The You Yangs Thread

slowmick

38-39"
Yellow donation pole at the Stockyards/Drysdale Road end of the You Yangs
Yellow Pole at Drysdale Road.jpg

Much thanks to Trav and the You Yangs team for the glorious trails - we had a ball - though the rock gardens are a little intimidating on a 29er hardtail with a steep fork angle. :llama:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Yellow donation pole at the Stockyards/Drysdale Road end of the You Yangs
View attachment 296483

Much thanks to Trav and the You Yangs team for the glorious trails - we had a ball - though the rock gardens are a little intimidating on a 29er hardtail with a steep fork angle. :llama:
how have I missed that? The trails are great Mick- only a few rock gardens are an issue on a HT but still doable

dunndog

Eats Squid
Number of times I've ridden past that pole: many.
Number of times I've seen it: zero.
Better whack some folding currency in there sometime!

Big JD

Wheel size expert
membership to YYMTBInc

You need a stick to make it drop down when using folding - it gets stuck just inside the slot...

View attachment 296535
we need one either at the ranger station- next to the tap/toliet and/or near the Karragong carpark/ pump track and shelter/bbq. Need to sign up as a member on YYMTB Inc.
http://www.youyangsmtbinc.com.au/membership.html
Need the option to pay online Trav- cant do cheques. Is that option available? i dont want a license just be a club member/ trail supporter- do would like to buy a tshirt too

Last edited:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
we need one either at the ranger station- next to the tap/toliet and/or near the Karragong carpark/ pump track and shelter/bbq. Need to sign up as a member on YYMTB Inc.
http://www.youyangsmtbinc.com.au/membership.html
Need the option to pay online Trav- cant do cheques. Is that option available? i dont want a license just be a club member/ trail supporter- do would like to buy a tshirt too
oh i see you can make a trail donation via Paypal- can you also be a memebr and buy a tshirt too.

trav

Likes Dirt
oh i see you can make a trail donation via Paypal- can you also be a memebr and buy a tshirt too.
Yes , all $10 donations go into the draw to win a new Giant trance,there is also a donation box at the rangers station mate.

Any one can buy a t shirt, no worries.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Can ppl ride tomorrow at Youies who aren't part of event??

I'm happy to donate to the cause just didn't realise anything was on

Edit: nevermind I've figured it out. Cheers

Last edited:

trav

Likes Dirt
How is the "epic" trail progressing?
3/4 of stage 1 was opened a few weeks ago,head down check it out.

We hope to get the final 900 meters or so finished early next year,works for the national rnd put the brakes on the "epic".

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
3/4 of stage 1 was opened a few weeks ago,head down check it out.

We hope to get the final 900 meters or so finished early next year,works for the national rnd put the brakes on the "epic".
Cheers. Any chance of directions for someone that doesn't know the place that well ..... yet.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Cheers. Any chance of directions for someone that doesn't know the place that well ..... yet.
I'm wondering the same thing. Had a look around and it doesn't seem to be on any of the maps or updates on any of the sites... (unless I'm blind, but wouldn't be the first time!)

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I'm hopefully heading to the youies this Sunday morning. Does anyone have any info of where the new flow track starts and finishes?

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I'm hopefully heading to the youies this Sunday morning. Does anyone have any info of where the new flow track starts and finishes?
is that the new epic/XC/flow trail- not sure if it is open yet- one start/ finish point is across the road from the ranger station just below the mantainance shed/ compound.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
If it's track 1 then yes stage 1 is open and is great to ride - it's just behind the duckponds school near the ranger station as mentioned by Big JD. It's about 2.5km long and exits onto a road away from other trails, so just go back along it in reverse.

GR8M8

Squid
Best front tyre for the youies XC

G'day Guys, what do you all run while there in dry conditions. I'm using Racing Ralphs with 30psi at the moment & feel like the front wheel is going to wash out at any time.
Would love a more confidence building tyre.

Cheers, Geoff.

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
G'day Guys, what do you all run while there in dry conditions. I'm using Racing Ralphs with 30psi at the moment & feel like the front wheel is going to wash out at any time.
Would love a more confidence building tyre.

Cheers, Geoff.
Front - maxxis ardent 2.25, Rear - Maxxis minon dhr II 2.30

I run these year round as im not really a full tyre condition snob, probably more lazy than anything and CBF changing.
However I find this combo works well for me at least in most conditions. Especially the YY's.
I like having beef at the back, and the Minon grabs really well, zero pedal slip.
I ride these in wet Lysty conditions and wet red hill trails last week and they work fine also.

edit - Im also not a huge pressure snob.
But I run them around roughly
front - 33-35ish
Rear - 35-37ish

Last edited:

kbekus

Likes Dirt
I struggle with this too - I run Hans Dampfs and I find dropping a few PSI at the front makes a worthwhile difference - try maybe 26 or so. I keep the rear at 30 for a slight buffer against the rocks.