The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Beautiful rig dude.

Now this would fit the bill for me, if only I lived 800 k's north of where I live now this thing would be mine.

GT STS Lobo

I really have to get away from ebay, I'm going broke buying old bikes and parts.

Speaking of which, I just picked up another GT, this time an LTS-2 frame.

Last edited:

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I love how this thread just keeps ticking along.

Is it heresy to post up this? It is old news and I'm sure a few here have seen it in Dirt Rag, but I thought it looked nice:

From the Mountain Goat Cycles blog. And of course see MOMBAT.

I'm getting really interested in this 'neo-retro' thing.

Last edited:

donny70

Likes Dirt
Beautiful rig dude.

Now this would fit the bill for me, if only I lived 800 k's north of where I live now this thing would be mine.

GT STS Lobo

I really have to get away from ebay, I'm going broke buying old bikes and parts.

Speaking of which, I just picked up another GT, this time an LTS-2 frame.

I was also looking at the lobo and trying to figure out
if any of my mates were going that way for the holidays.

In the meantime here's an LTS I've just built up for the missus,
I've done some powdercoating on the cranks and swingarm to match the forks...

taquar

Likes Dirt
I was also looking at the lobo and trying to figure out
if any of my mates were going that way for the holidays.

In the meantime here's an LTS I've just built up for the missus,
I've done some powdercoating on the cranks and swingarm to match the forks...

As crazy and wacko and awesome as that bike is. I love it. WHERE CAN I GET ONE?!?!

Admittedly, just for the cool suspension design. :D

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Man that's sweet. Mine's a little older, a 96 without the curved tubes. Somehow I don't think the build I have in mind will look as good though, great work.

taquar LTS' are popping up quite often on ebay, problem is most of them are already broken or the wrong size.

floody

Wheel size expert
Yeah I'd love to own a LTS-DH but the reality is most of them broke, repeatedly, in the chainstays, and if not there then under the headtube, and would have been made into coke cans more than a decade ago.

Last edited:

donny70

Likes Dirt
Here's the GT STS-2 I'm working on with some detail shots - its still a work in progress.

I got the bike from the States when the Aussie dollar was on par with the US dollar.
It cost $160 to ship it over here minus the original wheels. The original owner had back problems
and couldn't cycle it so it was put in storage a year after it was bought with about 100 miles on it...

I've also found a home for the Look Fournales forks I've had squirrelled away under my bed for years.
I've replaced all the accessable bolts for titanium and the forks now weigh in at an unbelievable 1200g
and they are as stiff as a plank with zero flex whatsoever. I'm now just waiting for some olives and fittings
for my Magura HS33 rim brakes to finish the thing off. Gotta love those crosslink forks...

Last edited:

mtvicmik

Cannon Fodder
Yeah

Here's the GT STS-2 I'm working on with some detail shots - its still a work in progress.

I got the bike from the States when the Aussie dollar was on par with the US dollar.
It cost $160 to ship it over here minus the original wheels. The original owner had back problems
and couldn't cycle it so it was put in storage a year after it was bought with about 100 miles on it...

I've also found a home for the Look Fournales forks I've had squirrelled away under my bed for years.
I've replaced all the accessable bolts for titanium and the forks now weigh in at an unbelievable 1200g
and they are as stiff as a plank with zero flex whatsoever. I'm now just waiting for some olives and fittings
for my Magura HS33 rim brakes to finish the thing off. Gotta love those crosslink forks...

Now that is really nice. :cool::cool:

floody

Wheel size expert
That looks awesome. I'm not a fan at all of the Fournales, Girvin, AMP etc linkage forks but they really suit the bike in this case, very retro-futuristic.

Pre-recall lugged frame though? Little bit scary

donny70

Likes Dirt
That looks awesome. I'm not a fan at all of the Fournales, Girvin, AMP etc linkage forks but they really suit the bike in this case, very retro-futuristic.

Pre-recall lugged frame though? Little bit scary
Cheers. Not scared at all. There are plenty of modern frames that crack at a moments notice. As far as I'm aware there was never a recall on these frames and there are heaps still in use so I'll take my chances.

It's got character he he...

taquar

Likes Dirt
I recently found one of these in the weekend shopper:
lar_6044DSCN3892.JPG
A Giant ATX 1100.

According to the Ad it has Shimano XT/LX Gears, Brakes and Hubs, with WTB Rims, clipless pedals and Rockshox front and rear. It doesn't specify any more than that, was thinking, for $500, is this a good deal? Cause I don't mind the look of the bike, just hoping that it's in OK condition... It's local too, which helps. :)

donny70

Likes Dirt
I recently found one of these in the weekend shopper:
View attachment 189733
A Giant ATX 1100.

According to the Ad it has Shimano XT/LX Gears, Brakes and Hubs, with WTB Rims, clipless pedals and Rockshox front and rear. It doesn't specify any more than that, was thinking, for $500, is this a good deal? Cause I don't mind the look of the bike, just hoping that it's in OK condition... It's local too, which helps. :)
They ride well and the pic doesn't do the bike justice they look funky as! There was even a carbon version of this bike. It came out in 1999 for about $1500 if memory serves me. You might be able to bargain, if not it just depends on how much you like the bike...