The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

fitzroybikeco

Likes Dirt
I am missing my LE a bit lately so about to see if the crack can be welded. Can't wait for the RTS to be finished and be able to take it for a spin.

evObda2 show us a pic of your LE.

russ

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What better for a first post than to show you my 97 Mongoose Rockadile SX :)

She is still in full functioning order and is used as my rail trail cruiser. Complete with original grip shift and manitou forks.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is my 97 Mongoose Rockadile SX.

Still in original working condition including gripshift lol.
I still use it as my rail trail cruiser, it has a great sporty geometry thats so fun to ride I cant part with it.

Attachments

Haakon

Keeps on digging
So who knows what this is? Has "Spectre" writing on it, looks early 80's back when the line between BMX and MTB was blurred. Was at the tip shop for $120, was kinda tempted...

IMG_7552.jpg

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
So who knows what this is? Has "Spectre" writing on it, looks early 80's back when the line between BMX and MTB was blurred. Was at the tip shop for $120, was kinda tempted...
Hmmm...tip shop was charging more than it was probably worth back in the day. That's a non-descript cheapie (the rear triangle and the parts specification give it away). On the flip side it is in fabulous condition...

It does have mountain beater potential (swap the one piece BMX crank for a three piece, move the levers up onto thumbies) but not at that price.

barnesy

Likes Dirt
Bridgestone MB2

Put this together as a nice 'ride to the shop' bike. It's a classic MTB but unfortunately my body parts wouldnt be up to riding it in the bush nowadays . So cruiser it is. Better for both of us !

1985-86 Bridgestone MB2, lugged full CrMo frame made in Japan.
White Bros cranks , Weinmann front rim, Sun rear ( I have some 80's Belgium rims that are going to go on it soon ? .. Can't remember brand ), Schwalbe fat franks, and early Shimano brakes. I had a 140mm original 80's Ritchey stem on it but it just felt too long.

Attachments

fitzroybikeco

Likes Dirt
Nice, always wanted a classic Ritchey.

Put this together as a nice 'ride to the shop' bike. It's a classic MTB but unfortunately my body parts wouldnt be up to riding it in the bush nowadays . So cruiser it is. Better for both of us !

1985-86 Bridgestone MB2, lugged full CrMo frame made in Japan.
White Bros cranks , Weinmann front rim, Sun rear ( I have some 80's Belgium rims that are going to go on it soon ? .. Can't remember brand ), Schwalbe fat franks, and early Shimano brakes. I had a 140mm original 80's Ritchey stem on it but it just felt too long.

floody

Wheel size expert
Bought another bike this week. Wanted one of these for a while. Paint is knackered and everything's got surface corrosion but apart from the saddle, grips and tyres it's all original and in working order if a bit shabby. Rides really nicely! My Mongoose is a bit too rare and a bit too fragile for regular trail riding, I've come to the conclusion so I'll use this. Want it to really bucket down so I can use those Specialized Storm Controls in their element.

floody

Wheel size expert
I've been riding it a bit, it's a lot of fun actually. Riding position is quite upright and high; with a long head tube, high stem and high BB, it's like a 4x4! Also manuals inexplicably well, like better than most modern bikes, downhill particularly. Need to get some better pads for the front (rear U-brake has heaps of power though) and I think I'll get Timbuk2s for summer.

I reckon I need to get an ATAC for the Mongoose with some rise in it now for a similar position, it's just too low and long to be much fun. Fast though when it's smooth and flowy but things get way, way out of hand in the rough.

Warwick

Likes Dirt
My second 93 Cannondale M1000. I'm thinking lightweight single-speed, no suspension v-brake mountain bike - or failing that, a commuter if it's too difficult for a fat old bloke to ride in the hills.

Attachments