The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
View attachment 348098 Found this pic of my original MTB today.

1996 Mongoose IBOC SX, full alloy frame (with some CNC artwork), Judy XC’s (63mm travel), full LX with XT rear derailleur (3*8), canti brakes. Only upgrade was a shorter KORE stem (from the crazy long fucker that was stock).

Was a great bike. Looked awesome in bare alloy. Did numerous runs down the Delatite River trail back in the days when it wasn’t marked and instead of bridges across the river there where 6 foot drops straight into the water in places.

Frame had to be replaced around 2000 due to a crack in the head tube at the bottom of the front.
That looks very similar to my Rockadile SX of the same vintage (97)
Still gets out on the trails from time to time. Complete with original enormous stem lol.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've given up on the period retro build for an axis TT frame I have. Going modern retro with parts on hand so I can finally ride the damn thing. What's the most efficient way to brush ti new again? Scotch Brite sounds really slow.

John U

MTB Precision
That looks very similar to my Rockadile SX of the same vintage (97)
Still gets out on the trails from time to time. Complete with original enormous stem lol.

Very similar. I sold mine, with the replacement frame, to a mate. It’s still going. I replaced the drive train on it for him a couple of years ago.

Keep an eye on your head tube. It would be a nasty place for it to let go.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Out of soft stuff? Nice. I still have some polyurethane 45A left that I need to find a use for.
Dunno the exact grade of polyurethane he uses. He did ask weight, size of the existing elastomers and travel so I assume he can produce them from several types of material.

John U

MTB Precision
It's still got the tin guard on it that most people remove.
Wow. I’ve seen quite a few of these. I love them. Have never seen that abomination. Usually they have a factory looking clear shaped plastic guard shielding the rider from the high mounted cog. Even new bikes in shops.

Last edited:

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
I found this Raleigh Technium minus a wheelset and a few bits a few months ago. Have tried to return it to its owner via facebook, gumtree and the local club putting the word out, but no one has claimed it.

Thinking I might clean it up and turn it into a second commuter.