The You Yangs Thread

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Scary stuff, but excellent response time from the Ambos from what I heard. Around 10 minutes. A lot of the local Ambos are clued up to how bad things can get out there which is good for all of us!

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Posted on Facebook this morning:

Not sure what part of Track 7 is closed, riders are not quite understanding.

Have just been advised by the trail crew, that a group of riders have used the track last night and destroyed the last 6 days of work that they have been completed!

The money that was provided to Parks Victoria for this work was denoted by the GMBC and YY MTB Inc.

The trail will now remained closed indefinitely until both clubs can get the funds and time become available to fix the damaged work.
Well done, fuckwits.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I have trouble picturing what sort of financial damage to the trail, a couple of riders could do. In no way dismissing their fuckwittery, but would be interested to see the damage.
I might walk it on Sunday and take a few photos......

But I might not either.....

trav

Likes Dirt
I have trouble picturing what sort of financial damage to the trail, a couple of riders could do. In no way dismissing their fuckwittery, but would be interested to see the damage.
Some one has to re profile the trail surface as it was soft when said fuckwitts rode it.

That will take time and time is money .Walking all over it also causes just as much damage ,just keep away until its opened.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
FYI - Trav's Diamond has reopened today after some extra funding from the clubs and effort from the volunteers. A fair bit more flowy, a lot of little step-downs added in - but still a fair bit of rock in there still just a bit more formalised. Couple of the new berms about 1/3rd of the way down are still a bit powdery so it'll be interesting to see how they hold up.

Jpez

Down on the left!
FYI - Trav's Diamond has reopened today after some extra funding from the clubs and effort from the volunteers. A fair bit more flowy, a lot of little step-downs added in - but still a fair bit of rock in there still just a bit more formalised. Couple of the new berms about 1/3rd of the way down are still a bit powdery so it'll be interesting to see how they hold up.
I loved Travs because it was so technical. You had to be on your game to run it fast.
I ran the new updated version today and not to shit on all the hard work the trail crew have put In but I can’t say I’m super impressed.
It’s been imo dumbed down. Gone are a lot of the tricky rock garden sections that gave me so much grief when I was starting off there. Don’t get me wrong it’s a really nice flowy fast trail now but I can’t help feeling a lot of the challenge has been taken away from it. I dropped 14 seconds off it on my 1st run today.
Again big respect to the trail crew For ALL the awesome work but I’m going to miss the old travs.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I loved Travs because it was so technical. You had to be on your game to run it fast.
I ran the new updated version today and not to shit on all the hard work the trail crew have put In but I can’t say I’m super impressed.
It’s been imo dumbed down. Gone are a lot of the tricky rock garden sections that gave me so much grief when I was starting off there. Don’t get me wrong it’s a really nice flowy fast trail now but I can’t help feeling a lot of the challenge has been taken away from it. I dropped 14 seconds off it on my 1st run today.
Again big respect to the trail crew For ALL the awesome work but I’m going to miss the old travs.
Yeah, it's definitely a significantly easier trail now - but I reckon after 6-12 months once everything's been properly bedded in and the rocks start to expose a little more it will be similar to how it was, just a little faster. My legs were totally cooked when we rode it (I really pushed it on the climbs yesterday and it was our 5th descent for the day) so in my case I was okay with it having been tamed a little! I'll be the first to throw my hand up and admit I prefer flow trails to gnar though.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Yeah, it's definitely a significantly easier trail now - but I reckon after 6-12 months once everything's been properly bedded in and the rocks start to expose a little more it will be similar to how it was, just a little faster. My legs were totally cooked when we rode it (I really pushed it on the climbs yesterday and it was our 5th descent for the day) so in my case I was okay with it having been tamed a little! I'll be the first to throw my hand up and admit I prefer flow trails to gnar though.
Yeah I like a bit of flow too. Maybe it’s time I focus a bit more on Turbs and Bandages.

Last edited:

Matt C

Likes Dirt
Agreed. Appreciate the work but it's lost the majority of its technicality. If I can ride down it and not be worried by getting caught up on any section, it says a lot ;) I'll miss it for sure. Was my fav trail out there. Seriously, I would love to know why it had to be changed at all.

trav

Likes Dirt
Agreed. Appreciate the work but it's lost the majority of its technicality. If I can ride down it and not be worried by getting caught up on any section, it says a lot ;) I'll miss it for sure. Was my fav trail out there. Seriously, I would love to know why it had to be changed at all.
Majority of its technicality changed? untrue
Only 2 section of rock work changed,every other rock remains untouched and with further rock steps added.
The reasons for the the changes to those 2 section was simple,safety and sustainability it was just getting messy with every one blowing of the trail .
The first of the changes to the rocky corner with the sleepers on the exit isn't as difficult as the old one I agree .
The other rock garden mess further down wasn't hard to gap it all and neither is its replacement , so nothing has changed there.

