The watch thread.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Globemaster for sure.
Pie plate face. Fricken nutso Omega movement, and no numbers on the dial! Who needs numbers on a fancy watch. Are you 7 years old?

Jpez

Down on the left!
I’m not watch wearer so I shouldn’t even be commenting. And all can think when I look at the price of these is what a waste of good bike money. 10k for something that tells you the time and doesn’t even give you a blow job. Faaarkin hell.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I’m not watch wearer so I shouldn’t even be commenting. And all can think when I look at the price of these is what a waste of good bike money. 10k for something that tells you the time and doesn’t even give you a blow job. Faaarkin hell.
Yep, some of the prices make my bikes look sensible (still remember seeing a Cosmograph Daytona for sale in Singapore for a sneaky $120k). But personally it's what goes into them, the microcosm of having a nice accessory that also happens to be a crazy feat of engineering - which being the bike nerds we all secretly (or overtly) are makes for an easy crossover in appreciation.

If you buy smart it's also a hobby that can pay off if you have discipline (ha). If I'd bought the Tudor Pelagos I've always wanted three years ago I could've enjoyed it and flogged it right now for the same I bought it for provided it had been looked after.

MasterOfReality

After forever
Thanks guys. Had some time to think. On reflection the Omega is a bit fussy, in person it looks better than in internet pics.

Leaning towards the IWC, however it bugs me slightly that the 12 and 6 are chomped off, I can't unsee that. The Omega bezel sort of screams Rolex, which might be out of place on an Omega?

At this point in life I'll get more use out of a watch than $10k worth of bike stuff. Might as well spend money on ourselves before our kids start costing us real money. Trying to convince my accountant that this could be a business expense haha.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Agreed. How the hell could you need your watch to tell you what month it is.
It's not about the "need" for the function, it's all about the complications, the sheer engineering genius it takes to:

1) Design the function in the first place
B) Miniaturize it to fit in a case that fits on a wrist
3)Reduce friction loss to the point it is functional
4)Make these microscopic parts durable to the point they last centuries
5)Make the crazy functionality secondary to its breathtaking artistry of form
and
6) Do all of the above before the industrial revolution

There is a reason Rolex can sell a divers watch with a GMT function for $50k+ and still have multi year wait lists for it, and , let's be honest, a mind fuckingly annoying complication, minute repeater can command hundreds of thousands in an otherwise plain watch.

Nobody "needs" a watch any more, it's all about the fuck you, to physics.

it's a nice bridge...

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Post up options that can, seriously interested.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Thanks guys. Had some time to think. On reflection the Omega is a bit fussy, in person it looks better than in internet pics.

Leaning towards the IWC, however it bugs me slightly that the 12 and 6 are chomped off, I can't unsee that. The Omega bezel sort of screams Rolex, which might be out of place on an Omega?

At this point in life I'll get more use out of a watch than $10k worth of bike stuff. Might as well spend money on ourselves before our kids start costing us real money. Trying to convince my accountant that this could be a business expense haha.
If there is something that nags you keep looking. I can ignore stuff that irks me when it is a small part of the whole but the visual appearance is the whole, you won't wear it.

Petero

Likes Dirt
I prefer the Omega, mostly because the useless month function is easier to overlook than the 12 and 6 being cut off...

David2406

Blueeeeeeeey's on!
Didn't notice the 6 and 12 at first but now can't unsee it.
Buy a Samsung Galaxy watch, spend $5 on a custom face and spend the rest on bike stuff, win win

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
It's not about the "need" for the function, it's all about the complications, the sheer engineering genius it takes to:

1) Design the function in the first place
B) Miniaturize it to fit in a case that fits on a wrist
3)Reduce friction loss to the point it is functional
4)Make these microscopic parts durable to the point they last centuries
5)Make the crazy functionality secondary to its breathtaking artistry of form
and
6) Do all of the above before the industrial revolution

There is a reason Rolex can sell a divers watch with a GMT function for $50k+ and still have multi year wait lists for it, and , let's be honest, a mind fuckingly annoying complication, minute repeater can command hundreds of thousands in an otherwise plain watch.

Nobody "needs" a watch any more, it's all about the fuck you, to physics.

it's a nice bridge...
also, if it's a Rolex or other wank brand, it's the "my watch cost more than your car" conspicuous consumption factor.