The warranty game with Kona

Ben-ya-min

Likes Dirt
Hey guys!

Just wondering how many of you guys have tried to play the warranty game with Kona bikes, through their Australian importer Groupe Sportif.
Basically I would like to know what bike it was, what happened to it, how you went about warranty, their general attitude towards your claim and what the resolution was.
I'm looking more specifically for 2012 Kona Operators warranty claims but any stories of any Kona bikes would be greatly appreciated!
Even if you know a mate who has had issues and you know what the final result was that would be great.

Thanks heaps!

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think it would be safe to assume that if the frame failed due to a manufacturing defect then you'll have a new frame in the mail pretty quickly.
If you've had an accident and the frame has broken as a result then quiet frankly I don't think it's worth wasting their time trying to get a free frame.

What actually happened?

Mail Man

Likes Dirt
I had a warranty issue with a 2006 Stinky Delux. The rocker bent, there was no issue with a replacement even though I cased a 12 foot drop and that was the reason for the bend. It was a known warranty issue any way and they were replacing the part on all bikes as they were needed. So it is a different story really.

However I had no issues and it was all taken care of within a week.

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A mate broke his 2012 operator and received a 2013 frame within 2 weeks. They even sent his rear shock away to be checked to make sure it wasn't damaged. Impressive.

MARKL

Eats Squid
So what happened? This comment is not aimed specifically at the OP but I do think people have some fairly unrealistic views on warranty at times. Think of it like a car inside the warranty period; if your driving along and the car breaks warranty if you hit a telegraph pole talk to a smash repairer and pay up.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Op, have you bothered to contact Groupe? Why post this sh1te in the first place?

But.......

I know a mate, who knew a mate that was friends with a guy that lived next door to someone that knew a guy that rode a Kona Operator once. Does that count?

Last edited:

dunndog

Eats Squid
I don't actually know the guy Alpha, but I do know a bloke who sold a goat to a lady who's son went to school with the son of a bloke who saw someone riding a very similar bike once.
Amazing isn't it, the degrees of separation...

indica

Serial flasher
I had a Kona Stab once, I crashed it and it bent. Pretty sure it was John Howards fault.

moorey

call me Mia
OP seems to have a hidden agenda. I've had nothing but good dealings with Tyron at Grouppe. Baited breath to hear whats going on with this bike.