Thoughts on You Yangs VDHS

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Yer thats what i mainly talking about, There are a few places where i think some of those rock wouldent hurt to be moved, its not like moving them will open up quicker lines, just make it safer. Surly theres nothing wrong with that.

I never said easier, the track in fine the way it is and is a massive improvement over the old race track, Also Buller and Barjarg will always be some of the harder track in VIC but they also dont have strategically placed giant rocks just off the side of the track that could easily be moved.

The thread asked for my though and i gave them, Im just saying i would rather see someone limp home with bad gravel rash because he stack in the middle rock garden rather than get stretchered out because his arm isn broken in 3 places after hitting a big rock.

Yes its a dangerous sport and thats the risk we take riding DH, but because we all chose to take this risk doesnt mean that event organisers shouldn't take safety into consideration. People do crash you know.
I have to agree with what Brett says here.

That's the future right there, a young pinner that doesn't whinge and bitch because a track's too hard.
I don't think any is saying i's too hard to ride.

There is nothing dangerous with the obstacles that the Trail crew built out at the you yangs. What people forget and often over look is the run in and run outs of obstacles. Most are very safe, but there are sometimes a tree or very large rock in a position that it shouldn't be. (I'm not just talking youis here.) This is often made worse when it's man made. i.e put there on purpose. And I know you can't move trees.:D

Posters here shouldn't be made to feel lesser just because they highlight something they feel is dangerous.

Another note: The amount of work that Trav, Motor and Brownie have done out at the Youies is by fair the best in the country. It's well on the way to being the best MTB park in the country. I know that Motor & Brownie gave up their races seasons to build the new track.....thanks.

Last edited:

cheif

Likes Bikes
i guess they could be there (the rocks) to stop dudes making their own lines around the difficult sections. the youies is a vic park and i guess you cant have little side trails being made all over and around difficult sections, and even though they shouldnt be xc guys rock down that trail and if they cant go over sections or around them then it one less head ache for the trail crew. its not ideal but its better than no trails at all. its a new world kiddies....we just have to adapt.

if you have another idea on how to manage this siituation, im sure you can bring it up at the next dig day out there, the trail crew seem pretty laid back and open to ideas.

kill_switch

Dead-set Idiot
I have to agree with what Luke says here.

I don't think any is saying i's too hard to ride.

There is nothing dangerous with the obstacles that the Trail crew built out at the you yangs. What people forget and often over look is the run in and run outs of obstacles. Most are very safe, but there are sometimes a tree or very large rock in a position that it shouldn't be. (I'm not just talking youis here.) This is often made worse when it's man made. i.e put there on purpose. And I know you can't move trees.:D

Posters here shouldn't be made to feel lesser just because they highlight something they feel is dangerous.

Another note: The amount of work that Trav, Motor and Brownie have done out at the Youies is by fair the best in the country. It's well on the way to being the best MTB park in the country. I know that Motor & Brownie gave up their races seasons to build the new track.....thanks.
Thanks Hux, seem like you actually understand where im coming from.
I also agree with you about how people react to other peoples comments, Remember people i didnt just say dangerous, i know DH is dangerous, I said unnecessarily dangerous. Relax a little bit people, i was just giving my thoughts like the thread asked.

Also totally agree about the work thats been done. Prime job boys, best possible track for the hill.

BTW hux Its Brent not Luke;)

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think that the point of the rocks on the side of the are to help guide you in the right direction, lets remember that the bunting gets taken down at the end of the race...

we do it when building trails, we line sticks along the outside of the track so you know where you have to go when you screaming down a hill, especially when the trails just been cut.

i dont think they're causing any danger, the track is nice and wide, and theres stopping distance after obstacles. There were a few times when i had to stop for some one who got caught in a rockgarden in front of me and it wasnt a problem to slow down controlably.(sp?)

major props to the builders again.

AMBURGERS

Likes Bikes and Dirt
was an awsome race! it was a sick track that was heaps of fun and made you step it up a little to go fast! i also managed not to crash once over the whole weekend which is a first... elthough i came close to it on race run and qualifying, i also threw a sick super man over the last hip, totally meant it... :p

thanks heaps to the youyangs crew who put heaps of effort into the track and the event, it was awsome!

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry guys, I had read it as features on the lines we're causing people issues, not the rocks, trees and debris on the side of the trail.

There are a few obstacles placed in awkward positions, which can cause some grief if you come off the line, plenty of people came off the rock garden at Marshall Point 2 (rock garden with the drop into it), and ended up belting into the two boulders placed on the left side.

Same with the two boulders on the exit of the rock garden before the blind step-down.

