Thinking about getting a DJ bike

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
With the intention of using it to build my jumping skills and get my legs working on a pump track. What's good vs shithouse in DJ bikes ? I just saw a used Black Market bike pop up for sale, can't see much from the pics supplied other than it has a thru axle on the (Marzocchi ?) fork and the brake is on the wrong side

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Budget not set, don't want to spend much though..the bike above is advertised for $400. Looked up the Black market website and they show some complete DJ bikes for around $3K - how the fuck can they be worth that much !

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Budget not set, don't want to spend much though..the bike above is advertised for $400. Looked up the Black market website and they show some complete DJ bikes for around $3K - how the fuck can they be worth that much !
Buy a cheap one, have it break on a jump and see how much that hurts. Then go back and get something made to a better quality that’ll actually last.

If it’s a mob frame I’d get it, then replace whatever’s old and worn out. (i.e. those forks, grab some manitou circus’s for it). $400 is pretty decent. The mob was made in the US by S&M, it’ll be a quality frame.

If not look at completes from canyon, norco, DMR etc.

Edit: looking closer at that bike, it looks hammered. Not worth $400.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fork looks like a Marzocchi Dirt Jumper of some kind, not the greatest, fairly bombproof, and a bit on the heavier side. Looks like spring rather than air - DJ3 maybe? Black Market frames are good, given era of the bike it's probably a Riot if not a Mob.

$350-400ish probably not a bad price for something like that to mess about on, so long as it's in decent shape. If you do go and look at it, make sure to check out the condition of the wheels & hub engagement. Those cranks possibly look a bit suspect too.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I would avoid getting a frame that runs a 1 1/8 head tube. Not because there is anything wrong with the design, but fuck me it is hard to find a fork with a 1 1/8 steerer these days!

Buying a used dj is a bit like buying a used dh bike - the bike has been designed for getting thrashed, has probably been thrashed, and the new owner probably intends to thrash it. You need to be have confidence in your bike to hold together in some sketchy situations.

im not suggesting you buy from this site sponsor (they were just easy to look up) or even buy new, but these sort of prices should help you put a used bike price into perspective.

Ultra Lord

Price, weight and strength the top model circus expert is a bloody hard fork to beat.

Wouldn’t bother with an old marzocchi fork nowadays.

Poodles links are pretty solid. That black market will make a nice bike if you wanna replace everything on it, but it’ll benmore expensive for sure

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks all for your guidance :) I'll take my time and find something I don't have to rebuild and that won't break

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Geez you can get some nice bike for not much money nowadays. They both look like great options if you can budget for it.

Gone are the days of buying an STP for more than that and chucking a SS conversion on.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I bough a second hand 2009 gt ruckus and it's been awesome, I replaced a lot of the components not because they were crap but because of the weight, if you're just riding pump tracks and getting around 1m air max it will last a life time. You don't want anything expensive when you're starting out because when you crash it will bust up the bike and scratch the crap out of it.

Ultra Lord

I bough a second hand 2009 gt ruckus and it's been awesome, I replaced a lot of the components not because they were crap but because of the weight, if you're just riding pump tracks and getting around 1m air max it will last a life time. You don't want anything expensive when you're starting out because when you crash it will bust up the bike and scratch the crap out of it.
The flipside of this is when you crash an el cheapo bike, things break.

Also flexy wheels are bleugh.

padams10003

Likes Dirt
I was just in the same situation as you (ie. looking for a dirt jumper to build up jumping skills). I looked around a bit for a second hand bike, but found that I either had to travel a fair bit to look at the bike (and it could be a pos when i got there) or that people are unwilling to send extra photos of bikes and/or have no idea what the bike is (eg. asking for the size and getting told "it fits an adult" - that narrows it down).

In the end, i ended up buying a new DMR Sect for $999. Have only ridden it around the backyard so far, but everything seems solid enough on it. Will report back after the weekend when i give it its first real ride.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
@pink poodle @Ultra Lord

Slight derail but thoughts on RS Argyle R compared to Manitou Circus Expert?

From what I've read, the Argyle R is coil sprung with rebound adjustment.
Circus Expert is air sprung with some more adjustments.
Both perform well and reliably with the Circus slightly ahead but you can't really go wrong with either if you're getting into DJing

Ultra Lord

Argyles a stiffer chassis. And needs alot less maintenance Being a big ol’ dirty spring.

I run an argyle on my dirt jumper, with a firmer than normal spring and it’s pretty good (I also max out the compression adjust too).

The circus is lighter. Both good forks, be stoked with either, and they’re a fair whack cheaper than a fox dirt jump fork.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
My personal preference would be for the manipoo. Lighter and more adjustable is only part of the reason. While the Argyle will definitely be a (chassis) stiffer fork I have always found they feel like wood in the compression. I've tried a few - coil, air, the 140mm slope style version RS used to do...I didn't like any of them.

Keep an eye out for some fox float 36. I'm pretty sure you can slam them a fair way and get a butter fork...

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the info fellas ... I came across some new Circus Experts for about $280 and seeing if its worthwhile swapping out the barely used Argyle R's out and trying to make some funds back

Ultra Lord

Yeah, the action of the circus’s is nicer.

I’m lucky to get 40mm movement out of mine when I’m riding so the feel isn’t as important to me as it being stiff.

Getting stronger again aswel, the weight isn’5 bothering me so much anymore.