Thread expired. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

d_j1

Likes Dirt
I was disappointed at the riders that bailed (some not even doing one run on Sunday) when it started raining. What a great rep for downhilling. Come get an amazing adrenalin rush and great exercise...but not when it's raining 'cause our $5000-9000 bikes will get muddy and I might slip over.

Sooks. If you don't like rain, don't ride a bike outdoors.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
A bit of paper and 190 worth of festival pass.

Yeah I would have liked to give out more prizes but simple fact was we ran the vent without a major sponsor.

Blackmans most generously came on board with tech support and prizes for U15 and U17s but for some reason I was unable to get any other sponsors on board, and not for the lack of trying.

The newtons Promoter put up the cash for elites but as a club without a major sponsor we needed 170 riders to break even. We got 120 riders. Do the maths. we lost a crap load of money for a small club but did the best we could.

Big thanks to C & W Printing for doing the certificates for us, Sorry if you feel let down.

I had an awesome time

Last edited:

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The newtons Promoter put up the cash for elites but as a club without a major sponsor we needed 170 riders to break even. We got 120 riders. Do the maths. we lost a crap load of money for a small club but did the best we could.
We had a similar problem at our club when we held the QLD State Titles. We had a poor response from riders and had lots of trouble covering costs. The track was great and the event was very well run, so it was a great shame for guys that put in all the hard work.

Not much incentive for clubs to put their heads on the chopping block if riders don't support events.

Then to rub the salt in, people want to bitch. People should walk a mile in the host clubs shoes, and see if that changes their perspective.

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
For fuck sake mate, this thread has to be a joke, right?
If you truly loved getting out and riding your bike, you wouldn't be concerned for the material benefit you gain from it, it's the rush, the adrenaline, the feeling of pure fun that you experience that should matter, not the prize you receive from the event.

WORD.

Morgan123

Likes Dirt
If you truly loved getting out and riding your bike, you wouldn't be concerned for the material benefit you gain from it, it's the rush, the adrenaline, the feeling of pure fun that you experience that should matter, not the prize you receive from the event.

WORD.
Settle down mate, we're talking about his kid here mate, self satisfaction doesn't always do it for a *insert youth age*. He asked a reasonable question and got a more then reasonable answer, probably a good thing getting out that with low numbers clubs take a big hit.

CGR

Likes Dirt
To run a successful event you have to know what your target audience will want/like and acknowledge what's worth the cost/effort and what's not; sadly the weather is difficult to account for and predict.

WORD.
If you truly loved riding your bike you'll ride it how you want to, and where you want to, if that's in an event like this or not is your choice.
But something like this that's been around 2 years now (?) i would have expected to be developing some formula/standard for how its run. Lay the foundations to build the house, or in this case; attract the punters and the sponsors.

Criticism like this should feed into the event and make it better for next year.

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
Does anyone else think it was a bit piss weak that for winning anything other than elite all you got was a shitty piece of paper?

No medal for me to give my kid?
Settle down mate, we're talking about his kid here mate, self satisfaction doesn't always do it for a *insert youth age*. He asked a reasonable question and got a more then reasonable answer, probably a good thing getting out that with low numbers clubs take a big hit.
He's got a "shitty piece of paper" to give to his kid.
To be honest, I am a long way of having kids, but riding is something that you should be doing for YOUR enjoyment and benefit, not your child's.
Maybe you can take some father/child time to teach them how to read what it says on the "shitty piece of paper".

T-Rex

Template denier
Does anyone else think it was a bit piss weak that for winning anything other than elite all you got was a shitty piece of paper?

No medal for me to give my kid?
Did your kid have fun?

Put the "shitty piece of paper" in a frame and hang it on his wall. That's what I'll be doing.

It's a bit different from the usual medals. I think you will find it will look pretty good.

thecat

But something like this that's been around 2 years now (?) i would have expected to be developing some formula/standard for how its run. Lay the foundations to build the house, or in this case; attract the punters and the sponsors.

Criticism like this should feed into the event and make it better for next year.
Happy to take criticism when it's constructive.

in 2008 we were invited along to the original Newtons Playground but didn't have much room so could only do a DS. It was good but not what people want, our club has a rep for running good DH races so thats what we aimed at this time around.

It was a big effort to get permission to use that bit of land.

