The watch thread.

Robb

Likes Dirt
Literally yesterday I spotted a customer at work wearing a $40,000 Patek Philippe (I work at Anaconda mind you, so not at all somewhere flashy) and to be honest I can't imagine he ever really gets any compliments about it. Simply because most don't know who Patek Philippe are and he didn't flash it around and tell everyone its value. So to everyone it looks similar to many other $300 stainless steel sports watches. I imagine the only compliments he gets are from those who actually know what they're looking at.
Patek Philippe..

[video=youtube_share;OXwgiM3JmkI]http://youtu.be/OXwgiM3JmkI[/video]

Nixon

I LOVE Nixon watches, I have 3 x of them.

They have the scratch proof glass and it is amazing - my watch has a hard life and the glass is still as perfect as the day I got it. It has had a seriously hard life! The watch is big for my arm however I got used to it and it comes in all kinds of colours and styles.

The brand itself makes a lot of different watches including dive watches. I recommend them to anyone who would want a good wearing and resistant watch.

Downside: Poor battery life - however whenever I take it back to the shop I got it from they fix it for free with water resistant warranty still active if it is less than 12 months since last change!

nixon.jpg

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
Do you guys like this emporio armani? I don't know anything about watches or nice jewelry but I came across this the other day and I really like it. You can get them for around $260 on the internet.

Hit or miss?

View attachment 285520
I personally stay away from brands that aren't dedicated watch brands, like emporio armani. Their main business is fashion and clothing. Dedicated watch brands only do one thing, watches. eg, Seiko, been around for over a hundred years, they must be doing something right.

Anthony B

Likes Dirt
I have an eye for watches the quirkier the better, currently have a Mr Jones decider watch, & got my new Projects crossover http://www.watchismo.com/projects-crossover.aspx & at $160 shipped to Aus I have no complaints.

I had a Nava Ora Unica which was another odd display but I left this with a friend who passed away, http://www.watchismo.com/nava-ora-unica-black-42mm.aspx

I do have some less weird watched I have my Pops citizen then I need to have the bevel glass polished it's a 1960's watch & has the 60's charm alive in it, a Nixon scout watch I got in early 2004 when I went to America on a student exchange. When I get home I'll get a photo of them, by no means is it a beautiful collection but all have sentimental value.

camzh

Likes Dirt
Nothing wrong with a Swatch. They make some brilliant limited editions. I have a 007 40th anaversiary Dr. No limited that I'm rather fond of.

You mean like these ?

From Left to Right.
Blofeld's Cat, Baron Samedi and On Her Majesty SS

Used to have a Largo as well, but that hit the floor and exploded one day.
Got a replacement from swatch, but was only a current model, not a 007 :(
(2nd fron left)

The Dr No is cool, I love the graphics on it.

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
If you like unique, I picked up one of these the other day, WeWood, Italian made, not that the Italians are renowned for watch making, the movement was a bit sticky when I first got it but now it seems to have settled down.

The face, case and strap are made from wood, this particular model is Indian Rosewood, very whimsical.

yz2b.jpg

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
If you like unique, I picked up one of these the other day, WeWood, Italian made, not that the Italians are renowned for watch making, the movement was a bit sticky when I first got it but now it seems to have settled down.

The face, case and strap are made from wood, this particular model is Indian Rosewood, very whimsical.

View attachment 285544
As far as I know, the Italians are renound for the worst engineering packaged in the prettiest body. Unfortunately this doesn't even have the aesthetics, there are much nicer wood watches out there. Although the full wood bracelet is fairly unique.

kjf

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Been away from bikes for many years. In those years I've found other hobbies to fill up my time (geddit?). I'm only just starting to get back into riding which is why I ventured back onto this forum.

Here are my watches:

IMG_5880.JPG

Steinhart, Armida, Glycine, Raketa
Sea-Gull, Casio, Timex, Invicta, Tissot

Casio and Timex are quartz, the rest are either hand wind or automatic. I plan to only use the G-Shock while riding.

Edit: The Armida isn't gold, it's brass. It's developing a real nice patina that doesn't show up well in (poor) photos

Last edited:

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
So I held off on the Nixon (for the moment) after reading the line about quartz versus mechanical. And now i've fallen in love with something very different…THIS.

Something super nice about skeletons. Not sure if I would/could wear it as a daily, but still..very tempting.

10998_01_734_7670_40_51_07_8_21_77_skl3.jpg

kjf

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So I held off on the Nixon (for the moment) after reading the line about quartz versus mechanical. And now i've fallen in love with something very different…THIS.

Something super nice about skeletons. Not sure if I would/could wear it as a daily, but still..very tempting.

View attachment 285617

A big sorry to the Nixon owners out there, but Tristan I'm glad you held off on that purchase. Instead of (for the moment), I suggest you say (forever).

You've fallen in love with that Oris, but how about this?

oris-chronoris-grand-prix-70-limited-edition.jpg

Beautiful, right? I'd love to have one to fill up that 10th space in my watch box above.

Skeletons are cool and all, but I think it's a novelty that would wear off quickly. I'll never buy one. Most of my watches (from the above box) are either auto, or mechanical. A lot of those have display casebacks. Pics related.

IMG_3250.JPG

IMG_3251.JPG

Who needs skeleton when you've got movements like that?!

Anthony B

Likes Dirt
so this thread made me dig out my old watches, & cant find my pops watch :/ but did find my Deda's watch(Croatian for grandpa) Seiko 5 Automatic 21jewel he gave it to me when I was about 12. Only issue is the glass bezel is so scratched going to try my luck polishing it back but there us a few scratches I won't be able to remove.

I've tried finding the exact watch online but all the 21 jewels from the same era have different faces

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Picked up my new watch last week after having my tissot PRC stolen... Omega semester. I couldn't swallow the price of one with a genuine band. Nevertheless I am happy with it.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

whiteman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If not a perpetual, what's the sub dial at the 9 o'clock position for? I thought it was for leap years?
It's definitely not a perpetual, it doesn't have any calendar functions. The sub dial is just the watch's seconds hand. It's a chrono with a 24 hour GMT hand and date.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Work watch

Could anyone suggest a nice stylish work watch for around $100?

I have in mind the Casio G-SHOCK AW591 with a leather or nylon band but was curious as to if there was anything else worth looking at?

Maybe something a little less bulky than a G-SHOCK and I definitely prefer analogue display.

Cheers everyone.

casio-g-shock.jpg