The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

Arete

Likes Dirt
My first Dh bike was one of these, with an MRP, DHO fork and a hayes up front. Gnarcore.

My first duallie was one of these.

mrbishi

Likes Bikes
I now have a nice collection of old Rock Shox mag series forks (10's, 20's, 21's) that I'm hoping to build one functioning pair of forks from...
I'm slightly annoyed that I didn't ask for my Mag 21 back when I got the new fork fitted on my Diamondback - nice piece of MTB history there :) I even had the LT kit put in em!

starship303

Likes Dirt
my ol' skool vintage MTB

I've posted this up elsewhere but anyway, here's my contribution to this thread - Santa Cruz's first ever production MTB, the 3" travel Tazmon...
this is a late 1997 frame (original production started in 1994). She still get ridden every now and then (by friends) and i think will be doing the Sydney-to-Gong ;).

For more details see this post.

(BTW any of your ol' skool experts know the model of the fork on this ^^?? Its a 2001 Bomber Air, 80mm, but thats all i know - unsure if its a Z2, Z3, Atom, etc... can get better pics of forks if needed)

Last edited:

Crippler

Likes Dirt
Bad photo of a photo...but this is me circa 1994 at Thredbo.....Marzocchi DH frame with a whopping 2" travel, tre cool Tioga disk etc.....hows that chain-ring!!

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I now have a nice collection of old Rock Shox mag series forks (10's, 20's, 21's) that I'm hoping to build one functioning pair of forks from...

Elvis.
If you get stuck I have a set of functioning Mag 21s which I've been keeping as a spare for the Mag 21s on my old Klein.

A Z2 Bomber with a 1" steerer would be a much better bet in my opinion though.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
(BTW any of your ol' skool experts know the model of the fork on this ^^?? Its a 2001 Bomber Air, 80mm, but thats all i know - unsure if its a Z2, Z3, Atom, etc... can get better pics of forks if needed)
Im gunna go for X-Fly/Z2 Atom. More likely the X-fly though because of the black trim but I cant see the external adjusters. What external adjustments does it have?

Last edited:

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
And one of these was my dream bike for some time

I'd rather your Yeti.
I know someone with a very good condition palmer replica, give me an offer and I'll pass it on. He's an ex bike shop owner and over 50, so she never got much work, doubt it ever downhilled in anger.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Looks like its gone though a make over itself already with suspended forks and the XT rear mech.

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks like its gone though a make over itself already with suspended forks and the XT rear mech.
The custom painted Mag 21 was optional back in 93 and is actually rarer than the rigid forks even though they are a lot less popular these days with collectors etc.

The parts were the previous owners "upgrades" which have been taken off and are to be replaced with M900 XTR parts in the makeover.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
^ Best Mountain Bike Film Ever. Soundtrack is A1. Love when they are in the Humvee...laughing.

"When in doubt; Chicken Out"

Last edited:

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That was a great film, shows how little the way the format of MTB films has changed...

however everything just looked super dangerous on those bikes in lycra... I guess this is the era that gave mountain biking its really dangerous aura.