Lay the foundations? We've had some of the biggest attended state races in NSW. I really thought this kind of event would pull that sort of crowd. It didn't, We took a hit.

As I said I chased quiet a few sponsors but was unable to get any to sign on.
Why? I don't know every time we do an event our sponsors praise us and say they are keen to be involved in the next one, I guess things are tight just now.

Blackmans actually approached me and originally came on board to do tech support and donate prizes to U15. They had such a good time they added u17s in as well at the last minute as we were setting up the podium.

Massive thanks to Nathan and the Blackmans crew.

At 200 riders I was fully prepared to by prizes, whether goods or medals, for other categories. A 120 riders we stand to loose a fair chunk of money already and C & W printing generously donated us the certificates.

Sorry if people don't think that is good enough but I hope you understand why we couldn't do more and enjoyed the rest of the event enough to come back next time

Last edited:

spyderman_au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A bit of paper and 190 worth of festival pass.

Yeah I would have liked to give out more prizes but simple fact was we ran the vent without a major sponsor.

Blackmans most generously came on board with tech support and prizes for U15 and U17s but for some reason I was unable to get any other sponsors on board, and not for the lack of trying.

Big thanks to C & W Printing for doing the certificates for us, Sorry if you feel let down.

I had an awesome time
Cat, I had a great time, don't get me wrong. The track was great, the event was held flawlessly and I want to do it again next year too.

All I am saying is that out of the thounsands of dollars Newtons put up a few dollars could have gone towards a few trinketty medals? I am not after making money out of it or massive amounts of prizes. I really do ride for the enjoyment factor.

I only posted this thread as some constructive criticism and food for thought for next year. I was in no way criticising the club for running it. Big props to the guys!!!!!

We had a similar problem at our club when we held the QLD State Titles. We had a poor response from riders and had lots of trouble covering costs. The track was great and the event was very well run, so it was a great shame for guys that put in all the hard work.

Not much incentive for clubs to put their heads on the chopping block if riders don't support events.

Then to rub the salt in, people want to bitch. People should walk a mile in the host clubs shoes, and see if that changes their perspective.
See above reply.

WORD.
Word? What word? Tye, I do ride for the fun!! I just believe that out of the major prize money a few dollars could have used for a few medals or small trophey? A momento of the event.

Happy to take criticism when it's constructive.

in 2008 we were invited along to the original Newtons Playground but didn't have much room so could only do a DS. It was good but not what people want, our club has a rep for running good DH races so thats what we aimed at this time around.

It was a big effort to get permission to use that bit of land.

Lay the foundations? We've had some of the biggest attended state races in NSW. I really thought this kind of event would pull that sort of crowd. It didn't, We took a hit.

As I said I chased quiet a few sponsors but was unable to get any to sign on.
Why? I don't know every time we do an event our sponsors praise us and say they are keen to be involved in the next one, I guess things are tight just now.

Blackmans actually approached me and originally came on board to do tech support and donate prizes to U15. They had such a good time they added u17s in as well at the last minute as we were setting up the podium.

Massive thanks to Nathan and the Blackmans crew.

At 200 riders I was fully prepared to by prizes, whether goods or medals, for other categories. A 120 riders we stand to loose a fair chunk of money already and C & W printing generously donated us the certificates.

Sorry if people don't think that is good enough but I hope you understand why we couldn't do more and enjoyed the rest of the event enough to come back next time
I will be back again and understand that you guys took a hit. I can't talk about anyone else, but, cost is not really that much of an issue with racing. The entry fee is only a small portion of the whole cost and I would be happy to pay a little more in the future.

I am sure if held again the event will attract more entrants.

A big thank you to Blackman cycles and C & W Printing for the certificates.

For everyone who thinks I am just pissing and moaning, fair enough, but I really do think the final winners would have been happy with a little less if it meant the class winners had a tiny percentage spent on them.........

Steve

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I will be back again and understand that you guys took a hit. I can't talk about anyone else, but, cost is not really that much of an issue with racing. The entry fee is only a small portion of the whole cost and I would be happy to pay a little more in the future.

I am sure if held again the event will attract more entrants.

A big thank you to Blackman cycles and C & W Printing for the certificates.

For everyone who thinks I am just pissing and moaning, fair enough, but I really do think the final winners would have been happy with a little less if it meant the class winners had a tiny percentage spent on them.........

