The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

dA_bOmBbIkE

Likes Dirt
Doing a full restoration of this old Brodie Devo for a customer. The frame means a lot to the customer and he wants to get things done properly. Today I completely stripped the frame this involves getting out some bearings that had been sitting in the frame for 15 + years. A little heat on the alloy and a bearing puller was enough to get them out. Next step is a full Sandblast and respray. Check the upcycler for updates https://www.facebook.com/christheupcycler/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hoping someone can help identify these forks and if they are any good or worth repairing.

Picked up a very cheap trek y22. Only becuase I bought a Y11 back in the day and nostalgia and all. Previous owner decided the nude carbon was no good so gave it a top notch spray bomb in purple

It seems to have virtually no original parts on it, including the forks.

safreek

Hoping someone can help identify these forks and if they are any good or worth repairing.

Picked up a very cheap trek y22. Only becuase I bought a Y11 back in the day and nostalgia and all. Previous owner decided the nude carbon was no good so gave it a top notch spray bomb in purple View attachment 360055View attachment 360056View attachment 360057

No idea about the fork, but you certainly have a job ahead of you

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The fork arch looks a bit pre 2000 Manitou before reverse arch.
Serial numbers anywhere ?
Haven’t seen anything. Is there a database or something that can help identify them? Will pull the bike part over the next few days. Might give some more insight.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences

Picked up a very cheap trek y22. Only becuase I bought a Y11 back in the day and nostalgia and all. Previous owner decided the nude carbon was no good so gave it a top notch spray bomb in purple View attachment 360055View attachment 360056View attachment 360057

Hard to tell from the photos but looks like a ~97 era Rock Shox Judy when they switched to one-piece lowers.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hard to tell from the photos but looks like a ~97 era Rock Shox Judy when they switched to one-piece lowers.

View attachment 360063
Yup that fits. Threw me because the frame was nude under the purple and my 96 Judy C’s in the shed weren’t one piece lowers.

Turns out it is more likely ‘97 and the forks are probably original along with rear der, brake levers and shifters. The obvious difference is the rear triangle which is def 97 spec not 96

Knowing more parts are original makes so much better value (2 digit price!)

Not sure about restoration, not a fan of the white, much preferred the nude carbon look.

Last edited:

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had a little time to play with the Y-22. Fortunately the poor masking technique was offset by poor prep and cheap paint. Overspray is coming off fairly quickly. I’ve cleaned off the forks and rear shock and started on the rear triangle.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
While I’m on a bit of a roll, the grip shifter grips are cactus. I’m also not a fan, and considering period trigger shifters. The rear derailleur is a Grip Shift ESP 9.0 carbon, will it play nice with some Shimano LX or XT shifters or would it be a different pull ratio?