The watch thread.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
If comparing cameras to watches, my camera is a $300 watch that gives me pretty much the same quality as the $10,000 watch. In camera terms, mine is not expensive.
you can spend $25 million on a watch. by your words, a $5-10,000 watch is far from expensive.

keep justifying your opinion to yourself...

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
you can spend $25 million on a watch. by your words, a $5-10,000 watch is far from expensive.

keep justifying your opinion to yourself...
And there would still be no discernible difference.

I don't need to justify anything to myself. I'm not the one going out spending $10000 on a watch. Nor do I want to attract the type of person that it impresses. Like I said earlier, each to their own I suppose.

Last edited:

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Bikes still serve a purpose.
They're clean, they help build fitness and muscle... the list goes on.

A watch is only useful if you don't have a phone, and I don't know a single person who doesn't have a phone.

I suppose it might be useful if you like camping for extended periods of time or go diving or something.
But otherwise, watch = obsolete.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Bikes still serve a purpose.
They're clean, they help build fitness and muscle... the list goes on.

A watch is only useful if you don't have a phone, and I don't know a single person who doesn't have a phone.

I suppose it might be useful if you like camping for extended periods of time or go diving or something.
But otherwise, watch = obsolete.
Well, for starters I and everyone else who works offshore/at sea/in remote locations/in hospitals etc. am often either not allowed phones in the workplace or find them next to useless for their primary function but that's by the by.

As I've said earlier, a watch serves as a piece of jewellery and if you think that the concept of jewellery is obsolete then I suggest you ignore the billions and billions of dollars worth of gold, diamonds, opals, silver, pearls etc. (not to mention all the 'handmade artisan beaded necklaces and shit sold at craft fairs to people who like to think they aren't materialistic) that adorn the bodies of the majority of people in the world.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Jewellery serves no purpose for myself, and very few people I associate with... so I suppose I rarely see it being held in such high importance. :)

oriion

Likes Dirt
I earn lots of money, i like to spend it on shit and trash that i want. There i said it, someone had to.

MrZ32

Likes Dirt
I earn lots of money, i like to spend it on shit and trash that i want. There i said it, someone had to.
This is what it comes down to. .. Have money, will spend etc... Back in the day of being a student, I would never have considered paying for parking. .. What a waste of money.

I still think it's a waste of money but I don't really care because there is plenty there.

Just like I can't help throwing money at bikes, motorbikes, cars, watches etc. .. I didn't need that enve Wheelset but I had to have it. .. So much bling. Etc...

Plus watches tend be used as a guage of someone's taste and ability in the workplace... Yes it may be sad but you are judged on the quality of the watch and suit you wear.

oriion

Likes Dirt
What does this mean?
I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say he thinks you are still single because you are in love with yourself, have taste, and appreciate fine things because you can afford them. You outta be ashamed of yourself! :)

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say he thinks you are still single because you are in love with yourself, have taste, and appreciate fine things because you can afford them. You outta be ashamed of yourself! :)
Don't think so. The comment wasn't aimed at me but to someone else who doesn't understand this expensive watch nonsense.

I took Cleeshoys comment to mean that he must not have attracted a partner because he doesn't wear or value flashy 'bling'

oriion

Likes Dirt
Don't think so. The comment wasn't aimed at me but to someone else who doesn't understand this expensive watch nonsense.

I took Cleeshoys comment to mean that he must not have attracted a partner because he doesn't wear or value flashy 'bling'
It's amazing what you can read into comments on the internet ;)

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches

Cleeshoys comment was aimed at somebody who said "Jewellery serves no purpose for myself, and very few people I associate with... "

I've got to say I've never known any girl who doesn't like jewellery in some form or another. Even the anti-materialist hippy chicks I know love necklaces, bracelets, beads, earrings etc.

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
Cleeshoys comment was aimed at somebody who said "Jewellery serves no purpose for myself, and very few people I associate with... "

I've got to say I've never known any girl who doesn't like jewellery in some form or another. Even the anti-materialist hippy chicks I know love necklaces, bracelets, beads, earrings etc.
Yep. Agreed.

Considering this discussion as about super expensive watches compared to ones costing a few hundred though, I think he is saying that his wife/partner doesn't care for super expensive Jewellery. That's the discussion we are having.

Not saying that all watches are silly or all Jewellery is silly.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Yep. Agreed.

Considering this discussion as about super expensive watches compared to ones costing a few hundred though, I think he is saying that his wife/partner doesn't care for super expensive Jewellery. That's the discussion we are having.

Not saying that all watches are silly or all Jewellery is silly.
Just as paintings are often more than something to hang on your wall (and incidentally a couple of million bucks for a Rembrandt will make any $10000 watch look like a show-bag gift), watches aren't just tools for telling the time. When I eventually cark it I would like to be able to pass on more than just a load of debts and a big nose to my offspring. There aren't many objects that we have nowadays that don't go out of style or become obsolete very quickly. However a good watch can last for decades and wind up passed on through multiple generations. If I'm going to leave something that might end up one day being my great-grandkids only connection to me, I'd want it to be at least something of worth and as much as I love my $250 RipCurl digital watch that tells me the local tides, I don't think that will really cut it.