While they are a bit of an issue, i'm sure the guys didn't put them there to piss people off. more to force people back onto the trail, rather than drifting wide and creating other lines. I've hot a couple of these myself, and it's not pretty when it happens... but I think it adds to the intensity.

motormtb

Likes Dirt
I'm not racing but i think the track lacks a few corners. It definitley favours those with alot of confidence.
The reason for the lack of corners is the fact that it is a small hill and we needed to make the most of what speed you can get.
Sick track, absolutely loved it. Although there are a few bits where rocks have been put in really stupid places and those steps are stupid, please tell me that they have a point.
The rocks in "really stupid places" are there to make people ride the feature as if you leave room for them to ride around it they will.You then end up with a track that is 4 metres wide(parks victoria don't like that) and a feature that is barely ridden.There is always going to be trees and rocks next to the track whether they are put there or they are already there.
Those steps are there to stop stupid people riding up the track.We have massive signs saying it is a one way track and not to push up there and people just ignore them.These signs cost a lot of money and this money could be better spent on trail maintenance.
My thoughs,
Unnecessarily dangerous.
Yes your not suppose to crash but its does happen and in my opinion that hasn't been taking into consideration when building the track.

This is the reason why i didnt race
Sorry you feel this way but there is quite easy b-lines and sometimes c-lines around every feature so it is only as dangerous as you want to make it.

First of all a congratulations on the first event held by YYMTB Club. Everything was awesome except the uncharged radios ;)
Hope kevin's ok and isn't in a too bad way. Good luck on a smooth recovery if you read this.

And Yes I did get 2:26.

I'll agree that is a bit too dangerous. For example the rocks on the side of the track that sitting there waiting for someone to hit them..... Is there a reason for them apart from showing where the track is?
The radio problem was due to some dodgey radios that for some reason did not hold there charge but we worked around that as best we could,it was out of our control.
As i have explain the rocks don't just show the track,they keep people from riding wherever they want.You spend enough time out there kizz I'm sure you have witnessed what people get up to out there.
Your mum was an awesome help on the weekend so thank her again for me.

over all it was a amazing event and a mint track to ride.

just a few things though, first that last jump, that up ramp is way too steep and kicky for that speed you are pulling into that, second those big pointy rocks that are sitting in the middle of the track after the blind step down i feel should be taken out. they have no purpuse but there to take out you rim. they dont make that track harder just slower and annoying.

other then that it was sick. really enjoyed it. bring on next year.
The last jump will be changed maybe bring the take off back towards the doubles a little and make it a little more mellow.Browny was a little out when he did(no offence Browny)it but it was to late to change it by the time we we were able to ride it and realized.
The rocks you speak of were already there and are easily avoided.If we moved every rock in the middle of the track we may aswell be riding on the footpath.

Yer thats what i mainly talking about, There are a few places where i think some of those rock wouldent hurt to be moved, its not like moving them will open up quicker lines, just make it safer. Surly theres nothing wrong with that.

I never said easier, the track in fine the way it is and is a massive improvement over the old race track, Also Buller and Barjarg will always be some of the harder track in VIC but they also dont have strategically placed giant rocks just off the side of the track that could easily be moved.

The thread asked for my though and i gave them, Im just saying i would rather see someone limp home with bad gravel rash because he stack in the middle rock garden rather than get stretchered out because his arm isn broken in 3 places after hitting a big rock.

Yes its a dangerous sport and thats the risk we take riding DH, but because we all chose to take this risk doesnt mean that event organisers shouldn't take safety into consideration. People do crash you know.
The track has been approved by two commissars and Tony Scott was there and as far as i'm aware his only issue was with a couple of trees and we did what we could to fix this besides chopping trees down as that would be an environmental issue.
Appreciate your feed back and I hope I have explained why stuff not only is done but has to be done.

My Two Cents
We are out there just about every weekend working with parks victoria and building/maintaining trails.We choose to do this I know and I'm not complaining,but you should thank your lucky stars you get to ride your bikes and these trails as we rarely do.
Rocks are not placed there to cause accidents or make it more dangerous it is to stop idiots making there own lines around obstacles.When people wear these new lines in riders see this and think that there is a line there so they then ride it and it just gets worse and worse.Also this just creates more work for us as we have to go back and repair the damage.If we could put giant marshmallows there that can't be moved we would but we have not been able to source any as yet.If people did the right thing and rode the trails that they are capable of riding and did not ride around obstacles this would not be necessary.
If you guys could see the stuff that we see all the time when we are out there,such as:
-Cutting from one track to another just because they can't be arsed riding to the end of the track.
-Clearly ignoring signs and riding or pushing up the one way downhill tracks.
-Riding around features where there is no track because it is above your capability.
-Unnecessary skidding due to people riding tracks above there capabilities and freaking out when ever they come towards any rock or drop.
So next time anybody thinks about doing this or you see somebody doing this think about the ramifications and maybe take the appropriate action to help prevent it from happening.
It baffles me how when bandages and glory was made everybody complained that it lacked flow and was to slow,we tried to rectify that when building this track and it seems we have(as Reese averaged @ 45 kmh)and people now complain that there is rocks and it is dangerous.Maybe we should clear the trees and rocks and just concrete in a footpath.
We are lucky to have the You Yangs mtb facilities and rangers that are a pleasure to work with and want to develop the place into Victorias/Australias best mtb venue.If everyone appreciated and respect the situation that we have at the You Yangs by obeying the rules (that are easily read on massive signs at all mtb carparks)and obeying the signs easily visible around the park we would not have to do the things that we do.
If you can't ride the trail from start to finish go ride an easier trail that you can,for your benefit and ours.
Thanks for your feedback and a good weekend.

