The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Picked up this old Marin frame today which has been hanging in a shed and never built. Plan is to acquire a few parts and build it up to use for all round riding and trail use. Not sure what colour theme I want to go for yet, but anodised parts go well with a raw frame.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Picked up this old Marin frame today which has been hanging in a shed and never built. Plan is to acquire a few parts and build it up to use for all round riding and trail use. Not sure what colour theme I want to go for yet, but anodised parts go well with a raw frame.
View attachment 363500
Do the top and down tubes have a sort of triangular profile? My Mongoose has the weird shaped tubes, I wondered if any other bikes of the time had them.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Do the top and down tubes have a sort of triangular profile? My Mongoose has the weird shaped tubes, I wondered if any other bikes of the time had them.
Yeah, they are, Marin called the profile 'Ovation', but not sure who made the tubes to start with, but I'm sure they were common to other brands at the time.

RapidRob

Likes Bikes
Spotted these bitchin' vintage boots for sale in my local area. They're not my thing but figured someone one here might enjoy them for a bit of vintage MTB cosplay ;)

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Yeah, they are, Marin called the profile 'Ovation', but not sure who made the tubes to start with, but I'm sure they were common to other brands at the time.
I think mid 90's a number of the Taiwanese made brands (definitely Mongoose) were coming out of the Merida factory. The year after Mongoose returned to round tubes. These don't seem to have a name from Mongoose but the alloy was apparantly ca(2) or complex aluminium array aka marketing bullshit. The goose also has square seat and chain stays. Actually started to get it back to ridng condition over the weekend.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Here's my olde skoole MTB - Bought new in 1992 .
I've been waiting 3 months for some bars to come from OS .
It will be my Gravel Bike as the 1983 Apollo may not be suitable ( as i am old and may not like riding all curled up )
That's a sweet rig, those forks are beauties!