The You Yangs Thread

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I find it quite worrying how they've deliberately written out any reference to mountain biking in the park. Especially given the general refusal of Parks Vic to allow any works (even some repair work requested) by the club. I've already sent a response but hopefully plenty of others do to.

It's such a rare resource on the Western side of Melbourne, I really hope they're not trying to kill it off in a "death by a thousand cuts" approach.
It looked to me like they were canvassing for completely different parts of the You Yang park. Stockyards and Kurrajong weren't part of the questionnaire.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
I find it quite worrying how they've deliberately written out any reference to mountain biking in the park. Especially given the general refusal of Parks Vic to allow any works (even some repair work requested) by the club. I've already sent a response but hopefully plenty of others do to.

It's such a rare resource on the Western side of Melbourne, I really hope they're not trying to kill it off in a "death by a thousand cuts" approach.
It really does seem like that, doesn't it?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Sadly so. It's pretty sad when usage and demand keeps going up*, with mountain biking in Australia is booming generally - but the club is blocked from doing repairs/upgrades, toilets aren't repaired, roads and carparks are badly eroded, etc... As I understand it the club isn't even asking for funding for trails and are willing to wear the upgrade/repair costs themselves as long as permission for the works is granted. But currently it's a all just a big "no" under the blanket "culturally significant" refusal even though the trails are already existing and see huge usage/demand.

*(Seemingly even over winter, with Stockyards carpark full to overflowing a couple of times even on non-shuttle/event weekends this year)

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Anyone heard anything from the "department of treated pine posts" yet in regards to the aforementioned survey that was carried out?

Sent from my INE-LX2 using Tapatalk

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Wont win. Anglesea suffersfrom the same overly sensitive indigenous awareness stuff.. Going abit over the top down there now..already got numerous facilities to share this knowledge and history.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
FYI - Parks Victoria have announced that Youies is closed tomorrow (30 December) due to fire conditions

pineapplehead

Likes Dirt
Not many. But it’s a Parks thing across the board for TFB’s
Not true.
They do close most parks though on code Red days (the old catastrophic rating) unless it's a low risk for a burn.
High risk parks will be closed on Extreme days, eg Dandenongs.

TFB's are issued by the CFA and simply mean 'oi, no fires'.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Jpez

Down on the left!
More interested to see if it'll reopen after this with everything that's been happening out there. Could be the perfect excuse for them!
Yes very good question. Although a mate out there a couple of days ago said that there was repair work to the lander on the Westgate on Turbs which was getting really dangerously washed out. That couldn’t have happened without PV permission.
hopefully that’s a good sign.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Yes very good question. Although a mate out there a couple of days ago said that there was repair work to the lander on the Westgate on Turbs which was getting really dangerously washed out. That couldn’t have happened without PV permission.
Hmm hopefully just not a point of protecting themselves from any court cases of negligence. Here's hoping!

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Had noticed in recent months that first Bandages and then Turbulence were taped off for maintenance. It seems unlikely given the active interest of the YYMTB club that parks would actually close such well established trails. Doesn't seem like there'll be much chance of the network expanding in coming years but closing established highly-trafficked trails is very unlikely.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
As I understand it - the club has the funds and equipment available to maintain the tracks but getting Parks approval for works (even maintenance) is the hang-up. It's utterly insane when trail network usage has been booming over the last couple of years.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Back open as of today with a few trail closures due to water damage.

It'll be good to get out there again and stretch the legs.

I'll be over at the stock yards side tomorrow morning if anyone else is heading out too.