The watch thread.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was referring to this monstrosity some tool emailed me...
...might as well strap Big Ben to you arm.

Also, I did use the :llama: emote in my reply.
I clearly came at that too strong, I wasn't trying to be an Arse. Sorry if I missed that fella. All good. :^)

I actually like those but I can absolutely get that most would think it's missing something. Like the rest of the plane it came from.

The Space 3 is solid, not too showy and a little different.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I clearly came at that too strong, I wasn't trying to be an Arse. Sorry if I missed that fella. All good. :^)

I actually like those but I can absolutely get that most would think it's missing something. Like the rest of the plane it came from.

The Space 3 is solid, not too showy and a little different.
All good brah.

I could understand the appeal, if it were actually crowbarred out of a Soviet era mainframe from a nuclear sub. As it is, it just looks like the dash clock from a 70's Citroën.

MARKL

Eats Squid
Better than these...
$_12.JPG

At what point do you need a horizon indicator where you won't have the appropriate instrument in front of you?

Attachments

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do you even?

When don't you need to know that your arm is parallel to the horizon!
Those two are among the worst watches I've ever seen. I'd rather not wear one and use the force to tell the time.

It's no wonder you wondered if I was serious if that's what comes to mind when they're mentioned. (At least that's what I felt)
Hideous, form over function, statements where they're not required.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I hate replicas but the 55 fathoms kit for that isnt too bad. I'm sure will be a great watch regardless.
Just bought one of these on the unternet... a Seiko SKX007K2 Divers.

I wanted a cheap automatic divers, as I'm sick of changing batteries, and these get the nod... hopefully I won't find it too big a lump, as both my current divers are only 38mm.

Anyway, these get a lot of love, so we will see.

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Sticker price vs street price can vary a LOT depending on the brand but id say fairly confidently you should get 20-30% off the sticker price with an Omega when you walk into a dealers ready to buy and haggle with them.

Travis.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
These seem like $10,000 or so? Bit out of the budget. Might even look at just getting a really good Seiko?
The 300 can be had I the $3-4k range.

Or if you really want to spoil yourself, I remember the ex skyfall titanium went for $250kus odd a while back. They must be due to sell off the spectre watch soon.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
These seem like $10,000 or so? Bit out of the budget. Might even look at just getting a really good Seiko?
The go to watch would be a speed master, not a seamaster, it doesn't have to be the full moon watch one, just base model. Also look at oris, not as exclusive but might be something of interest. And I'd also look at Tudor, older or newer eg black bay. I'd also consider mint condition 2nd hand at that price point, and Imo stay away from Tag. I'd rather the Seiko option, not so say you can't spend 10k on a Seiko either!

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Seiko seems a bit weird - lots of watches for around $1000, then it jumps up to $10k for the Grand Seiko's! I'm a huge fan of Japanese efficiency, but also of resale values - if an Omega will hold it's value and last me 30 years, I might just get that.

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Rolex Sea Dweller?

I havent looked at watches for 10years and last id heard it was discontinued back around 2007/8, googling now i see they reintroduced it last year.

Not sure what the price is now or what the older versions sell for second hand now but back then they were around 7-8k, if i was looking for something to last my childrens childrens lifetimes and go up in value thats what id buy.

Travis.

Last edited:

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
I hate replicas but the 55 fathoms kit for that isnt too bad. I'm sure will be a great watch regardless.
I already got a few dodgy replicas from Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand... and am quite happy with the 007 as it is. I know there is a zillion mods for them but I don't really want to make it look like something else. I do like the 4 o'clock screw down crown and how the edge of the underside of the watch is curved and very comfortable.

MARKL

Eats Squid
Do you even?
Tell the time? Yeah, need critical updates on the position of my arm not so much.

Favorites from my collection.

Favorite - it is a fake but father's day gift from daughter...

DSC_0293.JPG

Real ones, vintage, collectible I have these three...

Elka
DSC_0301.JPG

Omega Seamaster
DSC_0303.JPG

Omega from 50's
DSC_0305.JPG

And everyday watch, Seiko Diver with shark mesh band
DSC_0306.JPG

Last edited:

John U

MTB Precision
Seiko seems a bit weird - lots of watches for around $1000, then it jumps up to $10k for the Grand Seiko's! I'm a huge fan of Japanese efficiency, but also of resale values - if an Omega will hold it's value and last me 30 years, I might just get that.
If you're worried about the watch losing value then getting a good second hand from a reliable dealer would reduce that impact. I seriously considered a second hand Omega Seamaster from a dealer in Sydney. I got a pretty good deal in Melbourne on a new one which helped me make the choice.

OscarWhitbread

Likes Bikes
I picked up this Citizen divers in September from their ebay store http://www.dutyfreeislandshop.com/citizen-bn0100-00e-bn0101-07e-eco-drive-promaster-excalibur-200m-iso-cert-divers-watch

It replaced a Citizen divers automatic that is looking a bit beaten up.

I wear my watch pretty much 24/7, sleep with it on as I'm blind and can't read the clock radio. I like not having to change a battery & getting it re sealed etc so for the new one I went down the Eco-Drive route. I figure if it lasts 10+ years without maintenance I'll be happy and ready for something different by then anyway. The lume is nice and bright at night, my only gripe is the date window is recessed pretty deep into the face so it can be hard to read.

Been happy with the last 3 Citizen's I've owned. I once had a Seiko that cost me $400, I'd saved hard to buy it for my 21st. I took it back to the store twice under warranty, stop watch wouldn't work and the alarm died. 12 months later I was walking down the street and noticed the crown missing, I was so pissed off I threw it straight into a bin on the street.