As for the other 800 meteres of work ,well that's all just improvement works, 24 culverts installed ,improved flow and reprofiling the trail tread, rebuilding 1 berm,rock steps that can be gapped, opening up some choke points and adding further choke points.

Cant please every one and never will,but every one ive spoken to believes the trail has improved for the better.

Matt C

Likes Dirt
Majority of its technicality changed? untrue
Only 2 section of rock work changed,every other rock remains untouched and with further rock steps added.
The reasons for the the changes to those 2 section was simple,safety and sustainability it was just getting messy with every one blowing of the trail .
The first of the changes to the rocky corner with the sleepers on the exit isn't as difficult as the old one I agree .
The other rock garden mess further down wasn't hard to gap it all and neither is its replacement , so nothing has changed there.

As for the other 800 meteres of work ,well that's all just improvement works, 24 culverts installed ,improved flow and reprofiling the trail tread, rebuilding 1 berm,rock steps that can be gapped, opening up some choke points and adding further choke points.

Cant please every one and never will,but every one ive spoken to believes the trail has improved for the better.
Thanks for replying

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Spot on. We still have the fun part of junction, until it gets sedated.

While I certainly agree that you can't please everyone, everyone I ride with has said the opposite with unanimously negative reviews to the track changes.

I am sure the strava crowd and the long wheelbase 29'er crowd love the changes, however the rest of us who enjoyed all the little awkward parts that made it a challenging track, and therefor a track that did not get boring, aren't impressed. A few bits are indeed better from a safety point of view, particularly a right hander towards the bottom that was completely blown out.

Lets turn every track into cressy! yay, no, please don't do that.

trav

Likes Dirt
Spot on. We still have the fun part of junction, until it gets sedated.

While I certainly agree that you can't please everyone, everyone I ride with has said the opposite with unanimously negative reviews to the track changes.

I am sure the strava crowd and the long wheelbase 29'er crowd love the changes, however the rest of us who enjoyed all the little awkward parts that made it a challenging track, and therefor a track that did not get boring, aren't impressed. A few bits are indeed better from a safety point of view, particularly a right hander towards the bottom that was completely blown out.

Lets turn every track into cressy! yay, no, please don't do that.
I must be ridding a different track to your crowd?

Every one I have spoken with face to face love the trail more now. Ive said it before and again ,ONLY yes only 2 rocky sections were changed all the other rocks were not touched.So I find it extremely hard to see how any one could come up with "its been dumbed down" or "it a lot easier now".

Its all on the original foot print ,just flows a bit better now .

Happy to debate any one site on this subject to prove them wrong,just contact me.

Cant please every one, don't like it don't ride ,no one will really gives a shit

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
There was only really 2 sections that I noticed a big difference.

The fork munching rock at the right hander up the top and the sleeper rock section.

The rock was no big loss and the sleeper section is safer now.

I also like a few of the little kickers put in place that encourage you to hit sections faster / harder.

Still a challenge and still tech enough and different to the rest of the trails there.

I'm just grateful that we have such a great place to ride that luckily enough we don't have to pay for!

Thanks again for the great work @trav and crew!

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I must be ridding a different track to your crowd?

Every one I have spoken with face to face love the trail more now. Ive said it before and again ,ONLY yes only 2 rocky sections were changed all the other rocks were not touched.So I find it extremely hard to see how any one could come up with "its been dumbed down" or "it a lot easier now".

Its all on the original foot print ,just flows a bit better now .

Happy to debate any one site on this subject to prove them wrong,just contact me.

Cant please every one, don't like it don't ride ,no one will really gives a shit
maybe the trail does flow better, maybe it doesn't.

I get that you do a truckton of work on the you yangs, and we appreciate that.

You could explain to us how you think it flows better. Being right or wrong or "debating" the merits of any one or a number of features - that comes across as "trav is right, and anyone who disagrees is wrong" your opinion forcefully put, and anyone who disagrees "don't like it don't ride, no one will really give(s) a shit".

How specifically does that sit in the context of a common resource on public land?

Anyone who uses the track has just as much right to an opinion on its merits as those who have constructed the track.

Trav, It's not Your resource, it's Everyone's resource.

It would be far more useful to take feedback on board, and in turn, explain your reasoning for changes in a track. At worst, you and someone who disagrees might have to simply acknowledge a difference of opinion and leave it at that.

"no one will really give a shit" is the absolute opposite of the way anyone who represents a mountain bike club, and works closely with Parks Victoria, should present themselves in person, or on a public forum.

Just out of interest, how many head on collisions on Cressy had to happen to overcome the "no one will really give a shit" philosophy, and change Cressy to a down-only track?