The You Yangs Thread

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
My question is, why are you chosing to ride the Kurrajong side?
And a good one... It was closest to where I was coming from and I had to beat the incoming rain.

I did ride the black section of Junction and the jumps track a couple of times though if that makes it any better... :p

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
And a good one... It was closest to where I was coming from and I had to beat the incoming rain.

I did ride the black section of Junction and the jumps track a couple of times though if that makes it any better... :p
Just. Junction is a great trail.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Kurrajong is good for clocking up the kms, with just enough features to be fun without worrying that you're going to die/break something important.

wkkie

Kurrajong is good for clocking up the kms, with just enough features to be fun without worrying that you're going to die/break something important.
Very true. I was out there yesterday and it's starting to get skatey.

Still a great area and you can make it as hard as you want.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So finally going to try and get out here for the first time early tomorrow morning.
Looking to have a go at Cressy descent and bandages or glory, so I guess the 'stockyards' area?
I assume parking at Drysdale rd is the easiest for access to this area?

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So finally going to try and get out here for the first time early tomorrow morning.
Looking to have a go at Cressy descent and bandages or glory, so I guess the 'stockyards' area?
Make sure you don't lose your car down a pothole in the carpark (only a problem for those like me with small cars...)

Get a run of Trav's in as well!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Looking forward to the video (so I can check out all the lines I should've been riding for the last couple of years :p).

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers guys,
Yeah, wan't to give as many trails ago as I can. Should hopefully have about 2-3 hours to play with.

wkkie

Sure is @Chriso_29er . Don't leave out Lactic, Boulder and Travs as well if the full on downhill trails aren't quite your thing.

Climbing back up Rockwell Run is a good alternative to the fire road slog, but not a great idea to come up Lactic on the weekend. There's to much down traffic and speeds can get up there!

beeb

Cheers guys,
Yeah, wan't to give as many trails ago as I can. Should hopefully have about 2-3 hours to play with.
These are probably the two most common climbs:
(Original map taken from https://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/314471/Stockyards-MTB-brochure.pdf )

There are some other trails you can climb, but these sort of take into account the most common flow of traffic in the park.

I would do yellow climb up Rockwell Run (Track 4), down Lactic Acid (Track 6) to get a feel for the sand on the descents, continue down across Track 2 toward the red climb, go up then down Cressy (Track 13), up the red climb again then take Junction (Track 14 - it continues off the edge of the map), come back up the road and maybe try Trav's heading down if you're happy with how the rocks are going. Then maybe climb the road and work in a run down Boulder (Track 9) if the legs are still going alright...

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
These are probably the two most common climbs:
View attachment 355836
(Original map taken from https://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/314471/Stockyards-MTB-brochure.pdf )

There are some other trails you can climb, but these sort of take into account the most common flow of traffic in the park.

I would do yellow climb up Rockwell Run (Track 4), down Lactic Acid (Track 6) to get a feel for the sand on the descents, continue down across Track 2 toward the red climb, go up then down Cressy (Track 13), up the red climb again then take Junction (Track 14 - it continues off the edge of the map), come back up the road and maybe try Trav's heading down if you're happy with how the rocks are going. Then maybe climb the road and work in a run down Boulder (Track 9) if the legs are still going alright...
Thanks for the detailed info Beeb, legend!

cammas

Seamstress
Just a heads up Geelong MTB club has their club champs on tomorrow so there will be a few people around, from memory they’re using Lactic the churn at the bottom of Trav’s and up and over Nanas

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow, you guy's are lucky to have such very fun trails out there. Absolutely loved it!
Thanks for the guidance, used just the two climbs, road and rockwell.

Cressy Descent was just as I expected, Awesome.
Did all the main descending trails except for Trav's which was closed unfortunatley. A couple of the trails were a bit much for my little trail bike ha ha.

Also nice to meet @Mattyp , sweet looking bike too for a Giant :) Thanks for the heads up on Bandages. That is one crazy trail!
Had a big moment on Turbulance, but somehow kept upright ha ha.

I have video of a few runs will post it up after I finish getting back in the good books with the missus.

Cheers

beeb

Wow, you guy's are lucky to have such very fun trails out there. Absolutely loved it!
Thanks for the guidance, used just the two climbs, road and rockwell.

Cressy Descent was just as I expected, Awesome.
Did all the main descending trails except for Trav's which was closed unfortunatley. A couple of the trails were a bit much for my little trail bike ha ha.

Also nice to meet @Mattyp , sweet looking bike too for a Giant :) Thanks for the heads up on Bandages. That is one crazy trail!

I have video of a few runs will post it up after I finish getting back in the good books with the missus.

Cheers
You couldn't have picked a better day for it - Sunny, mild and tracks were running fast! Cressy was in beautiful condition especially.

I kept an eye out for you - but ended up riding mostly the black section of Junction (Track 14) several times with my mates, then rode down to the "dirt jumps" over the Kurrajong side and tooled around a bit, before coming back to the Stockyards side. Must've just missed you!

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Good to meet you mate, funny bumping into a rotorburner randomly like that, kept an eye out for you to show you down Turbuelence but must have been chasing eachother up the hills or something. Wasnt sure of your skill level but you seemed pretty keen on riding bandages so who am i to argue? Figured best to give you a heads up.