The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was there today, it was a really good turnout and vibe. Live band, decent food, beer by green beacon and a Mr whippy which I visited twice. Bikes wise it was 90% roadie related, and honestly no mtb representation that I can recall from trades, private sellers had a few scraps but you can imagine the good stuff was few and far between, but perhaps I didn't have an eye for what was being offered.

The show and shine is just waiting for the bikes from this thread, some entrants offerings were pathetic, obviously entered what they rode in on with no effort at all. I can't even remember which knobbly tyre won. But overall was still a good time.

shhhteve

Likes Dirt
what a great day....
im a complete newb when it comes to vintage roadies... but some of the detail on them was amazing....

i cant believe they dont have them more than once a year....

si618

Likes Dirt
1997 Specialized Hardrock Reboot

SpecializedHardrock1997.jpg

This is my better ½'s bike, which went unloved when our son was born, so I ended up using it as my bad-weather commuter, and after more than a few years of neglect it was in pretty bad shape.

The only things that survived the reboot was the frame, forks, brake callipers and seat-post clamp. Cockpit and 3x10 drivetrain off my new commuter, new rims (Alex DH19) and headset (Cane Creek Tank Hit).

Being a small size it should also suit our pump track pretty well, so looking forward to when things dry out and we get a family train going on the track :)

floody

Wheel size expert
Still not keen on those forks Donny but that looks awesome! At least the Shivers kind of resemble a mini F-1.

Whee! Nearly done, reupholstering my spare Super Turbo saddle and a few fasteners need swapping out to satisfy me (need four good shimano canti brake bolts and washers if anyone has a source!) but its rideable enough for a spin around the local path and some cul de sac wheelies (front end is super light with the alloy fork!)

Will build some more period wheels down the track as I have some M900 hubs but these are my 'rider' rim brake wheels.

Last edited:

mtb1611

Seymour
^^^^Cor blimey! I remember seeing one of these at a National round circa '93, twas the Toblerone top tube that caught my eye! I think I may have tried to eat it.

fitzroybikeco

Likes Dirt
Looks good. I have a carbon one.

Re the Mags
I will scann in a bunch of GT stuff, there is a nice article on the zaskar LE and a few nice ads that I have found so far. Turns out I have them from 1991 through to about 2005.

cheers, russ

heavyp

You heard it here first
Looks good. I have a carbon one.

Re the Mags
I will scann in a bunch of GT stuff, there is a nice article on the zaskar LE and a few nice ads that I have found so far. Turns out I have them from 1991 through to about 2005.

cheers, russ
What mags ? Dirt, MBUK, Grip, or American rubbish ?

donny70

Likes Dirt

Sorry for the shit picture, just a minor update with the wheels and smokes. Found a mint controltech seatpost in 26.6 which is on the way. Never thought I'd find one either :)

rone

Eats Squid
Following a chat with an old mate in the UK led to a conversation about what we have hanging in the shed. He had 'an old frame' gathering dust. Asked if I wanted it. For free. It's on its way.

Attachments

rone

Eats Squid
I'd like to get it period correct, 'v' brakes, 1 inch steerer rigid fork etc. I've got some old RaceFace Turbines and as-new XT 8-speed hubs kicking about. The rest I will have to e-search for.

There's nothing locally - Floody has bought it all.