The Yeti ASR Carbon is dead. Long live the Yeti SB100.

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
Noooooooooooo my bike started creaking like a mofo!

Oh, what is that? The cinch lock ring holding the chainring on is loose. Oh, move along, nothing to see here.

Thank gawd, I thought I was going to have to come here with my tail between my legs and confess the SI link was creaking. Instead, after 1500km of riding, albeit at recovery pace, the frame has been superb.

k3n!f

Well I have 3800km on the bike, so it is about time for an update.

Firstly, my back is healing well. I'm pain free 95% of the time, with just a dull ache after a long day on my feet at work, or if I have to do too much twisting with my upper body. Overall, pretty damn lucky really, could have been a lot worse....

I'm starting to get fit again, but I'll doubt I'll ever be as fast as I was before the accident. I've been especially enjoying climbing, which the SB100 is actually very efficient at, despite the 30% recommended sag.

I have had a couple of small issues with the bike. The first is the dreaded loose pedal spindle on the Race Face Next SLs. The spindle has come loose and has actually caused the arm to crack. I am pretty disappointed with the response from Race Face, this was the first generation of these carbon cranks which very clearly had a manufacturing issue, but they have not offered to warranty them. They say they were released with a 3 year warranty, and these are 7 months outside that. I am pretty sure the original crank was released with a longer warranty (lifetime?) but I can't find my original documentation. There are a couple of old posts online regarding the crank which mentioned this lifetime warranty.

The second issue with the Crest rims cracking again on the rear drive side spoke holes. This seems to be a recurrent issue, my front rim lasts forever but the rear only lasts 12 months before it needs replacement. With 3 replacements since I bought them they are still much cheaper than carbon would have been, but it has been a bit annoying.

Overall the bike is amazing, and I haven't had any of the creaking or flex issues reported elsewhere with the SB100. Given all the parts on it already had 7700km when I built it they are holding up remarkably well. That means the Race Face chainring and Shimano XTR cassette are still going strong after 12,500km which is pretty remarkable.

Plans for the future? Well it seems the new Yeti SB115 has the same front and rear triangle, but with a different shock and linkage. I'm considering retrofitting this if it becomes available, but it might be expensive as I would need:

• Shock and linkage kit
  • New 130mm fork
  • If I get a Boost fork then I may as well build some Boost wheels (although the Now8 Boost adapter on the back has been fit and forget)

Maybe I'll just keep it as an SB100 and ride it till it dies.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Have you thought about going for an arch rim to beef it up a little on the back? Can’t imagine it would add too much weight.

k3n!f

yes but he’d probably buy another yeti
Alas, it is going to be hard to upgrade from a bike like this. Especially if Yeti are actually going to honour their updated lifetime warranty.

That being said the Transition Spur has my attention, and the Unno Horn is a stunning looking frame that would be half a kilogram lighter which would be nice if I start racing again.

I'm also not sure my next bike would be carbon. I would love to go old school with anodized aluminum with some sexy machining, or steel, or Ti. Goodness me, you guys are a bad influence.

Truth be told, I'm currently nostalgic for the hardtails I rode in a previous life, so there may be a custom titanium hardtail in my future if this bike gets replaced.

That doesn't mean its not squeaking like a hookers mattress.
Please, this is a high class establishment, ear plugs provided.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Alas, it is going to be hard to upgrade from a bike like this. Especially if Yeti are actually going to honour their updated lifetime warranty.

That being said the Transition Spur has my attention, and the Unno Horn is a stunning looking frame that would be half a kilogram lighter which would be nice if I start racing again.

I'm also not sure my next bike would be carbon. I would love to go old school with anodized aluminum with some sexy machining, or steel, or Ti. Goodness me, you guys are a bad influence.

Truth be told, I'm currently nostalgic for the hardtails I rode in a previous life, so there may be a custom titanium hardtail in my future if this bike gets replaced.

Please, this is a high class establishment, ear plugs provided.
Nicolai Saturn 11 would be a cool aluminium Boutique XC build.

If you're ever tempted, I'd help fund the purchase by buying your Yeti frame if the price is right

k3n!f

He hasn’t broken it yet and he’s got alot of k’s on it.
We could be waiting awhile.
Hmmm somewhat ironically it probably was when I posted last time. I was reading the mtbr.com thread on the SB100 to see if anyone had managed to replace the linkage to change to an SB115. There were a few posts discussing the loads put on the SI linkage tabs and some photos of cracked frames so I thought I would check mine....

The frame has 4500km on it, and a significant amount of that has been on the road with injury rehab and now lock down. All the other frames cracked because I rode them hard, this one, not so much....

Pretty bummed about this. Also yet to speak with Yeti.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
That’ll teach me to be optimistic.
Hope it gets sorted out painlessly for you.
Luckily theres plenty of shithot small travel 29ers around now.
NEW BIKE TIME!

Last edited:

k3n!f

Move to another brand?
It's hard to justify given the fantastic aftermarket service from Rowney Sports. I sent them some photos of the issue, but haven't been able to go to a bike shop due to lock down to get it inspected. In response they have posted a new front and rear triangle to the nearest bike shop and the shop says there will be no labor charge to swap the frame.

It would cost a lot of money to buy another frame, which is hard to justify with the lifetime warranty on the SB100. I basically feel like a sponsored rider at the moment, they keep sending me new frames!

Now I just have to wait for lock down restrictions to relax before I can actually go to the bike shop....

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Gutted to hear this has happened on such a beautiful bike. If you're still getting the support it makes it hard to leave. Do you have a back up / second bike?