The You Yangs Thread

Matt C

Likes Dirt
Man, what is with the face of that last table-top on Cressy!? Bloody thing now points you at the moon. It's the kind of table-top you'd expect to see in a beginners dirt jump line- dumb for that part of the track given the speed you are carrying. Bet there's been a tonne of people doing the dead sailor & unnecessarily axing themselves on that thing since it's had a rework.
I hear ya. It caught me out on the first run down Cressy on Monday. Hadn't been out there in a while. Had 3 other sphincter tightening moments on the same run. Cased one of the doubles while landing with the bike leant over. Rear wheel now has a permanent wobble until I replace the rim. Note to self: Your new bike with more travel does not make up for any skills you are lacking.

On a positive note, how cool is the Eliminator track ?! Repping that will get you seriously fit. I was shattered after sprinting only one lap.

Ideate

Or suck it up and and adjust mid-air. The tranny is out of proportion though. There needs to be a table top there like the one at the start of the 4X track. braAAAAPP!

takai

Eats Squid
Man, what is with the face of that last table-top on Cressy!? Bloody thing now points you at the moon. It's the kind of table-top you'd expect to see in a beginners dirt jump line- dumb for that part of the track given the speed you are carrying. Bet there's been a tonne of people doing the dead sailor & unnecessarily axing themselves on that thing since it's had a rework.
Yeah, that tabletop caused my accident just after there. Its fairly excessive for the speed you are doing at that point:

At mach1 it doesn't matter where you take off on that face, be it scrubbing for your life, buzzing your fruit medley or otherwise, keeping it low you're still blowing by the transition by a good 4m+. Conventional table tops are generally designed as a "safer" feature option for relative new-comers yet have always been made with take-offs/lengths/transitions that are indicative of/cater to the trail's grade, section's speed & most importantly skill level of the intermediate to highly experienced rider i.e. tables being a skills progression feature for the less experienced. As it currently stands that last table kind of doesn't know what it wants to be or where it wants to be. For the experienced rider who is hauling down through there it's counter-intuitive to the preceding technical features i.e. the three high speed doubles/gaps, particularly with it being one of the fastest sections of the track. It's just a bit of a strange one to come into such a disproportionate feature with such a short steep lip given how much speed you're carrying.

Genuinely not a bag-out on whoever has re-tuned that table top. I actually think that (theoretically) it's a great final feature for those other riders who haven't hit the previous 3 high speed doubles/gaps, but in its current form it's just completely out of whack with that section & surely has got to be cleaning up a number of riders across all skill levels. The first iteration of that table when Cressy was first established, while still being slightly short, at least had a face that was a sensible speed kicker.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Beautiful day for a ride out there today. Grippy, cool, sunny. Lot's of riders out.

My only gripe was the number of near misses I had with people not watching out enough when descending. I was doing multiple reps up Rockwell down Lactic, and each time up Rockwell I had to slam on the brakes and jump off the track because some numpty was locked up and out of control coming down towards me.

On the plus side, my inner zen was good today, and I refrained from being impolite.

Markee

Likes Dirt
Hey Pasta what are you riding? I think we might have crossed paths at some point. I was doing the same as you and yes a few guys heading down Rockwell while I was ascending. Only one obeyed the rules of the trail by giving way to those climbing.
I did all the trails in the Stockyards this morning. Like you said cool weather and plenty of grip. I was riding the Orange and blue Remedy 9, white/grey Bell Super lid.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Hey Pasta what are you riding? I think we might have crossed paths at some point. I was doing the same as you and yes a few guys heading down Rockwell while I was ascending. Only one obeyed the rules of the trail by giving way to those climbing.
I did all the trails in the Stockyards this morning. Like you said cool weather and plenty of grip. I was riding the Orange and blue Remedy 9, white/grey Bell Super lid.
Yep, think I remember that rig. I ride a trek 29er hardtail, blue jersey.

Yep, think I remember that rig. I ride a trek 29er hardtail, blue jersey.
Silver flatbars?

EDIT: I think Giant demo days at the Youies need to be renamed Giant Demo Scratch & Dent days- seemed like a swag of noodleheads were caning themselves out there today. Rocked up to the Stockyards carpark & it was so busy for that time of the morning that I got a sinking feeling an event was on.

Last edited:
Yep, one of those weirdly shaped Ritchey jobbies. You were out there too Shakes?
Yeah, I passed you going in the opposite direction on a couple of occasions & said gday to you. Last pass was when you were descending & I was climbing Trilogy/Rockwell circa 10:30 on my way for a last run down Boulder back to the car. Was on a bright yellow Turner, blue jersey/green shorts, yellow TLD helmet.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Yeah, I passed you going in the opposite direction on a couple of occasions & said gday to you. Last pass was when you were descending & I was climbing Trilogy/Rockwell circa 10:30 on my way for a last run down Boulder back to the car. Was on a bright yellow Turner, blue jersey/green shorts, yellow TLD helmet.
Hope I said hello back!

And given my previous comments, I also hope I shared the trail:)

Shame we didn't get a chance to chat, next time.

GR8M8

Squid
I was doing the same as you and yes a few guys heading down Rockwell while I was ascending. Only one obeyed the rules of the trail by giving way to those climbing.
Who's book of rules have you got?
You need to give way to descending riders.

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Who's book of rules have you got?
You need to give way to descending riders.
I think you'll find that he's referring to the widely accepted IMBA rules which are posted on the trail maps at the You Yangs...

Specifically:
IMBA said:
Bicyclists traveling downhill should yield to ones headed uphill, unless the trail is clearly signed for one-way or downhill-only traffic. In general, strive to make each pass a safe and courteous one.
See here if you want more info:
https://www.imba.com/about/rules-trail

beardi

Likes Dirt
Anyone know what the BBQ situ at YY's is? We're riding there on Sat and were hoping to have a BBQ lunch afterwards...does it take coins? if so what $$ amount do i need to bring a heap of?

trav

Likes Dirt
Anyone know what the BBQ situ at YY's is? We're riding there on Sat and were hoping to have a BBQ lunch afterwards...does it take coins? if so what $$ amount do i need to bring a heap of?
BBQ at Drysdale Rd shelter is free.

rollingrambo

Likes Dirt
I popped in for a look on wednesday arvo and was pretty blown away as I haven't been there in about 4 or 5 years. Wanted to check out more of the works but it was getting late and I needed a poop. Can't wait to ride there soon!