Steve
Well said and spot on!

thecat

Steve
It a fair cop and I'm happy to take it on onboard. So long as it doesn't become the focus of the after event talk and drown out the good stuff that happened

the money newtons put forward was to go to cash prizes for elite.
I tried to get around that with the open categorie dash for cash, not ideal but it did get 1 u19 into the money.

By the time we realised that we were not going to get the numbers we needed to do other prizes it was a bit late to change the already advertised prize pool, In fact the cheques were made out directly to the winners and presented on the day so the club didn't have access to the funds anyway.

The Newtons guys also reserve the rights to get their own naming right sponsors to the different events at the festival. They were able to get good coin for BMx, Skating and even scooters. They got a big fat 0 for mtb. That they were still willing to throw $5k at us and fly Sam out for the event is very much appreciated

Last edited:

spyderman_au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It a fair cop and I'm happy to take it on onboard. So long as it doesn't become the focus of the after event talk and drown out the good stuff that happened

the money newtons put forward was to go to cash prizes for elite.
I tried to get around that with the open categorie dash for cash, not ideal but it did get 1 u19 into the money.

By the time we realised that we were not going to get the numbers we needed to do other prizes it was a bit late to change the already advertised prize pool, In fact the cheques were made out directly to the winners and presented on the day so the club didn't have access to the funds anyway.

The Newtons guys also reserve the rights to get their own naming right sponsors to the different events at the festival. They were able to get good coin for BMx, Skating and even scooters. They got a big fat 0 for mtb. That they were still willing to throw $5k at us and fly Sam out for the event is very much appreciated
Thanks for listening.

All in all the event was awesome!!!

See you next year if it is on again. :)

thecat

On the note of sponsorship, the industry is over stretched. There is barely a weekend left that there isn't atleast 1 big event, some times 2 or 3 across the different disciplines, and to be honest if it's a choice of sponsoring a DH race that potentially attracts 200 riders, most of whom are already right into it and have their favourite brands sorted and a marathon that attracts 1000 riders most of whom are fairly new to the sport and open to influence I know where I'd put my money.

Yet we are failing to attract outside investment. As I said newtons got good coin for the other sports on offer. I know how much they sold the naming rights to the DS we did in 2008 and it still blows me away. Yet for some reason MTB just doesn't attract much interest outside our own industry, despite the figures out on how many get sold each year

So, if anyone out there has a background in marketing or what ever and thinks they'd be able to lend us a hand seeking a broader range of sponsors I'm sure your local club would be over the moon if you offered to help out.

Last edited:

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
Word? What word? Tye, I do ride for the fun!! I just believe that out of the major prize money a few dollars could have used for a few medals or small trophey? A momento of the event.
So as T-Rex said, you got a cerfiticate, what's wrong with that?
Put it into a nice frame, mount it behind your bar, in your living room, as you walk into your household?
I just can't comprehend what's wrong with a certificate? It still says that you came first/your place, right?

As for the event, it's one of the best organised that I've attended. The track was a little shitty at first, but once it wore in it was pretty fun and different to ride. The whole festival was pretty sweet in general, would've been great to attract a larger non-competitor audience, but even so, I was still surprised at the amount of spectators.

Consideing how good the event was from a competitor's, and filmer's point of view, I'd say it was good enough to not really be too concerned about the prizes that came with it.

pinkgoat

Likes Dirt
So as T-Rex said, you got a cerfiticate, what's wrong with that?
Put it into a nice frame, mount it behind your bar, in your living room, as you walk into your household?
I just can't comprehend what's wrong with a certificate? It still says that you came first/your place, right?

As for the event, it's one of the best organised that I've attended. The track was a little shitty at first, but once it wore in it was pretty fun and different to ride. The whole festival was pretty sweet in general, would've been great to attract a larger non-competitor audience, but even so, I was still surprised at the amount of spectators.

Consideing how good the event was from a competitor's, and filmer's point of view, I'd say it was good enough to not really be too concerned about the prizes that came with it.
Are you kidding? It was a major event, with substantial financial backing, and some serious coin up for grabs. Most people probably spent a few hundred dollars, if not more to get out there (but i'll bet your mummy paid for that).

A piece of paper saying 'cool, you won!' for a junior winner is pretty piss poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.