The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

Arran

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm still tossing up between M732 & M900 for the build. I have both groupsets ready to go but no matter what, the build will be pretty bling-free. Should I go preiod correct & make the bike less enjoyable to ride or chuck the XTR on & have a lighter, better performing bike??? :confused:

I stripped back the paint on the fork leg cracks tonight & to my disbelief, the alloy's not cracked! There's a heap of 'bog' around the welds to smooth out the apeparance of the mitre & I guess it's dried out & cracked but the welds & tubes are A1! Sweet! Now I just have to get the keyhole cracks welded (no biggie) & it's ready for a prep & respray...

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm still tossing up between M732 & M900 for the build. I have both groupsets ready to go but no matter what, the build will be pretty bling-free. Should I go preiod correct & make the bike less enjoyable to ride or chuck the XTR on & have a lighter, better performing bike??? :confused:

I stripped back the paint on the fork leg cracks tonight & to my disbelief, the alloy's not cracked! There's a heap of 'bog' around the welds to smooth out the apeparance of the mitre & I guess it's dried out & cracked but the welds & tubes are A1! Sweet! Now I just have to get the keyhole cracks welded (no biggie) & it's ready for a prep & respray...
That's great news on the cracks, i was wondering if it was a weld crack or just in the finish. Have you got the right fluro paint of the finish??

group wise I'd be leaning towards period M732 and saving the M900 for a slightly newer build, but M900 won't look out of place at all. I'm not sure if you've ridden an old rigid Klein before (or recently) but I don't think M732 will detract from the performance too much either ;)

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt

They said it couldn't be done. My 1997 Research Dynamics, built up as a pub-bike-commuter and recently sold.

The build-up was loosely based on the idea of cruiser for the street. A little bit of BMX cruiser and a little bit of Klunker fat-tire cruiser (but MTB to street not street to MTB).

Arran

Likes Bikes and Dirt
'94 AMP Research B2 (dearly departed...)

I just came across this old pic (I scanned the print, sorry for the lack of quality) of my old pride & joy. I really miss this bike but I don't think i'll bother trying to replicate it. It was too maintenance hungry & too fragile.

* The bushes had to be replaced every 3 Months
* I had to rebuild the rear shock every 3-6 Months
* I bent 3 sets of the Control tech Ti bars before the wholesaler refused to replace any more & gave me my money back!
* The Maguras crushed the Araya rims.
* The seat tube eventually bent like a banana

Frame: '94 AMP Research B2, medium, black front triangle, polished rear, AMP coil-over shock, AMP seatstay bridge

Fork: RS SL Ti with LT kit (2.5"!). Very quickly got rid of the F1 fork it came with!

Headset: Dia-Compe 1 1/8" Ahead (no other options @ the time!)
Stem: Control Tech 1 1/8" ahead, 0 degree, 135mm reach
Handlebar: Control Tech Ti bulge bars
Grips: Magura Cork
Barends: None (strange for me...)

Brakes: Magura HS33 Raceline (first set in New Zealand)
Brake Pads: Magura standard
Brake Cables: Magura Hydraulic
Cantilever cable hangers: N/A
Brake Levers: Magura HS33 Raceline

Shifters: M900 withMagura perches
Front Derailleur: M900 34.9
Rear Derailleur: M900 with SRP blue anodized alloy pivot bolt & pulley bolts
Derailleur Cables: XTR stainless inners, XTR grey outers
Cassette: M900 12-32
Chain: Dura-Ace 8-speed
Cranks: M900 175
Crank Bolts: M900 8mm allen head
Chainrings: M900 46, 36, 26
Chainring bolts: SRP blue anodized alloy
Bottom Bracket: UN 90, 68/107
Pedals: M737

Hub Skewers: M900
Rims: Araya RM-395 Team 32h
Hubs: M900 32h
Nipples: Wheelsmith blue anodized alloy, 12mm
Spokes: Wheelsmith DB 2.0/1.8/2.0
Tyres: Panaracer folding HC Smoke & Dart (later changed to Magics when they were introduced)
Tubes: Panaracer latex

Saddle: Flite
Seatpost: Control Tech 31.6mm
Seatpost Binder: Ringle' 'holey' clamp with Ti bolt, black

Weight: 24lb even (from memory)

Arran

Likes Bikes and Dirt
During a recent trip home I found this image in one of Mum's photo albums. Thought you might like a laugh so I scanned & uploaded it for your viewing pleasure. :behindsofa:

From memory I was racing a local dual slalom race in NZ. Must have been either '91 or '92:

/\

I still have those sunnies! lol (JT Threads)

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Is it?

Chainstays are a little too thin. I'd say it's older. 1999 perhaps?

Seems to have aftermarket rocker arms too.

Shameless plug. RS Quadra up for grabs. Bought them off RCOH a while back for my ATX but it never eventuated.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
No worries man.

The 2000 Stab Dee Lux has a bend in the seat tube and some slightly different gusseting at the head tube. Swing arm assembly is also noticeably different with slightly smaller/narrower gauge chain stays and a less 'angle' to your example.

Figured it had to be older but since the 1999 had that kooky curvy down tube (google it - it's badass!), your rig would have to be c.1998 by my estimate.

Rockers are definitely aftermarket/custom additions - possibly a travel upgrade?

p1pb1650964.jpg
Perhaps this one?

*shrugs*