The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

ausdb

Being who he is
Please don't laugh, the last time this was ridden in anger was on a Munda Biddi trip with a few mates pre kids 10 years ago, even then it was a mish mash bitser as my old FS Yurt bike couldn't fit any racks and I wanted at least one disc for the trip. Since then it's mainly been used to drag kids in the trailer around and I keep finding shorter and higher rise stems as my back and neck have got worse over the years.
It was time to put it down the other day, the Reba's have gone to a better place on my sons bike.

Last edited:

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Please don't laugh, the last time this was ridden in anger was on a Munda Biddi trip with a few mates pre kids 10 years ago, even then it was a mish mash bitser as my old FS Yurt bike couldn't fit any racks and I wanted at least one disc for the trip. Since then it's mainly been used to drag kids in the trailer around and I keep finding shorter and higher rise stems as my back and neck have got worse over the years.
It was time to put it down the other day, the Reba's have gone to a better place on my sons bike.

View attachment 365150
Find some cheap rigid forks and resurrect that thing!

ausdb

Being who he is
Find some cheap rigid forks and resurrect that thing!
I actually have some forks but they're 1" not 1-1/8“ plus there's another complete one still lurking in the shed. I need to get the bike count down by a significant number to be able to justify something more modern to the other half.

ausdb

Being who he is
On a roll here, had to clean the shed up a bit for another project means i can get at the bike graveyard. A 96 Iron Horse FS Works 2 yURT bike.
I must have been the only person to have bought one of these or at least the only person stupid enough to still have one now. I've never been able to find a picture of one on the interwebs. It served a purpose as I'd injured my back whilst working a part time job, was studying full time and there wasn't much around in the way of affordable FS bikes at the time. I used to have an article from mountain bike fiction about the company who did the original design that iron horse purchased. They were called Infusion design and sold a monocoque aluminium version themselves and also a monocoque hardtail.

Last edited:

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Ready to ride again. These Z1's were the first pair in Oz, and if you don't know about the Z1's this sums it up from MBR mag:

"Basically, before the Z1 suspension forks didn’t really work"

It feels completely wacky to ride, I think I'll drop a couple of spacers off the head tube to tighten up the steering a bit.

I made the rear tubeless but it's gonna need a few more PSI than 2.4 TR High Rollers for these reissue Panaracers, they are so skinny and tall.

I'm keen to see just how much slower it is than a modern bike on the downs, and I reckon if I'm feeling strong it'll be PR's uphill.

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
Chucked my 1996 Barracuda on gumtree last week, had a little interest but I didn't put a lot of effort into the ad. Took some new photos today and might have to use the missus' Facebook to list it. Was going to chuck it on the retro mtb Facebook but it's a private group.

Super cool looking bike but I bought it for the missus to ride and it just didn't happen. Would rather swap it for parts for the Kona.
20200815_090304_copy_2016x1512.jpg

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Chucked my 1996 Barracuda on gumtree last week, had a little interest but I didn't put a lot of effort into the ad. Took some new photos today and might have to use the missus' Facebook to list it. Was going to chuck it on the retro mtb Facebook but it's a private group.

Super cool looking bike but I bought it for the missus to ride and it just didn't happen. Would rather swap it for parts for the Kona.View attachment 365991
What do you need?

I'd consider one of these, had one stolen off the back of the ute years and years ago

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
What do you need?

I'd consider one of these, had one stolen off the back of the ute years and years ago

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
Front and rear derailleur, crankset and a 26.6mm seat post is the main stuff really. I've got xt levers/shifters, can make do with the brakes. At the moment I think I only have a DX rear mech and 7speed cassette.

I basically just want this;
Attach18768_20191226_094154.jpg

To become this
P1012163.JPG

Last edited:

ausdb

Being who he is

Super cool looking bike but I bought it for the missus to ride and it just didn't happen. Would rather swap it for parts for the Kona.View attachment 365991
It's not hard to join the retro group it will only take a day or two to get approved and you just need to promises not to be a fvckwit/chunt the same as here.
Is that the 16" size small, better get off my arse and put a pic up of it's big brother a red/white 18". Are the forks ridgy didge mines got Indy XC's
if this is the one @ashes_mtb was talking about the other day he'll be in heaven.

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
It's not hard to join the retro group it will only take a day or two to get approved and you just need to promises not to be a fvckwit/chunt the same as here.
Is that the 16" size small, better get off my arse and put a pic up of it's big brother a red/white 18". Are the forks ridgy didge mines got Indy XC's
if this is the one @ashes_mtb was talking about the other day he'll be in heaven.
Yeah, 16". Forks are original, it actually came with the manual and little tub of fork lube but no idea where those ended up.

I don't have Facebook so would need to use the missus' and it all just gets too hard. I'd imagine anyone on there would also trawl marketplace so someone might pop up with useful stuff.