The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just want to update the Burners ( Farkers ? )
Rode the old girl today - Wow - Modern Bikes are fantastic !
It was slower than a Fatbike over the same course by a small margin , But twitchy , ran fine - rims brakes are .....well not as good as disc brakes !
But so light and accelerates so nicely even with my fat n slow legs !

Will try again , the good thing about lockdown and WFH is i can get out before work .
So , tomorrow will be either an Apollo on 27 x 32C tyres or an Masi on 700 x 40c
Both Steel framed Beauties !

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Chucked a photo up in what did you do with / for your bike today.
@beeb & @Scotty T wanted to see my old girl. Pretty sure there's photos around here somewhere of it but here goes!

97 Mongoose Rockadile SX, had her since new and still gets out occasionally for old times sake :)
Alloy frame with original Manitou Answer forks.
Current driveline is Deore 3 X 8 speed, still running off the original sram gripshift.
Wheels are later Deore hubs with Zac rims. But I also still have the original wheels in the bike shed.

With original wheels on it

Still loves a lap of Lysterfield park, gets a bit sketchy on the tree roots with that stem lol

But mostly used for riding with the kids and hitting the local rail trails.

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
That's cool! 90's 'gooses are always cool to see. I had an early 90's Iboc for a while with a big ugly amoeba stem, it was good fun.

I'm looking forward to riding the Cinder Cone around the flat trails once my son is on his own bike.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
This was in my group at a social ride this morning. Similar to a Wheeler hardtail I bought in early '95 and raced for 2 seasons. Except mine was a different colour, had cantis and those cheap Zokes (the owner actually has the Zokes and reckons they're still in good nic).

Check out the bullmoose bars! Bike would have come with a flat bar and these look like a modern version but still awesome to see on the trails.

Such a cool bike, made me kinda sad I was riding something new.

ausdb

Being who he is
This was in my group at a social ride this morning. Similar to a Wheeler hardtail I bought in early '95 and raced for 2 seasons. Except mine was a different colour, had cantis and those cheap Zokes (the owner actually has the Zokes and reckons they're still in good nic).

Check out the bullmoose bars! Bike would have come with a flat bar and these look like a modern version but still awesome to see on the trails.

Such a cool bike, made me kinda sad I was riding something new.

View attachment 363887
I had a Giant ATX 770/780? of a similar vintage but with cantis like yours did and was originally rigid but I had fitted some mach V's until some miserable pr!ck broke into our place and stole it one Christmas eve. Twas a beautiful dark metallic green with a chameleon effect that went a bronzy/brown colour when the light changed.
I think it started my thing for steel hardtails

Last edited:

Scotty T

Walks the walk
So I want to order up some tyres to get the Mongoose rolling, Panaracer Smoke/Dart reissues. White's Bikes in Melb has them at $80 a piece. I want two rear and a front. 2 from White's costs more than 3 from Bike Components DE, shipped. WTF. I really don't want to order from overseas. But damn that kind of saving makes it hard. I'm going to ask White's whether he can do them a bit cheaper.

ausdb

Being who he is
So I want to order up some tyres to get the Mongoose rolling, Panaracer Smoke/Dart reissues. White's Bikes in Melb has them at $80 a piece. I want two rear and a front. 2 from White's costs more than 3 from Bike Components DE, shipped. WTF. I really don't want to order from overseas. But damn that kind of saving makes it hard. I'm going to ask White's whether he can do them a bit cheaper.
I have an original smoke and dart sc2.2 in my shed black wire beads, your welcome to them if you want. Only prob i'm in Perth so postage would probably kill it.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I have an original smoke and dart sc2.2 in my shed black wire beads, your welcome to them if you want. Only prob i'm in Perth so postage would probably kill it.
Mate, if they are in rideable condition hell yeah! I got rid of the 2.2 white ones in the above photo back a few posts as they'd gone a bit hard and were fraying on the tan wall, display only. I was looking at doing tubeless with the new ones which is probably not gonna fly with old ones but this is a good option to get it going.

ausdb

Being who he is
Mate, if they are in rideable condition hell yeah! I got rid of the 2.2 white ones in the above photo back a few posts as they'd gone a bit hard and were fraying on the tan wall, display only. I was looking at doing tubeless with the new ones which is probably not gonna fly with old ones but this is a good option to get it going.
I'll dig them out tomorrow and take a few snaps, from memory they looked a lot better than some minions I saw someone selling on bookface recently