The You Yangs Thread

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Yeah, it's a black. Some pretty hairy drops if you're not used to that kind of thing. I haven't ridden it yet. My son has; he struggled in places, but stayed upright.

Marx

Likes Dirt
Pretty sure your taking about the cross country eliminator track. Here's a video of it... http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FOMbowwTiQo

It has some tricky bits, I think it'd probably be classed as a black going by the other tracks ratings around it.
Yep that's it.
I remember that sign at the track head (at the end of the vid), but was going the other way on the Management trail so I didn't stop to read it (duh).
Looks cool.
I was attempting to string trails together for a 50km XC loop on Saturday without doing any trail twice.
Somewhere it said that Trav's is ridable as a climb but it didn't look it, is that right?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Somewhere it said that Trav's is ridable as a climb but it didn't look it, is that right?
Yes Trav's is two-way. "Rideable" in an upward direction is open to interpretation - I've been up it once, a considerable proportion was walked.

Like Cressy before it was made descent only, be very mindful of riders coming down, they will not be expecting anyone attempting to come up it!

dynamitedread

Likes Dirt
It's wet

So how's the You Yangs holding up during our recent wet spell ?. Myself and mate from work was hoping to head out on Friday for a ride. We both work shifts and very rarely get the same days off and had planned the ride for weeks. Guessing the plantation will be swampy stockyard ok. So Will it be a wash out so to speak or still rideable ? Don't wanna be a trail ripper. Cheers

Big JD

Wheel size expert
They have had 24 mms and have asked (Facebook) that we give the trails a few days to recover

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Posted this afternoon:

As rain continues to fall very heavily in the region today, WE HIGHLY RECOMMEND AVOIDING THE TRAILS.
Although not quite yet officially closed we are edging towards the trigger point ahead of the weekend.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Given there was no rain today and none (I think?) forecast tomorrow, how would it hold up to an arvo spin out there before any more rain falls?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Given there was no rain today and none (I think?) forecast tomorrow, how would it hold up to an arvo spin out there before any more rain falls?
They never closed the trails, Stockyards should be fine tomorrow.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Dry today & again tomorrow will have it in pretty awesome nick.

Keep in mind Geelong MTB Club are having a race in the Stockyards area tomorrow (Saturday) morning, so it might be polite to avoid certain trails. Should all be done & dusted by early arv though, so all clear later.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Dry today & again tomorrow will have it in pretty awesome nick.

Keep in mind Geelong MTB Club are having a race in the Stockyards area tomorrow (Saturday) morning, so it might be polite to avoid certain trails. Should all be done & dusted by early arv though, so all clear later.
Perfect Ducky, I'll be smashing out a bit of Scooby Doo Live until the early arvo anyway!

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Pretty good. A few little puddles around quarry loop, but very grippy. Only shitty bit is the fire access from the end of Quarry back towards the carpark across the top of the Eliminator course, but you wouldn't ride that out of choice anyway.... No idea what the Kurrajong side is like, I didn't ride there, but expect it to be decent too.

dunndog

Eats Squid
How were the trails dog?
Yep, like duck said. Grip was high, bugger all puddles around, rocks were pretty dry. Prime conditions. Lots of shall we say punters around too, there were a group of african dudes who I doubt ride much, smiles ear to ear. A group of asian guys in full dh kit hanging out near the shipping container (lost)? but all smiles as well, and a few guys on dh rigs wearing footy shorts and no helmets (tut tut!!), but also having a great time. Happy days at the You Yangs!!
Oh, and the burning question: how was Scooby Doo? Well, if screaming kids and the unwavering aroma of baby poo does it for you, it was all time...

Last edited: