Thredbo - all you need to know

jonozrx

Likes Dirt
I've seen someone race the DH (and put down decent times) on a Focus SAM, so it's definitely rideable on a bike like that. If you find the top section (snakes and ladders) is too rough you can always skip it on the flow track and then re-join the DH further down.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I'm looking at possibly heading here in the middle of the first week of January for a couple of days. I can only fit one bike in the car & I'm not sure whether to take the 6" AM bike or take the Downhill rig. Is there enough DH to keep me entertained for a couple of days on the pure DH rig or would I be better off taking the AM rig which is pretty slack and burly anyways?
DH bike is more fun IMO. If for no other reason, they're pretty long runs.
Most people who don't take a DH bike end up hiring one there after a few runs on their whatever they thought would cut it bike(non DH).
Yes a good 6" bike will do it, but you won't be as fast and will get tired quicker.
In one day most people only average about 8 runs.

Last edited:

riderseventy7

Likes Dirt
Yeah, I reckon a DH bike is more fun to take on the Flow trail than a 6" bike is to take on the Downhill track. Your forearms would appreciate a DH bike more as well.

Yeti Dan

Likes Dirt
I'm heading down there this weekend for the frist time so should be awesome. We've organised the lift/DH rig package.

How are the rental bikes in terms of quality? I heard they were Giant Glory 2s? How are the pedal grips on the rental bikes and can you bring your own pedals?

Is it still fairly cold over the Summer? The forecast is saying it's only 12-13 degrees and wondering if I'll be freezing on the lifts up.

Would love to hear any other tips for a first timer (to Thredbo) :)

Dazool

Likes Bikes
Dan, it can get bloody cold up there (especially on the lift) even in Summer. Take some warm gear with you in case the weather turns.

The rental bikes are generally well maintained as you should expect when liability issues could arise.

Ring them and ask about your pedals.

It's a great place to ride and you should have a ball.

Cheers.

Alex Dlugosch

Likes Dirt
Does anyone know how wide the racks on the chairs are? I wanna take my fatbike up there (Mukluk 2 with Bluto) and its got 3.8" tyres, so basically 100 mm wide rubber. Think it'd fit or would I have to put it on my lap like before the racks?

Yeti Dan

Likes Dirt
Dan, it can get bloody cold up there (especially on the lift) even in Summer. Take some warm gear with you in case the weather turns.

The rental bikes are generally well maintained as you should expect when liability issues could arise.

Ring them and ask about your pedals.

It's a great place to ride and you should have a ball.

Cheers.
Thanks mate. I thought that may have been the case.

stickso

Likes Dirt
Heading down to Thredbo next Friday and the weather forecast is much colder than I thought it would be. What's the tip for clothing/layers to not burn up on the way down or freeze on the chair?

Yeti Dan

Likes Dirt
Stickso - I was freezing on the Sat. It's definitely fresh up there and the gusts can make it really cold. However, the body armour kept me pretty warm and I ended up just wearing a tee. I would still pack a windbreaker just in case, but after one run I ended up taking it off. We had temps of 12-13 degrees.

stickso

Likes Dirt
Stickso - I was freezing on the Sat. It's definitely fresh up there and the gusts can make it really cold. However, the body armour kept me pretty warm and I ended up just wearing a tee. I would still pack a windbreaker just in case, but after one run I ended up taking it off. We had temps of 12-13 degrees.
Good to know - thanks. It's the wind that concerns me and I'm a skinny prick so have no insulation!

Yep, I and 2 friends are heading down too. Can't wait, hope the weather holds!
Same! Sydney's been great the last 2 days despite forecasts of rain so hoping the weatherman has it arse about for Thredbo too.

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Headed down on my 29er hard tail a few weeks ago. Managed 20 Flow runs in 2 days, though my arms were pretty toasted for the drive home....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS7r98Zdfh0

Had an absolute ball though, might head back in March for another go!
Damn.. we did 16 across 3 days, did trip out to crackenback and return though one arvo..
Save your trip till next summer when the new AM trail is finished too

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
I'm heading down to Thredbo in April with some mates for some mostly flow trail riding.

From what I've read here, full face helmets aren't required on the flow trail, but would it still be a good idea? If not a FF, I'd be using a 661 Recon, so it's got some extra back-of-head protection anyway. Other than that, I'd be riding with knee & shin pads as well as a camelback. Same question on the pressure suit - overkill for flow or a must have?

As for bikes, I intend to be riding my Blur TRc most of the time. It's a pretty rugged set-up with M810's & 180/203 rotors, 1x10 with Zee on the rear & Stans Flow-Ex for rims. I expect it won't be as quick or stable as a DH bike just due to geometry, but should be perfectly capable for the flow trail I imagine? I'll probably rent a bike for 1 day or something, just to get a feel for a DH, but like mine too much to leave it behind.

I know this is all a bit subjective & depends on the individual, but was just hoping for a few other peoples opinions to give me a bit of an idea on what to expect.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm heading down to Thredbo in April with some mates for some mostly flow trail riding.

From what I've read here, full face helmets aren't required on the flow trail, but would it still be a good idea? If not a FF, I'd be using a 661 Recon, so it's got some extra back-of-head protection anyway. Other than that, I'd be riding with knee & shin pads as well as a camelback. Same question on the pressure suit - overkill for flow or a must have?

As for bikes, I intend to be riding my Blur TRc most of the time. It's a pretty rugged set-up with M810's & 180/203 rotors, 1x10 with Zee on the rear & Stans Flow-Ex for rims. I expect it won't be as quick or stable as a DH bike just due to geometry, but should be perfectly capable for the flow trail I imagine? I'll probably rent a bike for 1 day or something, just to get a feel for a DH, but like mine too much to leave it behind.

I know this is all a bit subjective & depends on the individual, but was just hoping for a few other peoples opinions to give me a bit of an idea on what to expect.
Good idea to wear your full face + protection, even for the flow trail. Not overkill I'd say sensible! Given this time of year the extra gear will keep you warm on the ride up the chair!

Your bike will be fine for the flow trail, If you hire a DH bike make the most of it and hit the DH track!

Don't worry too much, just have fun!

stickso

Likes Dirt
There's no downside to wearing a FF and full padding at Thredbo so go for it. Good for confidence too.

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I ran a tld a1 helmet, no extra protection and did 16 runs in 3 days on the flow trail. Going plenty fast.
Next time I will take knee pads and elbow pads for more fasts.

We had a few with us who hired the DH bikes but only rode the flow trail, looked like they were doing it real tough man handling the big bikes

Heading back down in April for the rollercoaster, can't wait!