The Woodwork thread

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Love the bump starts to get it spinning.
That's one of the dozens... I was wondering who would pick up on that, so much wrong, bluntest chainsaw ever but still cutting into the butt/mounting...I would not standing within 20m of that spinning, that guy on the tools must have bionic thumbs.

Jpez

Down on the left!
That's one of the dozens... I was wondering who would pick up on that, so much wrong, bluntest chainsaw ever but still cutting into the butt/mounting...I would not standing within 20m of that spinning, that guy on the tools must have bionic thumbs.
I lIved and worked in Sth east Asia for a few years and the stuff I saw on a daily basis would send chills down your spine. The most horrendous work practices you could imagine. But they made it work and I saw very few injuries. Part of my job was to instil modern work practices into an existing metal fabrication workshop as well as teach. I kinda failed in that. You just can’t walk in and change a whole work culture in a short period of time.
This kid though was a legend. Came from a dirt poor village. Didn’t even know what money was really but wanted to learn so badly. This was one of the first things he made.
it was a proud moment for both of us.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
I love that kinda stuff and you need to give your self a pat on the back for that and tbh i can't imagine the sense of pride you must have taken from giving a young fella like that a sense of accomplishment to able to create something...still no way I'm gunna stand infront of 400kg spinning log on a home made lathe...the end results are awesome but jingers that's some sketchy shite

Jpez

Down on the left!
I love that kinda stuff and you need to give your self a pat on the back for that and tbh i can't imagine the sense of pride you must have taken from giving a young fella like that a sense of accomplishment to able to create something...still no way I'm gunna stand infront of 400kg spinning log on a home made lathe...the end results are awesome but jingers that's some sketchy shite
Yeah it was a hell of an experience. Highest of highs and incredible lows. That lad and one or two others I’m actually still in touch with we’re definite highlights. Teaching life skills was also a huge component as well as skills training.
All these young men were dirt poor and had no way out. Learning an actual usable real world skill was a life changer for some of these guys.

Anyway back to woodwork. Floating vanity and full bathroom renovation

Flow-Rider

Burner
..still no way I'm gunna stand infront of 400kg spinning log on a home made lathe...the end results are awesome but jingers that's some sketchy shite
I've seen a lot of people screw themselves on normal wood lathes when I was in high school. Seen a wood chisel embedded in the forehead and a bloke was making a bowl out of glued timber and started the lathe in top gear, the job piece exploded through a window and then travelled about 20 meters, I ducked under a work bench when I heard a noise like a jet about to take off.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I loved doing stuff on a wood lathe but there is a limit to the number of bowls, rolling pins and lampstands you need.

Our school lathe was in a separate spot, ceiling was replaced about twice a year. Mate has his father's wood lathe and about 37m3 of bowls.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I've seen a lot of people screw themselves on normal wood lathes when I was in high school. Seen a wood chisel embedded in the forehead and a bloke was making a bowl out of glued timber and started the lathe in top gear, the job piece exploded through a window and then travelled about 20 meters, I ducked under a work bench when I heard a noise like a jet about to take off.
Yeah I learnt the hard way myself that any spinny tool is a dangerous thing. Got a half a fingertip missing to prove it from an old combo table saw/planer but big Demo saws always give me the willys.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok I am not a member of a woodworking forum but I am a member of an MTB forum with a woodworking thread so a question for those with more expertise than me (i.e. almost anyone) about a little project I have started. Please no advice telling me it's a dumb idea too late for that! hang on daughter wants to steal laptop will update thsi post momentarily...

ok so I bought some marri slabs to act as seats on top of my gabion cages. My plan is to fill imperfections (gaping holes) in slabs with epoxy and finish. I have a few questions. I'd prefer a durable finish (will be exposed to weather) would people use a varnish or epoxy or something else ?

Also I obviosuly need to finish the whole thing so it wont warp etc, do I need to sand the underside really nicely or can I do that a bit rough and still be ok as I don't want to be sadning until 2021..

Anyone fixed timber slabs to gabion cages and got suggestions, this may be a long shot as I haven't seen it done anywhere yet...

20190303_180521.jpg
20200919_130347.jpg
20200919_130354.jpg

Last edited:

Scotty675

Cable thief
Ok I am not a member of a woodworking forum but I am a member of an MTB forum with a woodworking thread so a question for those with more expertise than me (i.e. almost anyone) about a little project I have started. Please no advice telling me it's a dumb idea too late for that! hang on daughter wants to steal laptop will update thsi post momentarily...
You need another laptop

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I recommend using lark's tongues, lightly sauteed with garlic and leek. You need about 12,679 tongues. Serves 4.