The watch thread.

0psi

Eats Squid
Any watchophiles on here?

Courtesy of a certain Mod on here I've developed a slight watch thing. Never did see the point of spending lots on a watch that just told the time, if I was going to spend a lot on a watch I wanted it to do other stuff like give me compass bearings and barometric pressure. That was till I was handed a nice mechanical watch that I realised the craftsmanship that goes into a nice watch.

Anyway, what brings me here today is I'm trying to hunt down a watch for my brother for Christmas. Was looking for a classic diver style watch like this

SNZF17J2.jpg

But the issue is he has tiny little wrists and most of the dive watches I've found are quite big or way to expensive, especially considering he's 16.

So any suggestions for a reasonably priced ($400 tops) dive watch that's about 40mm or so wide? Ideally I'd like an automatic with a display back or a quartz.

wembas

Likes Dirt
I love watches too...

My favourite :

Omega Seamaster - might be lucky enough to be getting one next year !!!

Under $400 dive watch ? google.

Omega-Seamaster-2531.jpg

camzh

Likes Dirt
Go Swatch.
Not many Automatics, but for the money you have to spend I wouldn't bother with Automatic.

0psi

Eats Squid
There are a few automatics in the price range (Seiko 5, Citizen) but all too big. Ditto for quartz. All the ones I've found in the 38mm range are Rolex's and Omega's which are way out of budget.

My new love is my Tissot Sea-Touch, so much fun to play with and looks excellent. I got mine with the metal bracelet.

[video=youtube;6eE-bLJAl4U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eE-bLJAl4U[/video]

Next on the list is an Oris diver of some sort, haven't quite decided yet but I'd love to get a Barrier Reef edition if I could find one.

John U

MTB Precision
There's a whole thread some where full of million dollar watches. I'm sure someone will post up the link.

I've got an ORIS TT auto or something. Looks good but loses about 3 minutes a week.

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
Hey Opsi,

The options provided by JTmofo are pretty good Seiko options and good reliability wise.

If you wish to bury yourself in research and see all options from affordable to what will eat all of your money, check out this site, which I reckon is the Watch equivalent of our Rotorburn;

http://forums.watchuseek.com/forum.php

Regards,

Mars.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Save for an Omega, you'll never regret it.

:doh: just read your op, gift for a 16 yo? GShock come in small sizes, or hunt around for a Seiko, better Japanese movement and can be had for reasonable $ if you're willing to search.

Last edited:

Capone

Likes Dirt
Save for an Omega, you'll never regret it.

:doh: just read your op, gift for a 16 yo? GShock come in small sizes, or hunt around for a Seiko, better Japanese movement and can be had for reasonable $ if you're willing to search.

omega is a great watch. Would have got one except the nearest dealer was an arse so picked up a tag heuer link caliber s

Next watch is an omega deville

Like bikes watches are easy to have the price knocked down on. Ask for the best price. Don't pay retail

0psi

Eats Squid
GShock come in small sizes,
All the little ones have 'Baby-G' on them which just ain't gonna fly for a 16 year old boy.

I've done a fair bit of googling and the watchuseek forum comes up quite a bit. One of the ones they keep mentioning is the Seiko SKX013 but I'm having issues finding it anywhere outside of Asia which I think is a little suspect.

Thanks for the links JT, I'll have a bit more of a look, they look like they might be borderline. My bro has wrists like chopsticks, they're fricken tiny.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Seiko are Japanese and some of their range is only sold to the Japanese (Asian) market. Research the vendors before you buy, but there are plenty of reputable Asian Seiko suppliers!

PS. You will struggle to get a decent (male) divers with less than a 42mm bezel.

redline316

Likes Dirt
i love my tag heuer aqauracer 500m it replaces my planet ocean that i sold a few years ago to my brother

Attachments

rone

Eats Squid
Current stable.

2013-11-12 19.44.31.jpg

My old beater Luminox Quadrum everyday wearer. Taken an absolute beating - including two crashes on bitumen. Refuses to die.

2013-11-12 19.46.08.jpg

Vostok Europe 'Komandirskie' mechanical automatic submariners 24hr watch. Titanium case.

2013-11-12 19.46.29.jpg

Komandirskie case back.

2013-11-12 19.46.51.jpg

Omega Seamaster Quartz full-size case. This one's a keeper.

2013-11-12 19.48.08.jpg

Technomarine 'U.S. Navy' submariners chronograph with aftermarket silicone strap.

2013-11-12 19.49.28.jpg

Old faithful. Seiko SKX007K1 Divers automatic. Brilliant watch. Currently with the Seiko expander bracelet, but have the silicone strap as well.

2013-11-12 19.55.59.jpg

Luminox 3400 F-117 Stealth Pilots watch. Has the tritium gas illumination and the polarized glass to be seen in an unlit cockpit during operations. Cool.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Luminox 3400 F-117 Stealth Pilots watch. Has the tritium gas illumination and the polarized glass to be seen in an unlit cockpit during operations. Cool.
Should really get one of these, the map light in my stealth bomber has blown and they're a bitch to find replacements.

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
Here's some of mine.

Suunto Core - I love this thing and it's become my most worn watch. The band is really comfy and surprisingly stain resistant. And it tells me altitude, barometric pressure etc, and has a compass!

My G-shock:

Also have a Suunto Observer in stealth black, and have just ordered a Suunto Ambit.

One day I'd love to find a vintage Rolex Sub, about 1959 era or so. My grandfather was into Rolexes and I inherited a beautiful camera from that year, it would be great to have a watch of a similar vintage.

Last edited:

0psi

Eats Squid
Meanwhile in my search for a cheap and cheerful watch for my brother I came across Vacheron Constantin. Fuck.