Thought I had my bike locked down... no sizes left, need alternatives

slo

Likes Dirt
Hi all,
time for a new trail bike.
Im 196cm tall and 112kg.
Have come off a Remedy 27.5. Looking for something that could climb a bit better for longer loops, but still hold up alright on shuttle days.

Budget $4000ish.
Thinking aluminum frame (better spec than carbon counterparts).
27.5 or 29er (leaning towards 29er).
130-150mm travel.
Ideally boost front and rear.

Was tossing up between the Trek Fuel EX9 and the YT Jeffsy AL1 29er.. Convinced myself the Fuel was the go as the Jeffsy XL was more like a Trek L; and the Fuel has a boost fork (Jeffys is no boost front). Both winning points as I am a large unit. Called LBS, no Fuel EX9's available in 21.5. New Trek's being release soonish though.

So has anyone my size or similar ended up on a Jeffsy? How did you find the fit??
I know Spectrals are good bang for buck, but no boost makes me sad (FOMO :nono:) being a heavier dude I think boost is a good thing, aaaaaand shorter rear end.

Hit me up with other options / experiences.
Appreciate the insight!

Edit - Norco Sight C9.3.... any experiences??

Last edited:
29" wheels make sense for big guys
Specialized Enduro 29r?
Might be outside the budget but they're a good bike if you're able to get an XL.
I'm 6'3" and have had one for coming on 4yrs now. Real happy with it.
Not sure on boost or not or even on availability. Seems like Spesh run their stock almost boutique at times.
My XL was apparently last one in the country at the time.
Big burly bike has stood up to my ham fisted riding style and many tumbles with no issues what ever.
Pedals well and descends like a demon. Well beyond my capabilities.

geoz

Likes Bikes
I'd get the best frame (maybe carbon) I can. It's easier to change over the components as they wear out or financials permit. I know my bikes look very different over time.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Ideate

Edit - Norco Sight C9.3.... any experiences??[/B]

I've been looking into the new Norco Range (comes in 29" also). The Sight is pretty much the same except less travel. They look nice and are fairly cheap for a frame kit compared to other carbon frame kits and everyone raves about how the previous gen rode so that'd be a good option.

Dazzle's going to an XL Banshee Spitfire which would suit your description but it's a Banshee.. which is sort of like a Giant around here. Great bikes though.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Dazzle's going to an XL Banshee Spitfire which would suit your description but it's a Banshee.. which is sort of like a Giant around here. Great bikes though.
Wash your mouth out heathen....

Ideate

Wash your mouth out heathen....
I nearly bought a Range today. You would have been washing your mouth out from my trail dust M8.

18253188_1910096712604006_1398946066069454848_n.jpg

Edit: I'd have to garage sale EVERYTHING for it to slide with the missus.

Last edited:

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Would have thought a Banshee Prime was a better match for the OP's dimensions. Or double the budget and get a Hightower. Prime ticks all the boxes.

slo

Likes Dirt
Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated!
With the Jeffsy, they appear to be running small when compared to my previous remedy (20-30mm shorter reach / TT), and slightly smaller than current ride.
Anyone 196cm tall ridden a XL Jeffsy? How did you find it??

Ive opened up a whole new can of worms by looking at carbon options... Too many choices.
Specialized isnt really an option for me, went in to the shop once and they were wankers so wont spent my money with them :wof:

Good to hear the Norco's are getting good wraps.
Cant really justify boutique brands, paying a lot for the name and spec tends to suffer as a result.

notime

Likes Dirt
Trek did have current XL Fuel Ex 9.9 frames with Kashima shock for a good price. I was heading down the build my own path but ended up just getting the full 9.9.

Specialized isnt really an option for me, went in to the shop once and they were wankers so wont spent my money with them :wof:

Wankers don't deserve your hard earned.
Shop around.

Binaural

Eats Squid
197cm mate in USA rode the fuel with no real problems (has short arms for height though), unfortunately not the Jeffsy. I know you're not keen on the Canyons, but if you change your mind I can give some guidance to sizing there - I'm 195/112kg and ride a L Strive in the race geometry, it fits me very well and would also fit your budget. The Spectral in XL size covers people up to 200cm tall IIRC if you're after that "inside the frame" feel that is hard to get as a big rider.