The Woodwork thread

Scotty T

Walks the walk
We are getting prepared to manufacture loudspeakers commercially using reclaimed housing frames from houses being demolished in Melbourne.
This is awesome. We have a hardwood framed house in Canberry, a whole wall will be ripped out sometime next year.

Also that unit is very nice @Jpez, we will need something like this down the track.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd say it's OB hardwood so could be a variety of things. There's a variety across Melbourne depending on age and location.
Old dry iron bark is the devils work, it is very hard on tools and will reduce you cut depths and feed rates. Lovely timber but brutal on tools.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I'd say it's OB hardwood so could be a variety of things. There's a variety across Melbourne depending on age and location.
Old dry iron bark is the devils work, it is very hard on tools and will reduce you cut depths and feed rates. Lovely timber but brutal on tools.
Definitely would have been sold as OB when it was first used. My understanding is the ironbark was used more for things like post and rail fencing, railway sleepers, mine supports and piers. The kind of things where it was used in big dimensions where it could be split rather than cut. Cuttting up timber like ironbark before tool steel had been worked out would have been a nightmare.
I think @Jpez works a bit with reclaimed timber, he might know a bit more about species used as ordinary builders.

ausdb

Being who he is
Definitely would have been sold as OB when it was first used. My understanding is the ironbark was used more for things like post and rail fencing, railway sleepers, mine supports and piers. The kind of things where it was used in big dimensions where it could be split rather than cut. Cuttting up timber like ironbark before tool steel had been worked out would have been a nightmare.
I think @Jpez works a bit with reclaimed timber, he might know a bit more about species used as ordinary builders.
It's probably a lot like the old jarrah house timbers over here. When the house was built it was still a bit green so cut and nailed relatively easy. Roll on a hundred years and it's a different story.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
It's truly impossible to tell but I would say that's messmate. And it really doesn't matter cause any heavy, well seasoned euc is hard on the tools. I've got quite a number of big chunks of narrow leaf ironbark that were taken out of the Pilliga in the 1980s.

For something like that round here, it gets a wash with a pressure washer then a blast with the air compressor in the first instance. Then I cut it on one face with the table saw inside an aluminium right angle jig. The thicknesser gets the other face. Then repeat for the other faces.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I’ve never seen Iron Bark in smaller sections like that at the timber suppliers I use. Only bigger stuff like old bridge beams, warehouse trusses and old telegraph poles.
But in my chippie days of doing renos and extension’s did come across old OB framing that well could have been Ironbark but I kinda doubt it.
Here’s some 300x300 x 4.8 and some 250x100 recycled red Ironbark I used for a pergola. Fucking stuff Is making my back hurt just looking at the photos. The tools I used to cut and drill it still hate me.
59891F0A-59CC-4359-8496-47DBDE49D44E.jpeg
DB2B168C-0D11-4955-A200-7B9AD83CA043.jpeg

link1896

Mr Greenfield
It was a mate of my wife’s who is a timber grader who told me this was ironbark, species identification isn’t my strong suit, I’ve blindly followed her suggestion, but as everyone is saying, Ironbark’s naturally occurring locations don’t make sense for house framing usage in Melbourne 80-120 years ago.

Still hard as fuck, whatever it is. A bugle head batten screw will snap if you don’t drill a 5mm pilot hole, even 5mm cobalt bits hate it. This cross section sample of collapse is probably the worse case I’ve seen. Dimensions are roughly 95-100 x 50-55mm, from floor joists locations I believe. I’ll weigh a long piece to get an idea of density.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
It was a mate of my wife’s who is a timber grader who told me this was ironbark, species identification isn’t my strong suit, I’ve blindly followed her suggestion, but as everyone is saying, Ironbark’s naturally occurring locations don’t make sense for house framing usage in Melbourne 80-120 years ago.

Still hard as fuck, whatever it is. A bugle head batten screw will snap if you don’t drill a 5mm pilot hole, even 5mm cobalt bits hate it. This cross section sample of collapse is probably the worse case I’ve seen. Dimensions are roughly 95-100 x 50-55mm, from floor joists locations I believe. I’ll weigh a long piece to get an idea of density.
Pretty much describes a lot of old euc timber. It doesn't have to be old to snap a batten screw...my opinion of them has declined over the last fifteen years. I think they are only good for holding down mgp10 these days.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Did a quick POC last nigh for the insert using clearance tiles from Bunnings, worked out ok I think.

View attachment 398910
I assume you're going to cut them to match the rectangle opening, but it would also look cool if you traced the shape, routed the surface of the table so they sit flush and keep the rough edges. Would match well with the natural edges along the side of the table IMO.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I assume you're going to cut them to match the rectangle opening, but it would also look cool if you traced the shape, routed the surface of the table so they sit flush and keep the rough edges. Would match well with the natural edges along the side of the table IMO.
I've actually glued them to a piece of marine ply that sits in the opening. I'm going to keep them raised that way when having big meals hot dishes can be put on it without damaging the table.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
@beeb I've got small pieces of ply sitting 12mm below the edge to hold the insert.

PXL_20230419_003617848~2.jpg

Also if I routed to have the insert flush I could never have a different insert because it would never fit properly.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Also if I routed to have the insert flush I could never have a different insert because it would never fit properly.
I figured, but I would still recess it about 2/3rds the width of the tile. I would make any other inserts fit the recess! :p

Realistically though, I have made zero tables - so you're one-up (at least) on me.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I figured, but I would still recess it about 2/3rds the width of the tile. I would make any other inserts fit the recess! :p

Realistically though, I have made zero tables - so you're one-up (at least) on me.
This is only 2 for me so I think you have time to catch up :D