The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the former, but the merlin version

Its one of those things... my dream bike is a Xizang, not too hard to get, one finished on ebay today and another in a few days and i'm sure there will be more and they are not too pricey. That is my relaistic dream bike.

My money is no object dreaam bike is the Raliegh tomac. Have always lusted after one, but never thought I'd get the oportunity to get one. Are they worth that much, well no,m but then the amount that are around and the times they come up for sale... Its more than I want to pay...but I do have the money...
So its tough, becuase its a pretty silly thing to do...

Last edited:

floody

Wheel size expert
Still absurd, unless it belonged to the man himself/has race provenance, cannot possibly see $10k in any old mountain bike.

GT experts...What is this?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251003449733?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_2519wt_1185

I know it says its a team avalanche from 92 which I think was the top end steel GT...or was that a Psyclone?

However, Im not convinced...obviously its chrome, I think a 92 TA was bright yellow? And those dropouts which have vertical adjusters (what for?) arent something I remember from back in the day.

Clearly there is no way to tell what tubing is used by pics...anyone got any ideas?

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/25100344...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_2519wt_1185

I know it says its a team avalanche from 92 which I think was the top end steel GT...or was that a Psyclone?

However, Im not convinced...obviously its chrome, I think a 92 TA was bright yellow? And those dropouts which have vertical adjusters (what for?) arent something I remember from back in the day.

Clearly there is no way to tell what tubing is used by pics...anyone got any ideas?
Looks like a Bravado that has been paint stripped and the parts plated, that said though they may have chosen to have a rigid fork over a Mag21 and it is an Avalanche. Groove tube and the vertical adjusters. From memory they were True Temper tubes. Can't be certain sorry.

Thanks Fatman...Bravado looks like the most likely I guess. I haven't seen the vertical adjusters on an avalanche...Bravado is the one that was missing from my fuzzy memory.

donny70

Likes Dirt
Selling my ibis szazbo frame with alps 4 shock. No time to build it up I'm afraid and it's been lying around too long. I'll probably just stick it on fleabay because its all retro and not suited to the general trading area.
I'll stick the kooka cranks and stems and bits and bobs up too.

Anyway the Missus wants a bunch of stuff gone.To fund her new ride I might add. meh

If anyone here is interested before I do pm me or I can list all the parts with prices here too...

These lx brakes are for karma though, whoever wants them for an old build they're free.
I think I've even got a few stamps lying around so no shipping either...

Last edited:

RCOH

Eats Squid
I have a chance to pick up the bike below. I thought it was an Al-mega but can't find any other examples with wishbone seat stays. Do you think it's an O.G. Alpine Stars?

7238gm_20.jpeg

donny70

Likes Dirt
What would you take for it? I've been watching it since you posted it up FleaBay it this arvo. Thought it mught have been yours... :)
Hey Arran $300 including a courier to your door will secure it
and that's me not even making my money back on it...

Last edited: