The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

acads

Likes Dirt
First post on RB and I like the old school bikes in the vintage thread , so my contribution .
The GT LTS 4000 !

Bought it new I think in '97 but hasn't been ridden in anger for years then I got all excited , dusted it off and took it for a spin . Fairly standard except for the riser bars , seat and rear mech ( broke the orig a few weeks after purchase whilst riding the down hill track at buller ! ) . Im currently fixing the std rims and looking for some brake pads for the avid brakes and will either put it back in service or flog it on ebay .

montagna1

Likes Bikes
mar2.jpg

Thought I'd have a crack at joining in...

Not my own bike... I'm not sure if it's as crazy as the first two...

A Marin Vario circa 1995

heavyp

You heard it here first
That Marin is actually a Vario No limits.
Same guys who built the B1 DH bikes of the mid to late 90's
This was one of my dream bikes back when I got into the DH scene, here's a photo of a poster my old man sent me over from the uk last year.

p0pb8899245.jpg

moorey

call me Mia
For those who missed my pyp thread, finally secured the bike I've been chasing for many years.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/moorey1971/patriot/IMG_0856.jpg

sacrelige to say in a vintage thread, but I'll be modernising it to make it a daily trail bike.
Drivetrain is munted anyway, brakes are only m525, and bar/stem combo aren't my cuppa.
Boxxers have a cosmetic scratch and need a service, and are selling them priced accordingly.
Spare original supernovas look to have sold almost before being listed. Nice fork, but need cash for this bad boy, I'll worry about regret later.
Wheels are fine (ex325 on ringle front/hope bulb rear) and will also be sold to make way for stealth destickered hoops with pro 2 evo on flows
most likely air front and rear suspension, or a Ti micro 44 coil bomber, haven't decided.

Inbox your vintage hate mail, but it's a bike I want to be rideable, reliable and not too heavy, while still resembling the bike I have lusted after for the last 12 years :behindsofa:

heavyp

You heard it here first
You're a long way from Kansas without a horse, boy!
Ill back you all the way on this one Moorey (BUY BRITISH) this build could be absolutely amazing you just gotta do it right get some Pikes on it

Im in the market for a 223 but for some reason now im serious about wanting one no one has one ggggrrrrrrr

Ps: Even thou the paint is ok are you getting it re sprayed/powder coated ? (If you do don't get a stupid colour haha)

moorey

call me Mia
Cheers mate. It will be a build that only I will appreciate (same spec as my 3 other more modern trail bikes). It needs the diet to make it a bike I can love on my 70km Sunday morning trail rides. Love old pikes, want light as practically possible without spending big or compromising on strength.

And no, keeping the original colour scheme. Love it, unlike 99% of people :high5:

heavyp

You heard it here first
Cheers mate. It will be a build that only I will appreciate (same spec as my 3 other more modern trail bikes). It needs the diet to make it a bike I can love on my 70km Sunday morning trail rides. Love old pikes, want light as practically possible without spending big or compromising on strength.

And no, keeping the original colour scheme. Love it, unlike 99% of people :high5:
Oh I thought you were going ultra modern as this frame would be killer i reckon and strong enough, about the colour I was thinking Black but just a nice fresh super shiny high gloss black and maybe some new decals as Orange still do them if your nice enough in an email.

moorey

call me Mia
Circa 2002 frame finish stays. Has been under frame skin for almost whole life. Paint/decals are 9.5/10, and going nowhere it really won't look like a modern bike if I can help it (aside from a dropper)

heavyp

You heard it here first
Circa 2002 frame finish stays. Has been under frame skin for almost whole life. Paint/decals are 9.5/10, and going nowhere it really won't look like a modern bike if I can help it (aside from a dropper)
Droppers don't look modern they look F^%king awful and don't belong on a bike from any era haha

moorey

call me Mia
Droppers don't look modern they look F^%king awful and don't belong on a bike from any era haha
With remotes, yep, under the seat lever, I'm god with. That said, I'm stuck with a 27.2 post, and using a ks 272. They look worse than most due to piggy back reservoir. :tsk: