The watch thread.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I am nearing a decision, its going to be either a Breitling or Tag Heuer. I have appointments with each boutique in Sydney this weekend. Probably Breitling. :)
try a Sinn Watch :)

Tag Heuer are overpriced for what they are, IMO.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Everyone is different, although for me Tags remind me of an industry I was once in where everyone had one, and looked down on your IWC or Rolex because they had NFI anyway. There's other watches but they may be too out there if you have settled on those two, E.g. IWC pilot, portugeser, even omega Speedmaster or an oris of sorts represent similarly, I think jlc Reverso would make a great understated office watch. But that's not the usual tag MO! If you land on a tag please, for your own satisfaction, get something a little different that will stand out amongst them in time.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Everyone is different, although for me Tags remind me of an industry I was once in where everyone had one, and looked down on your IWC or Rolex because they had NFI anyway. There's other watches but they may be too out there if you have settled on those two, E.g. IWC pilot, portugeser, even omega Speedmaster or an oris of sorts represent similarly, I think jlc Reverso would make a great understated office watch. But that's not the usual tag MO! If you land on a tag please, for your own satisfaction, get something a little different that will stand out amongst them in time.
What industry was that?

I don't know anyone into Tag's apart from when I was a kid and people were given the plastic bezel models. I know Tag saved the marque but they also debased it in the process.

The only one even worth considering is an original Hueur Monaco with a calibre 11, 12 or 15 movement. Or a Monaco V4 if you're a squillionaire with a hard on for weird movements.

I'm somewhat biased but if I was to supplement my Seamaster Professional I would go for a Omega X-33 or Z-33. Probabaly the most accurate watches (+/-10 seconds a year) outside a GPS or radio synchronised watch. The Z-33 in particular looks like something straight out of A Space Odyssey.

Which brings me to the Breitling Aerospace. The Aerospace shares the same ETA movement as the Z-33 and X-33 and unsurprisingly has the same accuracy and functions. It doesn't have the Speedmaster lineage but they are signifcantly cheaper than the Omegas even for the titanium models. These might be worth a look over the Avenger. I know you want a good looking swiss watch but you might be surprised at how much an automatic movement pisses you off with its inaccuracy and the need to wind the thing when you have a desk job.

Oh and another fun fact. An Omega battery replacement and pressure test is $50 once every 5 years. A Piaget service and lube is $600 every 5 years or whenever it starts to really lose a lot of time. Most high end automatics would be much the same.

Last edited:

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
What industry was that?

I don't know anyone into Tag's apart from when I was a kid and people were given the plastic bezel models. I know Tag saved the marque but they also debased it in the process.
+1 Paying a lot of money for a look-at-me watch with a PLASTIC bezel.... Not even once.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
The only one even worth considering is an original Hueur Monaco with a calibre 11, 12 or 15 movement. Or a Monaco V4 if you're a squillionaire with a hard on for weird movements.
I'd happily consider a 60's Carrera......

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This isn't relevant to the latest thread revival, but for my 30th 3 years ago I was given by wifey a Seiko 4r36-04Y0 watch. I wanted a mechanical watch with a scratch resistant face and a metal band - and for $600 or so the thing is a bargain. While I did want a more expensive watch at the time - in my ownership I've whacked it on doors multiple times and even dropped it causing lots of marks on the bezel and a couple on the face - so it'll be the best watch I'm ever allowed to own!

scblack

Leucocholic
OK, job done.:)

Went to the Tag Heuer boutique. Nice enough but pretty underwhelming actually. The Formula One range was nice, but nothing stood out. Carrera Heuer were better, but the Senna model that was good was over $7k and not worth those dollars. The naked models I like the look of online, but in the flesh they lack detail and look greyed out.
So I agree with the guys - Tag is a no go. I honestly genuinely intended to buy one, as I had lusted them from childhood. But in todays reality they are either too glossy, underwhelming or overpriced.

Went across the road to the Breitling boutique. Much more impressive than Tag, Breitling watches have a much better presence than Tag. The Avenger Hurricane ones are ENORMOUS and I think offer little other than size. At $11k a pretty niche market for them.

So I ended up with a Breitling Colt Skyracer. Black. I had intended to find something impressive (read: flashy) for board meetings etc but I ended up with a quartz movement piece with a dark colour to contrast the silver of my Edifice. More subtle but high quality for the outlay.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

Went to the Tag Heuer boutique. Nice enough but pretty underwhelming actually. The Formula One range was nice, but nothing stood out. Carrera Heuer were better, but the Senna model that was good was over $7k and not worth those dollars. The naked models I like the look of online, but in the flesh they lack detail and look greyed out.
So I agree with the guys - Tag is a no go. I honestly genuinely intended to buy one, as I had lusted them from childhood. But in todays reality they are either too glossy, underwhelming or overpriced.

