Thomson Dropper Post

raso

Likes Bikes
i have been waiting impatiently to purchase my first dropper post and had it down to either the reverb or the lev !
Now i will have to wait till next year :eek:hwell: I still would like the cable at the base but in the end overall performance
is what im in the market for !!

BM Epic

Eats Squid
I cant fathom how people have problems with the cable - as long as its running along the top tube with cable ties at 2 points, it should always bow out and up - miles away from rubbing the tyre. i can only think it might be a problem for shorter riders on small frames -particularly a 29er, where a cable coming out the back of the seatpost clamp area could conceivably rub the back tyre. Mine never gets within 6" of the tyre and so cable rubbing tyre is an impossibility.

Its the last thing I would consider for a dropper - useability, adjustability, and reliability are surely what we are after.
Yep, thats exactly what i was after when i got mine!

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had a Joplin 3 that i used on an AM bike that did XC to DH. It was routed on the built in cable mounts and when I rode it on DH trails I needed to drop the whole unit down into the frame first, to get the seat low enough.

I would use it extended fine for the pedally bits, but when it got hairy I would drop it right down and the cable would get buzzed by the back wheel. Ruined the cable very quickly.

While using the post in Xc or even AM situations cable buzz might not be a problem, for me in this situation a stationary cable was very important.

Bought a Kronolog largely for this reason.
Enough said....:mmph:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
outtacontrol, like i said earlier, if you are mounting the post do its close to the frame i can imagine a problem - but 90% of bikes I see, there is a good 9inches or so of seat post - less 5" of dropper, gives heaps of clearance. Just lately this particular forum has become somewhat obsessed about this need (since the arrival it would seem of the LEV) - its a need for a few bike/rider combos, but not in most that I see - maybe i hang with taller people, and poeple who run their extended height at maximum efficiency - ie high and not some BMX bandit height :D

russthedog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From Ridemonkey from the company that makes the cartridge in the system...
ill wait until i see results from the field before i believe the marketing spin form the people that manfucature the product - what do you expect them to say, thats reliability is just as good when going in at the base? cmon guys.

as i said, ill be convinced by results in the field - i dont see any real differentiation to some of the others out there anyway ie reverb.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ill wait until i see results from the field before i believe the marketing spin form the people that manfucature the product - what do you expect them to say, thats reliability is just as good when going in at the base? cmon guys.

as i said, ill be convinced by results in the field - i dont see any real differentiation to some of the others out there anyway ie reverb.
Exactly. The Kronolog was going to be the best thing ever. 2000 hours of testing they claimed must have been 200 riders testing for 10 hours, because they are shit. All of them have or will fail.

Even after returning them for warranty the fixed ones fail just as fast. They sent me a brand new one this time. Might as well have sent me a turd in a box....

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
LEV kinda debunks that thomo marketing spin for what it is ... Justification of an older design, on a 1st gen product, produced by a late entrant to the market. LEV has shown that a static actuation point enhances overall performance, reliability, user convenience and even aesthetics (see Mountain Biking Australia latest issue - amongst other reviews). But the static point isn't the big win in my mind, the ability to face the actuation point away from tire spray and the enclosure of the actuation and cable interface is the real design win, removing the last of the cable vs. hydro arguments. I can live with my cable being more prone to freezing over in temps below freezing :wacko:

LEV utilises Best of Breed design and technology, as backed up by the solid reviews and over 8 months of local trail riding experience. Many farkers have jumped on LEV I know, and many of these peeps wouldn't hesitate to shred LEV's rep if it warranted :eek:hwell:).

So we can see this Best of Breed title is a result of KS being in the dropper post segment from the start, producing its 4th generation of product development! Compare this to the competition that are either 2nd or 1st gen, or threw away their learnings and started over again, or haven't evolved their basic design from the start, or copy what others do.

Anyway, time will tell re performance and reliability ... The next big test is in the pricing because so far Supernatural pricing is untouched ... and LEV is looking like a right bargain :madgrin: :high5:

This is very pretty ... but I think we will see them eventually move to air adjustment as opposed to using a sealed nitro cart

Gripo

Eats Squid
I agree with ya Nerf, but I can't help thinking that those levers will end up "probing " the rider in an awkward crash.
Is there another pic of that lever.....does it come around and tuck under the nose of the seat...