Things the MTB industry does wrong

goobags

Likes Dirt
Hope proprietary cassette requiring a proprietary free hub when an XD would work fine.

Shimano holding aftermarket companies out from the micro spline free hub for however long it was.

Dub BB.

At least there is some form of logic from 135qr to 142x12mm and then to 148 boost. Weather they should have gone to 150 straight away is another argument. However going to from non boost to 28 hole boost hubs and claiming they’re stiffer than non boost is just a marketing wank and frustrates me to no end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
Hope proprietary cassette requiring a proprietary free hub when an XD would work fine.

Shimano holding aftermarket companies out from the micro spline free hub for however long it was.

Dub BB.

At least there is some form of logic from 135qr to 142x12mm and then to 148 boost. Weather they should have gone to 150 straight away is another argument. However going to from non boost to 28 hole boost hubs and claiming they’re stiffer than non boost is just a marketing wank and frustrates me to no end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unusual move by hope. Was it a time when XD wasn’t allowed to be used, but they recognized the benefits of the 10t and the crappiness of HG?

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Unusual move by hope. Was it a time when XD wasn’t allowed to be used, but they recognized the benefits of the 10t and the crappiness of HG?
Hope and One Up did a joint project on the Mini hub driver and released as an open standard. Not sure why as I always thought XD was open. Seems to have fizzled and wonder if Hope will just release an XD compatible cassette in the future.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Hope and One Up did a joint project on the Mini hub driver and released as an open standard. Not sure why as I always thought XD was open. Seems to have fizzled and wonder if Hope will just release an XD compatible cassette in the future.

Hahaha

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There should be a more fluid relationship between distributor and store.
I am sure the majority of people here are looking for a particular bike, part or accessory when they enter a shop. As @moorey stated earlier, it should be something that can be easily sourced, rather than diverted to 20 items you don't want (admittedly current times are definitely worse)

I'd love to hear how many sales don't get made due to no stock or limited supply.

As much as people melt with all the new standards introduced, the MTB riding populace are typically pretty nerdy and waste far too much time faffing over insignificant details, so the companies keep doing it.

Also, the colour suggestion is a good one. Why couldn't the distributor hold multiple colours of each spec? The rivalry between SRAM & Shimano is as passionate as any on earth, once again how many sales do they lose due to speccing one and not the other.

My biggest pet peeve is that most bike shops are not very professional organisations.
It's a horrendously run industry

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Also. Fuck you fox
You have bought 38 Factory forks and they creak ?

Nearly every set I have had since 2015 have creaked, the 36's on my SC dont as the CSU was replaced - for creaking.

The 2015/16 Factory 32's on my XC race bike make me sick everytime I ride it :mad:

Calvin27

Eats Squid
how many sales do they lose due to speccing one and not the other
Probably tonnes. But I suspect their incentives to fully commit to one brand across the range gets them much cheaper prices.
Why couldn't the distributor hold multiple colours of each spec?
Because marketing. They generally use colours and colour schemes as a way to differentiate bicycle grade and spec between otherwise identical frames.