The 'who needs a reason' Sydney group ride.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Actually scratch that, can't dinner. Need to be home to look after kids.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Last edited:

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Sounds good. I’ll aim for 3. No promises on the time though, cross city’s a bitch.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Wheres the trailhead/parking?
Short of @BT180 chiming in with more accurate info or actually joining you guys, here is a real simple start point. I'm pretty sure this is all legit now so I can post on...fuck I hope so!

red circle is where I usually start out and friends park their cars. I have often seen dual can utes there as well. You can fit maybe 3 or 4 cars neatly parked. There's a park with car parking a bit further along the road and a cycleway you can ride back to this locked gate on. The 2 yellow circles roughly indicate where 2 of the popular trails end. You could wing it to the top along these BUT last time I was there they had signs asking people not to push up or rode up the down trails. Fortunately there is a climbing trail that starts roughly where the pink circle is. It is a cunt of a climb. I push up, mostly along the fire road that is called slippery dip trail, I think. The climbing trail is intertwined with the descending trails a bit. The state point I like is at the top of the fire road (it continues off into the forest along the ridge) and perhaps a bit tricky to figure out. As you cruise along tje fire road and it flattens out on the plateau, keep an eye for the couple of spots where the down trail crosses the road back and forward. This is close to the top. The trail starts on a rocky rise that has a trig point tower on top of it, thos will be on your left if you are heading in the correct direction. There may or may not be some trail marks pointing it out. From memory it is the first rocky pop up you come to on the plateau. Once you find it you will understand. Be warned - the start is epic technical and a real ball size tester, but mostly mind games. I recommend having a good look at the first stretch of trail before hitting it. But leave your bike out on the side of the fire road and do it on foot...you don't want to be blocking the trail if someone comes charging down the start! There is a steep roll in and a small-medium drop close together. It is sick. Most of the jumps are at the bottom. Lots of fun and nothing too epic anywhere on the course. A look at narrabeen lagoon on google maps will fill you I'm on the wider terrain.

Fuck you guys were fast...

Note there is a little shopping plaza near by with a Thai place. The food there is good and you can park in front of it and watch your bikes while you eat.

Attachments

nzhumpy

Right, I've managed to dig myself out one engagement and I'm not too worried about CRU V CHF or BLU v SUN so things are looking up, so much so I bought post ride refreshment.

I am slightly parched though, so there is no guarantee the above will make an appearance.

Oddjob

Right, I've managed to dig myself out one engagement and I'm not too worried about CRU V CHF or BLU v SUN so things are looking up, so much so I bought post ride refreshment.

I am slightly parched though, so there is no guarantee the above will make an appearance.
Is that Lemon and Peroa-whatsamacallit?

nzhumpy

Good spot, you bring the Southern Comfort I'll dig up some L&P, *it's been a good 20yrs since I've had one of them.

*there's a perfectly good reason for that.

Ultra Lord

I’ve a ten pack in my room atm ahaha! Good lemony stuff, world famous in NZ even.

Oddjob

The weather is not looking good. 50% chance of rain according to weatherzone.

I've got no idea how Mt Narra holds up to light rain but Manly Dam holds up well and is closer just in case we need to call it off and go and have beers instead.

Oddjob

Ride happened. Rain wasn't too bad and made Manly Dam hero sand. I was freakin late so just did the endurobro section.

We're doing Hornsby next.

Ultra Lord

Did a ride happen? any details?
Yeah it was pretty good! The climbs hurt and the dh sections were alot better than I gave manly dam credit for.

How’s the movie? Mr’s soccer team are going tomorrow and I’ll bail if its terrible haha.

Edit: pirates life is awesome just quietly. New to me, it’ll be making its way into my fridge

Last edited:

nzhumpy

Temp was ideal, a bit of drizzle was refreshing instead of being a billionty degrees.

You fellas do another lap?

I wasn't too late for dinner, so happy days on that front, could've had a another of those PL's quite easily.

Mind was made up to ditch that new front tyre because it felt sketchy as, but after checking the data and setting my 2nd quickest time down the Soenduro segment (plus knocking off a heap of PBs on the Stromlo descents on Thursday) I might leave it on there for a bit longer.

Cheers for the ride lads.