Went across the road to the Breitling boutique. Much more impressive than Tag, Breitling watches have a much better presence than Tag. The Avenger Hurricane ones are ENORMOUS and I think offer little other than size. At $11k a pretty niche market for them.

So I ended up with a Breitling Colt Skyracer. Black. I had intended to find something impressive (read: flashy) for board meetings etc but I ended up with a quartz movement piece with a dark colour to contrast the silver of my Edifice. More subtle but high quality for the outlay.

View attachment 351009
Nice work.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Got this a couple of weeks ago, seems the right day to post it here

View attachment 354604

View attachment 354605
Awesome watch. I love Omega.

I've unfortunately had my Seamaster PO stolen from my house, along with my mates Niner RIP9 RDO (no great loss).
Wedding present from Mrs Mofo, so very sad day.

On the flip side, NRMA came good with a replacement. Omega no longer make the 45.5mm PO, but the new version is just as nice on my wrist (if not nicer)

Last edited:

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I'm still kicking myself for not buying one in Lucern for A$3500 new when the dollar was gangbusters. I was too busy drooling at the beautiful patek phillipe they had on display. Wife got a rado and that sits in a box collecting dust :(

MARKL

Eats Squid

I've unfortunately had my Seamaster PO stolen from my house, along with my mates Niner RIP9 RDO (no great loss).
Wedding present from Mrs Mofo, so very sad day.

On the flip side, NRMA came good with a replacement. Omega no longer make the 45.5mm PO, but the new version is just as nice on my wrist (if not nicer)

Glad the NRMA came to the party. Looks good. I was tossing up between the traditional Speedmaster Professional and a dark side of the moon Apollo 8. In the end I figured if I got the traditional moon watch I would have enough money left over for something else down the track when the Mrs isn’t looking

MARKL

Eats Squid

View attachment 351009
I am in the market for a black watch and have been meaning to ask, what are your thoughts on the Breitlight case? Happy with it? How is it wearing - any scratches? is it too light? Other thoughts?

scblack

Leucocholic
I am in the market for a black watch and have been meaning to ask, what are your thoughts on the Breitlight case? Happy with it? How is it wearing - any scratches? is it too light? Other thoughts?
Hi Markl.

Specific answer is the Breitlight case is great. I love it. I would much prefer the Breitlight to a metal black watch. Black metal can look terrible if scratches show as bare metal on black.

Pluses
  • It is very light, which makes the watch very wearable and comfortable. My Skyracer pictured above is so light I often have to look and see if it is still there.
  • It is very tough – the material is resistant to scratches and general wear, so will last well. No scratches in my 6months ownership.
  • It is different – a dark colour like this sort of matte black is unusual and good looking.
Negatives (negatives are only perceptions, so not really a wearing negative at all)
  • Cosmetics – looks like plastic a bit, so people think it is like a Swatch.
  • Cosmetics – it is not as “flashy” as a nicely polished stainless steel watch.
  • Watch snobs – some will think as it is made of carbon/polymer it is not as “serious” as a stainless piece.
If you are heading to the Sydney Breitling boutique please let me know and I would love to come along with you (if you want), I have bought a few Breitlings now, and know sales staff (JJ) and John the Manager well. My other Breitlings are a SuperAvenger and an Avenger2Seawolf, as well as the Skyracer.

Last edited:

MARKL

Eats Squid
Hi Markl.

Specific answer is the Breitlight case is great. I love it. I would much prefer the Breitlight to a metal black watch. Black metal can look terrible if scratches show as bare metal on black.

Pluses
  • It is very light, which makes the watch very wearable and comfortable. My Skyracer pictured above is so light I often have to look and see if it is still there.
  • It is very tough – the material is resistant to scratches and general wear, so will last well. No scratches in my 6months ownership.
  • It is different – a dark colour like this sort of matte black is unusual and good looking.
Negatives (negatives are only perceptions, so not really a wearing negative at all)
  • Cosmetics – looks like plastic a bit, so people think it is like a Swatch.
  • Cosmetics – it is not as “flashy” as a nicely polished stainless steel watch.
  • Watch snobs – some will think as it is made of carbon/polymer it is not as “serious” as a stainless piece.
If you are heading to the Sydney Breitling boutique please let me know and I would love to come along with you (if you want), I have bought a few Breitlings now, and know sales staff (JJ) and John the Manager well. My other Breitlings are a SuperAvenger and an Avenger2Seawolf, as well as the Skyracer.
Thanks for taking the time to reply SC.

I tried on an Avenger Blackbird (titanium) which I liked. Without sounding all watch snob the thing I found off putting compared to a steel watch was the lack of weight. I fear the Breitlight watches will be more off putting but as you say they won’t show marks as easily as a black steel watch. If they did a scratch resistant Superocean 44 Special in a 46 it would be almost perfect.