These floods used to happen once a year and we'd go riding around in the park popping wheelies under water, great fun!

The bike is a GT. Look closely at the bars, they are really strange. You can hold them on the hoops on the sides like bar ends but also rest your elbows on the grips and hold on to the ends like triatholon bars.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Not exactly "vintage" but I just found this pic of me from the 80's. It was taken at Centennial Park (that's Alison road behind) during a flood. These floods used to happen once a year and we'd go riding around in the park popping wheelies under water, great fun!

The bike is a GT. Look closely at the bars, they are really strange. You can hold them on the hoops on the sides like bar ends but also rest your elbows on the grips and hold on to the ends like triatholon bars.
I hope you serviced your hubs and bb after that?!?!

mrbishi

Likes Bikes
1995 Diamondback Response
Originally tricked out with Deep V rims, XT V-Brakes, 7 speed LX components, Grip Shift, Rock Shox Mag 21 with Long Travel Kit.

Recently dusted it off, fitted some slicks, a new saddle and grips, a newish second hand Rock Shox Judy TT. Destickered and in the process of polishing the frame. Just need to get a lower rise stem and she'll be good!

Lots of fun belting around the city and to and from work.

Last edited:

Pete J

loves his dog
Might be picking up a nice old GT soon, it's in great nick and even sports original Tioga Psycho tyres that have been barely used! Pretty much everything on it is like new and it shouldn't cost much either. Just gotta see how the auction turns out.
In the meantime, i found this site with lots and lots of old mtb catalogues in pdf form. Enjoy! :)
http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/

Mr Bungle

Likes Bikes
I had one of these Pro Flex 855's in the 90's..until the frame cracked :( The frame is still sitting in the garage waiting to be polished up and mounted on the garage wall

jbg

Likes Dirt
cannondale superV DH4000

this is my old dh rig.

1996 cannondale super V DH4000.

still in original condition (see pics) has 120mm (4 inches) air sprung front suspension and a whopping 6 inches rear travel, sachs disc brakes, syncros titanium seatpost, irc missile dh tires and coda magic dh crankset with coda dh chain device.
had a few of them over the years and allways loved them since seeing missy and co (volvo cannondale team....google it kiddies) race them at the worlds in cairns.
will post some better pics up if i can get the real camera working

Attachments

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys, reckon Cannondale will notice if we...
Assume thats a reference to the "Righty" rear end. Its been a while since I've seen pics of that bike. Those with a keen eye will note the first generation XTR rapid rise rear derailleur.

DW-1

Dirt Works
Any better photos? The pack doesn't aid the pic much...
ummmm... heh heh... I was trying to hide the Mozo fork fitted.

(hey I had nothing around that was "more" ridable in 1" steerer...)

I now have a nice collection of old Rock Shox mag series forks (10's, 20's, 21's) that I'm hoping to build one functioning pair of forks from...

Elvis.