Thoughts on a good wheelset

Salce77

Squid
Hey guys I need some advise.
Looking into purchasing a new wheelset for my 2017 Norco sight A7.1. Currently running the standard rims with the dreaded Sram Mth 746 rear hub, which loves to chew out bearings.

I have a few shortlisted rims such as DT Swiss xm481, raceface Arc 30's. Both of these would be on either Hope pro 4 hubs or a DT swiss hub. I'm looking to decrease some rotaitional mass but still be strong as I'm a 100kg fatty.
Any advise on these rims or even any other rims you guys use would be much appreciated.

moorey

call me Mia
Pro4 with flow mk3 is my absolute favorite combo. Arch mk3 if you’re not a plough...I can’t kill mine...but for 100g or so, go the Flow.
2 mates with the arc30 haven’t been overly happy with them, but that a small sample study.
@Boom King and a few others rate their spank vibeacore, but can’t recall model. They looked nice.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had trouble with the Flow Mk3 and found that when they dinged the wheel was pretty difficult to tension back up and have it hold tension. I have since gone to Spank Oozy 345 and I still dinged the hell out of them, but they still hold tension and are still round and true enough. I bought a spare set of Oozy rims to replace the dinged ones, but they have sat in the box for months now as I have not felt the need to replace the old ones.

Your mileage may vary though. I used to run silly low pressures and have started to run more conservative pressure (29 rear, 27 front) and could probably get away with riding Flows again.

The flow Mk3 are much more compliant and give a nicer trail feel. They Spanks are much stiffer and felt brutally harsh after riding the Flows, but I got used to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
Pro4 with flow mk3 is my absolute favorite combo. Arch mk3 if you’re not a plough...I can’t kill mine...but for 100g or so, go the Flow.
2 mates with the arc30 haven’t been overly happy with them, but that a small sample study.
@Boom King and a few others rate their spank vibeacore, but can’t recall model. They looked nice.
Flow Mk3 with Hopes on 1 bike, Spank Spike 350 Vibracore with Hopes on the other. Both great wheels and I’d be hard pressed to pick between them. I haven’t got nearly as many k’s on the Spikes yet though. Hard to comment as a side by side as I’ve never ridden them both on the same bike though.

I’m 90kg without gear, and I’ve never had a durability issue on the Flow setup. I’ve only finally managed to ding my Flow-Ex’s (3rd set of wheels) through a big whack on a rock garden, and they’re still fine otherwise.

You can’t go wrong either way I reckon. Spikes look better though, and better to build I found thanks to the foam fill saving me from my butter fingers.

Hipstar

Likes Dirt
I've got the raceface turbine R on my spitty. Awesome wheelset if you can find them

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Salce77

Squid
Cheers for all the replies guys, guess I'm on the money with the two choices I've narrowed it down to. Although the flows have also been thrown in now.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Depending on how much you're looking to spend it seems that Pushys are selling boost and non boost Enve wheels in 650b for a price relative to leaving them for the hard rubbish when you consider RRP.

At the other end I've nothing but good things to say about the Nukeproof Horizon wheels. Immediate 100kgs and they're solid despite 28 spokes.

29mm internal width, brass nipples, straight pull and 84 POE. Check out CRC...

Hipstar

Likes Dirt
Depending on how much you're looking to spend it seems that Pushys are selling boost and non boost Enve wheels in 650b for a price relative to leaving them for the hard rubbish when you consider RRP.

At the other end I've nothing but good things to say about the Nukeproof Horizon wheels. Immediate 100kgs and they're solid despite 28 spokes.

29mm internal width, brass nipples, straight pull and 84 POE. Check out CRC...
Also run a pair of these. Hub sound to die for.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lipstick on a pig
"That there's some fancy shooting!" They might not win the brand awards some are looking for but they're a decent wheel and the best thing is I don't stress over them like I do and have done with carbon wheels. :^)

And they do sound amazing...

moorey

call me Mia
"That there's some fancy shooting!" They might not win the brand awards some are looking for but they're a decent wheel and the best thing is I don't stress over them like I do and have done with carbon wheels. :^)

And they do sound amazing...
I’m just stirring @Hipstar. He wouldn’t know his arse from his elbow, through the wheels seem decent.