The Yeti ASR Carbon is dead. Long live the Yeti SB100.

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
Once more unto the breach dear friends!

Finally out of lock down and made it to the shop for the frame swap. Shout out to Rowney Sports and Yeti, I was off the bike for a total of 1 day. Their warranty service has been exemplary. Glad I'm not riding a Pole! ;)

Went to Lystie today for my first proper mountain bike ride in 4 months, was so excited I forgot to take photos before getting it dirty. I wasn't sure about the paint job at first, but it is growing on me. Certainly much more subtle than Yeti's of old, but still some nice detailing on the top tube.

Thinking a new drive train will be required soon. This XTR cassette has 13,000km on it and 40T might be a bit small for the Otway Odyssey 100km. That'll be my first mountain bike event in about 6 years.

Maybe I need some new wheels to help get my lock down chub up the hills too....

k3n!f

Gutted to hear this has happened on such a beautiful bike. If you're still getting the support it makes it hard to leave. Do you have a back up / second bike?
Alas, I'm a one bike kinda guy. Although I picked up a steel single speed on gumtree for riding to work, but that is a bit of step down in ride quality!

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
That looks super clean. No decals is the new black.

If you want a bigger range cassette the 11-46 XT works just as smoothly with XTR stuff as that indestructible XTR 11-40. Fair bit heavier though....

k3n!f

I ended up going with a Garbaruk 11 speed 11-48T. Fabulous machining, a fair bit lighter than XTR and certainly a lot cheaper. Hopefully the 48T will be enough to drag myself up the climbs on the Otway. It has certainly been well tested in Tassie over Christmas, with around 400km of Maydena, Derby and Mt Wellingon. Shifting is better than I expected, but still not quite as seamless as XTR. It did have some creaking issues (too much powahhhhh), but I regreased the freehub and it is silent again.

k3n!f

Sigh.

Gave my bike a lockdown wash and found tiny (~1mm) crack in the paintwork at the exact site the last frame cracked on the lower mount for the drive side switch infinity (last frame crack is post #34).

This bike has had a fair bit of use in the last 7 months including training for the Otway 100km, the Dragon Trail stage race in Tassie (amazing!) and a weekend smashing Thredbo, but I am pretty disappointed by this. You should get more than 3000km out of a frame. At least it has a lifetime warranty!

Given the crack is tiny and we are expecting a baby in October, I'm not going to claim a warranty until I have to. May as well get as much time out of this frame as I can and see if they update the design in the next year or two and build up a whole fresh bike.

Although the new Blur looks nice...

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Given the crack is tiny and we are expecting a baby in October, I'm not going to claim a warranty until I have to.
Congrats on the bub and commiserations on the frame (though good that they warranty it)

Be aware that stock may be an issue when you go for warranty.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Congrats on the bub and commiserations on the frame (though good that they warranty it)

Be aware that stock may be an issue when you go for warranty.
This,

Hopefully it's not going to compromise your riding but after that many frames you're either Yeti for life or it's time for a Banshee Phantom.

And congratulations on the baby on the way too!

k3n!f

I have decided that there is only one plausible solution to a cracking frame and brakes which need bleeding every month. As such, I was given no choice and have ordered some Trickstuff Piccola brakes.

In 12-15 months when my order ships, future me will be very happy with past me, and this gives current me a year to save the considerable price. They have a very interesting ordering process, whereby you don't have to pay a cent to order them and be placed on the waiting list. I assume that when they contact me in a year, if I no longer require them I just cancel the order.

I'll keep riding this frame until the brakes arrive, and then build a complete bike. If I get a free warranty frame, I'll have a nice healthy budget to build something special.

That way I can fix all the problems at once:
  • cracking frame
  • brakes with disappearing oil
  • fork with the rebound knob broken off (can't find a replacement damper)
  • rear wheel bodge job spacers for boost
  • cracking rear rim
  • bottom brackets which don't last from 30mm spindle
  • drive train with 16,000km
  • fetish for weight weenie Euro bling

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
They have a very interesting ordering process, whereby you don't have to pay a cent to order them and be placed on the waiting list. I assume that when they contact me in a year, if I no longer require them I just cancel the order.
Maybe you could sell your place in the queue when the time comes, like those blokes that sell their supercar order slot to impatient ridiculously cashed up dudes.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
If you get a warranty frame now, you’ll have a new bike for 12 months until the brakes arrive along with a new frame.

k3n!f

Lockdown is looking like it'll hang around in Melbourne for a while, so I thought I would take a closer look at a squeak from my bike. Turns out the grease port on the drive side had blocked up and the slider is totally shagged. The bushing inside the SI link is shredded on that side too. The non-drive side is basically pristine as the grease port has been working fine.

I think it must have happened during some river crossings on the Dragon Trail stage race earlier this year.

I think this has probably put additional lateral stress on the SI link mounting tabs on the frame.

I've sent Yeti an email, I'm interested to hear if this is covered by their lifetime warranty....

k3n!f

I know I've had my fair share of problems, maybe more...

However, Yeti and Rowney Sports have provided exemplary service. In less that 45 minutes my warranty has been approved and the new part is being posted directly to my house, not a bike shop, because of lockdown.

In comparison to some of the other warranty claim stories around here they are providing amazing customer support.

Last edited:

Ackland

chats d'élevage

However, Yeti and Rowney Sports have provided exemplary service. In less that 45 minutes my warranty has been approved and the new part is being posted directly to my house, not a bike shop, because of lockdown.

In comparison to some of the other warranty claim stories around here they are providing amazing customer support.
Yeah Paul is great.
He was great with niner too...
Sadly niner corporate didn't support his level of support

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)

From memory your annual kms are about what I'd turn over in a decade too, which will mean you'd be much more likely to encounter issues than a more "casual" rider like myself. :p

While it's not ideal that you've had issues with this frame, gotta give them credit for the no fuss replacement warranty process. I really don't know if I'd rather have a bike that lasts longer but is refused warranty (or a total ball-ache to get replaced), or a bike that breaks occasionally (non-catastrophicly) but is a no-fuss replacement in a quick timeframe.