Thredbo - all you need to know

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
spyderman_au said:
:mad: Other than the instruction on how to use the lift the initiation is a waste of 4.25 hours if you are unlucky, like I was last weekend.

Get out of it at all costs. Waste of more than half your lift ticket. :mad:

;)
depends who you get as guide. i had.. i forget, but he was heaps good. we got showed all the lines etc. properly and if you show that you're competent enough, they will sometimes just say go on and ride yourself (apparently) but yeah, with a good guide well worth it

leight

Likes Bikes
Last edited:

leight

Likes Bikes
yeah, definately worth following up, because if its correct, at $199, they are pricing themselves way out of the competition. Considering what you get at buller for $35.

spam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
dh

i'm 13 and was heading down this weekend for 4 days starting friday to try out my new downhill bike and i was using my lake jump bike on our jumps and got sick air flipped and dislocated my collar bone and broke a rib( realy farkin annoying )

MATTY R

Likes Dirt
just a quick question about spectators on race weekends,

do they need a lift pass to get up to watch, or can you walk up?

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
MATTY R said:
just a quick question about spectators on race weekends,

do they need a lift pass to get up to watch, or can you walk up?
you can just walk up the hill as far as i know

EDIT: finally resolved the price issue... the 199 is for initiation + gear hire. changed in original post.

Last edited:

demo man

Used to be cool.
another correction - the lift closes at 4 pm not 6!

and at the top of the track (straight out of the fire road) there are 2 tracks you can take. there is the old one which veers to the left about 5 metres into the single track, it's hard to see if your not looking for it. that track is my favourite, with a few nice jumps, a bridge over a river which is really cool, some little drops leading into tight corners, and some fast sweepig corners. or the new track (new early 2005/very late 2004), that is the track that is raced on (i think this is the one you were talking about).

the track also splits down the bottom at two places, one takes you to Friday flat, this track is mostly fireroad, but it is good fireroad (dirt not gravel) and you can get up to some serious speeds. the other turns off about 4/5ths of the way down and turns nto a almost XC track, about 80% downhill, and lots of fun.

as for pricing, RawNRG are crap. if you live near by or visit regualy you can often swing a season pass for a few hundred.

Cheers,
Sam

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
Went to Thredbo on Friday another awesome day.
The course is in good nick and the staff are continuing to do work on the track (some sections were closed) for the state round. For anyone going for the first time be prepared for the arm pump and take regular rests, the worst thing in the world is to run out of arm power in the rougher lower sections. In four visits to Thredbo on my kona stinky the only part that I have ever busted was a seat post so take the spares becuase you never know what might break.

Lift ticket was $69 for the day. The initiation was $99 with your own bike for first timers.

Cheers

Last edited:

brim

Squid
Just spent the weekend down there too. The lower part of the track has recently been changed as Thredbo are moving a lift tower (or something). As you head across after Magnetic Rock, you take a left alongside the trees intead of heading through the trees to the "Tower 10 Switchbacks".

This puts you on a fast, grassy, off camber long LH bend before some new switchbacks, then heads back across to pick up the end of the normal track before it enters the final tree section.

The new line had only just opened, so the track hasn't really bedded in yet - so some of it is pretty loose and loamy.

According to raw nrg, it is staying like this for the rest of the season.

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
Bugger! those were the best set of corners ever! aah well, fast and off camber is always fun! gonna have to get in more than 2 practice runs i reckon!

Rik

logged out
donthucktoflat said:
Bugger! those were the best set of corners ever!
I'd say they had to be my favourite corners too... coming in to there with arm pump starting to set in, lean the bike right over and hope you don't die. I've hit the padding on the first lefthander there a few too many times, but that's part of the fun.

R33F

Likes Bikes and Dirt
re : Thredbo

cheers donthucktoflat,
informative... and appreciated.
where is the induction held ?? at the base of the mountain i am guessing ??

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
it starts down the bottom, then you go to the chairlift then one (long with lots of stops) run donw the mountain, then free-riding the rest f the day

Harder Nox

Likes Dirt
I strapped my video camera to my helmet at Interschools and did a run, i'll try and get it posted up here in the coming week!

Camikaze

Likes Bikes
The best thread I've scoured all morning... the guys at work and I have been discussing Thredbo for some time. Thanks for the info guys

awsome guide but you should warn peopla about how much pain your in for the following week. I coudnt clench my hands for days and my arms felt like they had been punched numerous times. Does any one know a cure for trail shocked hands as mine havent been they same since the state round.