Motor

Staunch

Eats Squid
I can understand what everyone's saying about the "Dangerous rocks" but they do have a point like motor explained. Do you want the trail builders to replace them with pillows?
Yes, I know, you do crash sometimes, but on other tracks you'd be hitting trees, so do you want the trail builders to cut down all the trees from the sides of all the VDHS tracks too?
And yeah, the rocks are put there, but on other trails the track is built through the trees, pretty much the same thing.......
Tree or rocks, they both hurt, the aim is not to hit them ;)

Anyway, just want to thank Trav, Browny, Motor and all the Youies boys for the brilliant effort, lots of hours of hard work and you own time went into this track and I know heaps of us really appreciate it :)

Mr King

Likes Dirt
So, who would i contact to swap over my prizes for ones that fit me?(u/15)
If that's possible of course.
You would have received 1 Pair of Troy Lee Designs Elbow Guards in Medium, 1 Pair of Troy Lee Designs Grand Prix Air Gloves in Small and a pair of Kona socks...Is this correct? Total value around $120 - not bad for a second prize in under 15's

I try to sort all of the prizes and match typical body sizes for category prizes. Masters typically get L-XL, 13's and 15's get S-M and all others get M-L sizes. One rider wanted to swap his RJays Helmet that he won which would of fitted him but he wanted to give it to his partner. I can't tell what size people are and what they are going to do with their prizes. If you bring them to the presentation day at Long Gully I may be able to change the sizes for you, but if you are not to bothered you could always swap with your mates or sell them! Up to you...

aceyone

Likes Dirt
The reason for the lack of corners is the fact that it is a small hill and we needed to make the most of what speed you can get.

The rocks in "really stupid places" are there to make people ride the...

[Big edit-snip here... no disrespect intended and no less relevant -- aceyone]

...We are lucky to have the You Yangs mtb facilities and rangers that are a pleasure to work with and want to develop the place into Victorias/Australias best mtb venue.If everyone appreciated and respect the situation that we have at the You Yangs by obeying the rules (that are easily read on massive signs at all mtb carparks)and obeying the signs easily visible around the park we would not have to do the things that we do.
If you can't ride the trail from start to finish go ride an easier trail that you can,for your benefit and ours.
Thanks for your feedback and a good weekend.

Motor
Agree with all you said, Motor -- *seriously* good job on that track to you and the rest of the crew. I cartainly appreciate all the time you guys have put into it and I really hope you're proud of what you've done because you *should* be. It's held up to the traffic of a Vic-Series round like no other (No braking bumps are an indicator of a track that really flows). I had an absolute ball all w/e. My favourite round of the series by far (EDIT: no disrespect to other tracks and other rounds, intended -- I liked them all and certainly appreciate there has been a huge amount of time put into other rounds and other tracks... but I did like this one the most). Thank-you to the trail crew, event crew and volunteers.

Last edited:

scottlikesbeer

Likes Dirt
YouYangs Track

Hi guys,

Can anyone point me to a link that shows the start of this track and where I can park if I want to go and find it!

Is it possible to do pushing runs on it?

I have just moved down here from Sydney after a stint in the UK and have a new bike, don't know where to ride decent DH around here apart from up at Mt Beauty.

Any help would be great, or if anyone is doing runs anywhere just let me know, i'm more than happy to drive and chip in for fuel!

Cheers,

Scott

Samy

Likes Dirt
Hi guys,

Can anyone point me to a link that shows the start of this track and where I can park if I want to go and find it!

Is it possible to do pushing runs on it?

I have just moved down here from Sydney after a stint in the UK and have a new bike, don't know where to ride decent DH around here apart from up at Mt Beauty.

Any help would be great, or if anyone is doing runs anywhere just let me know, i'm more than happy to drive and chip in for fuel!

Cheers,

Scott
http://www.youyangsmtbinc.com.au/maps.html

It's the black one in the Stockyards area. You can do push runs also.

Jimass

Eats Squid
Thanks mr king! I'll try to make it to presentation but no guarantees.
And again, i think that you guys have done the best you can with that hill and i for one will be coming back to every ride day!

patto_15

Wheel size expert
Qualifying runs weeded out those with no dance floor moves, who wear tight jeans and love listing to Justin Bebier, this track was all about flow and style.
Come on now guys.. There's nothing wrong with that! I managed to get down the hill alright =]

Timmy!!!

Likes Dirt
As a XC wanker and volunteer marshal, I can only give my highest praise to the track builders for putting in such an incredible amount of thought and work for this trail. Second only to the track builders must be the riders: I spent 7 hours on the Saturday watching you. We are fortunate indeed to have so many skilled and enthusiastic riders taking advantage of this fantastic facility. It gave me a kick just to watch some of your moves: nice work!

Most of all, though, thanks to the YYMTB Club for making such an excellent job of building and running an awesome event. Those guys don't get paid for what they do, and yet they do a better job than any professional I have ever met.

digby69

Likes Bikes
What a weekend

To the trail builders, race organisers, volunteers & anyone
who contributed to an excellent weekend & great track,

THANK YOU!!!!