The You Yangs Thread

dunndog

Eats Squid
I'll be riding a wave of despair to work, that's all I'll be riding on Tuesday. If my cards fall the right way I may get out for a spin tomorrow, but it's probably unlikely mate.
Today was good though.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
If you're riding Kurrajong, be aware that there's fallen trees over the track in a couple of places (including coming out of one tricky, tight turn as you come down track 16 going clockwise). I ran into Trav this afternoon; trail crew are aware, but apparently it's up to Parks Vic to do something about it.

padams10003

Likes Dirt
What would be the better choice of bike (Aurum vs Trance) to take for the upcoming shuttle day? I will be looking to ride all of the downhill tracks.

I'm thinking the Aurum is probably too much bike for most of the tracks and would also be a pain to ride from the carpark to the shuttle pick up spot.

I've been to the You Yangs once before on the Trance, but had to pedal uphill.

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Trav/anyone know what's happening with the epic loop? Is it going to be extended up to the stockyards?
The sections already there starting at the rangers hut are great, but it'd be awesome to have a complete singletrack loop.

dunndog

Eats Squid
I'd say if you plan on smashing turbs and bog all day then the aurum. If you wanna ride all over the place, go the trance. It won't get bogged down like the big bike will.

poita

Likes Dirt
Trav/anyone know what's happening with the epic loop? Is it going to be extended up to the stockyards?
The sections already there starting at the rangers hut are great, but it'd be awesome to have a complete singletrack loop.
I'm not in the loop, but last I heard it was a work in progress. The original alignment planned didn't get the go ahead from Parks so there needed to be some rethinking. Also a lot of parks staff changed over street the first section was completed so relationships needed to be re established.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
I believe that's the plan, yeah.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
ALL TRAILS CLOSED
53mm of rain has hit the You Yangs in the past 24 hours and Parks Victoria have closed all the trails until further notice.
Please share and respect the closure.
Hopefully they'll be right for Sunday.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
All trails remain closed today.
The rangers will be assessing the trails later today and providing an update on there condition.
Please continue to respect the closure.
B-but...I wanted to ride today!

*pout*

fphmtb

Likes Bikes
Just wondering how big some of the jumps at the you yangs are? And which are the hardest to hit?
Westagte
Creek gap
Blind step down

Cheers

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Just wondering how big some of the jumps at the you yangs are? And which are the hardest to hit?
Westagte
Creek gap
Blind step down

Cheers
I've never measured them, but I'd guess they're in the ~6-8m range. I haven't hit the Westgate, but have done the Creek Gap and Blind step-down many times in the past. Blind step-down is easy enough (speed pending), just a bit freaky because you can't see what's involved until you're on the (short) ramp. I've hit it too slow and tapped the flat rock just after the ramp and that was still fine. Wouldn't want to land in 'the crack' though...

Creek Gap is a super easy jump, but has a shitty run-in, which makes it hard to get enough speed. Trick is to gap off the corner of the rock beside the corner before it to hold speed. Otherwise you're having to pedal like a mofo right up to the ramp to make the distance. I've come up well short on that one and it was OK. Not great, but doable on a DH bike. I wouldn't want to come up short on a trail bike...

Was going to hit the Westgate, but axed myself on the drop just before it...

All of these jumps are built by a sadist, so the consequences are far worse than your average 6-8m gaps. Like most of the tech stuff between the long sections of pedally footpath at the You Yangs :behindsofa: