The You Yangs Thread

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
When was Cressy two way?
My memory is pretty hazy on this one, maybe 2010 give or take a year.

Are Travs and Boulder both two way? If so both tracks that are waiting to have a significant head on event, especially boulder with many spots with lack of line of sight and relatively fast mid section.

Further, now that lactic has more 'flow' (no issues with the changes to this track), I can also see more people riding it, and riding it faster, a few head on's may also be on the cards. I do like this trail as a faster but tougher option to the top over rockwells.

"no one will really give a shit" is the absolute opposite of the way anyone who represents a mountain bike club, and works closely with Parks Victoria, should present themselves in person, or on a public forum.
I'd also like to note, that his opinion on this is very self centered, either the Little River general store or Little River pub, gets our patronage every visit we make to youies, they possibly give a shit.

Lastly, do club members get to have any formal input on track changes - priority of works completed? Survey's and that sort of thing?

trav

Likes Dirt
maybe the trail does flow better, maybe it doesn't.

I get that you do a truckton of work on the you yangs, and we appreciate that.

You could explain to us how you think it flows better. Being right or wrong or "debating" the merits of any one or a number of features - that comes across as "trav is right, and anyone who disagrees is wrong" your opinion forcefully put, and anyone who disagrees "don't like it don't ride, no one will really give(s) a shit".

How specifically does that sit in the context of a common resource on public land?

Anyone who uses the track has just as much right to an opinion on its merits as those who have constructed the track.

Trav, It's not Your resource, it's Everyone's resource.

It would be far more useful to take feedback on board, and in turn, explain your reasoning for changes in a track. At worst, you and someone who disagrees might have to simply acknowledge a difference of opinion and leave it at that.

"no one will really give a shit" is the absolute opposite of the way anyone who represents a mountain bike club, and works closely with Parks Victoria, should present themselves in person, or on a public forum.

Just out of interest, how many head on collisions on Cressy had to happen to overcome the "no one will really give a shit" philosophy, and change Cressy to a down-only track?

If you read back a few post ,ive explained the reasone for the improvement works

No one will give a shit if "YOU " ride the trail or not ,thats your choice.

That's the only thing I don't give a shit about ,get that straight thanks.

I wont be adding any thing further here, id rather a face to face conversation, now I'm of to enjoy the trail.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
If you read back a few post ,ive explained the reasone for the improvement works

No one will give a shit if "YOU " ride the trail or not ,thats your choice.

That's the only thing I don't give a shit about ,get that straight thanks.

I wont be adding any thing further here, id rather a face to face conversation, now I'm of to enjoy the trail.
Cant please every one, don't like it don't ride ,no one will really gives a shit
You already appear to have made your "attitude" quite clear.

What you have published on a public forum, and what you think it means, may be two different things.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
The automatic response of a builder when faced with negative criticism is to get defensive, Ive been there enough at lysty to know them feels. My response is usually pretty similar;
Come join us, grab a shovel and have some input
And/or
Don't like it, don't ride it. I won't lose any sleep

There's a multitude of reasons why a track might be "dumbed down", and sometimes builders get jack of having to explain it all to every budding Sam Hill. It might be a directive from PV (whos in charge the land we play with), it might be a safety concern (because Ambos get sick of picking up bits of mountain bikers off the side of hills), or it might be to reduce wear or improve drainage (because we want the trails to last).

Before you get too pissy about him getting pissy, try to look at it from the other side of the fence. It smarts a bit when you have to put big efforts into changing a trail in a direction you don't even like and then getting shit canned about it

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I think the biggest change is just that the track was heavily worn and eroded before the works. The erosion made the rocks more pronounced, so repairing the erosion has taken the severity out of some of the rocky sections. That's what I was referring to when I said the track is easier now. To me it's not a bad thing, because I'm a pretty poxy rider so it helps me not be beached on rocks for half the trail. It's still more challenging than Cressy for sure, just not quite as techy as it was. But hey, for the people that want more of that there's Bandages and Turbs. I look forward to riding it after a few months of riding once it's all packed down hard. I reckon all the extra kickers are mint too, will be fast and fun after the trail is worn in a bit more.

moorey

call me Mia
I’ll be sure to do a few runs on the weekend, but I know I’ll still love it. It’s the perfect mix of technical and flow, always keeping me on my toes.
Ride Turbs and Bandages if you want to be more challenged.
I, like many 99% are in awe of the work @trav and the crew do at the Youies.
As someone who used to put 100’s of hours a year into the Nerrina race tracks in Ballarat, only to have some people criticize but never lift a finger, I’ll jusr ride and appreciate what other are doing.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I’ll be sure to do a few runs on the weekend, but I know I’ll still love it. It’s the perfect mix of technical and flow, always keeping me on my toes.
Ride Turbs and Bandages if you want to be more challenged.
I, like many 99% are in awe of the work @trav and the crew do at the Youies.
As someone who used to put 100’s of hours a year into the Nerrina race tracks in Ballarat, only to have some people criticize but never lift a finger, I’ll jusr ride and appreciate what other are doing.
*just *others

many 99%..... NFI

Jpez

Down on the left!
I can’t help feeling this has become a bit blown out of proportion.
People are entitled to opinions and no one here is shy about offering opinions.
In saying that having an opinion about wether you like a trail more now or the way it was before doesn’t mean you don’t respect the amazing work of Trav and the trail builders.
And I show my respect and support by being a club member and contributing $$.

This thread is to talk about the Youyangs. I don’t think anyone is shitting on Travs work. Just discussing the changes. If that means some people aren’t in love with it so be it.
I appreciate Travs positive input into why the trail changes were made. And I mentioned in another thread that I’m warming to the changes and I’m still going to have a ton of fun Riding it, but that won’t change the fact I preferred it as it was but boo hoo for me.

Each and every time I ride the Youis I’m blown away and grateful for the amazing place we have and all the hard graft that goes into it. I’m not a trail builder but I work with my hands and body and I create so I think I understand the blood sweat and tears that goes into building what is the Youis. For the record I asked if I could help out when Travs was ruined by those Knobheads but was politely declined. If I had more time I’d love to offer more. But membership $$ is the best I can do atm.
Just doesn’t mean I have to love every bit of it.
Trail building is an art form. All forms of art are gonna be criticised. Ive seen much worse criticism of other trails around the country on this very forum. Just the way it is and will alway be.

People have opinions.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Well said.

I'm a club member but I still chuck money into the donation columns every time I ride. I feel that's the least I can do.

Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one but they think each others stink.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
I, for one, greatly appreciate the improvements made to Trav's. I actually managed on the weekend to ride every feature and make it down in one piece, something I've never achieved before (ok I haven't ridden it for years and I'd like to think I've improved as a rider and also now having the best bike I've ever owned might have something to do with it). I found it quite challenging, but still achievable. I look forward to many more runs down it, and the opportunity that will give me to improve further.

Also, the trail literally has the man's name on it, let's let him build it as he sees fit.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Yep, you can hit some decent speeds down there, that's for sure. Maybe throw a message to the club on their Facebook page.

How bad was it @.Luke.?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Yep, always been a mystery to me. Steep grades and blind corners aren't a good mix on a 2-way trail.

FWIW, Trav's Diamond has been firming up nicely and is starting to flow really well. (Maybe not ideal riding in today's rain though!)

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Had a head on incident going down Lactic Acid recently. Cant understand how this track is two way, especially given the nature of so called improvement works.
Please make it one way!
Shhh, best not to bitch about track works at youies, they are a little touchy about this subject, you might get told to fuck off and not come back!

However, every person I ride with there completely agree with your request and would also include boulder as needing to be one way.