Thredbo - all you need to know

bogada

Likes Dirt
Has anyone got any pics of that new section or know where to find em??

I wouldn't mind havin a look as i was down there for nats last year and wanna see what the new bit looks like.

Loved that old section and Rik i know that padding on the lefthander.... I also gave it a little shoulder tap on the way through.

Does the new track turn off after or before the switchbacks in the trees that seem to be in the middle of nowhere?

mr bump

Squid
sweet post. thats the most detail i have found so far but im still trying to find out if the lifts are open around new years. i want to go about a week after christmas but short of ringing them up i cant find any more info. does anyone know when theyre open or know of someone that does. any info is much appreciated.
thanks

demo man

Used to be cool.
the litt is open all summer.
the large one gets shut down for about 2-3 weeks to have it's annual service in the later months of the year, but there is a replacement lift that runs that goes to nearly the top of tha track.

while you are there all sytmems will be go - lots of families go for a scenic christmas so Thredbio always makes sure they are right by then.

enjoy.

demo man

Used to be cool.
bodga - the new section that will be built for the national champs isn't built yet - there are shitloads of skiers on the mtn at the moment - it kind of hinders the building proccess.
when it is made it will be very obvious - it will connect to the current track and be way hard. the plans for where the new section will go, were last i heard, top take out the BunnyWalk section (middle rock garden) and keep the track on the opposite side of the chairlift to bunnywalk. but that may have/may well change.

and snake - you better be joking. search and you will find that 50,000,000 people have asked that before and the answer is ALWAYS YES!

roasted

Likes Bikes and Dirt
new section comes from the bottom of snakes and ladders, and continues in a similar vein to the bottom. will not cross under the chairlift. hopefully the old track will still be able to be ridden, i sometimes long for some fast openness.

apparently the switchbacks will be back. I can only hope that the two old, rutted out, fast as f*ck corners leading into the section are back in as well.

demo man

Used to be cool.
yes.

Glen Jacobs helped design it, it will be on Friday flat, i saw a preliminary design of it, and it looked really good, some very innovative ideas. some really cool stuff in there i haven't ever seen before.

it will be sweet, fast and big with some tech thrown in.

demo man

Used to be cool.
oh yes, the new section of DH track will be called "the snake pit" - it is going to be a very hard race bred section, designed for advanced riders and made to rival Buller's trails.

and this track will also be built with the help of some big name builders...

ScottD

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am planning on racing at interschools this february. Do I have to do the iniciation on the friday or thursday before saturday practice? or can we just get a lifty to show us how to use the chair lift......

roasted

Likes Bikes and Dirt
initiation is included on the friday i think. just involves getting a lift up with an instructor and getting ridden down again, pretty simple. there will be a guy with a megaphone organising all that shit as part of the lift queue.

edit- on the saturday as well, but most people come up on the friday for 4x.

Last edited:

Registered Nutcase

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i never did that, on the friday you can just go up the chairlift is incredibly simple, if you can pick your bike up you can do it.

blake

mr bump

Squid
thanks for the info. ill take helmet cam along and when i get back ill post some of the runs if i can figure out how to. my last clip from toowoomba is 33.8mb but i dont know how to post it. any ideas? its a windows media file

Jacko96

Likes Bikes
Interschools

As some of you may know, 2006 Interschools MTB champs are at Thredbo,
I have been riding for about 8 months on serious trail rides around my local ... tried afew DH tracks and am looking forward to racing at interschools. I will have my AC by then. How do you think I will go ? Get absolutely snapped or go alright ? I am 15 years old

Rik

logged out
Jacko96 said:
How do you think I will go?
There are some damn fast kids about, but who really cares about your result as long as you try your best and have fun doing so.

demo man

Used to be cool.
Amen to that brother Rik!

and even if it was important, it is basically impossible to tell someone how they will go for their first race.
just go out with a good attitude and a big smile, you'll have a great time and come back with the sore-est arms you have ever had.

ruthlessgirl

token forum girl
Hey you'll be alright. Interschools isn't like state round or national rounds in that it's all about getting younger people to ride & try new styles of riding. There are tons of XC'ers that show up & try DH & vice-versa. A lot of people compete in all 3 events to try and win the King/Queen of the Mountain title. You don't have to be 1st in all to get it either. But ya primarily we're jsut trying to get more kids to ride & while there are some fast kids there are a lot more who are brand new.

LV10

Likes Bikes
Thredbo - opening weekend ride report

Just got back from Thredbo, opening weekend was great, if not a little quiet.

Track looks good. New sections across grass at bottom (before last tree section at finish) starting to bed in. A little rain would be nice for some tackiness - and to keep the pollen down.

Track mods imminent so may be different next time I go down, I think in the section after Magnetic Rock?? Not sure.

Maintenance on main chairlift means two weeks of riding Snowgums to the top. 17 mins of sunbaking per run. Take a hat or keep your helmet on.

Mmmmmm.....Heineken on Tap.

Thredbo rocks!

Ride on.

LV10

SKT

Likes Dirt
I'm a little confused about the entry fees for the upcoming races at Thredbo 05/06 ie. Nat Rnd 3 Dec. 16-18 and the Nationals January 19-22nd.

I read at Raw NRG that for the Nationals in January, a 3 day entry, 4x+DH is $145. Seems a bit steep if you only want to race DH. And pretty steep if your only racing 4x too.
But I cant find anything on the entry fee for the Nat Rnd3. I thought it was $99.

Anyone got any confirmatory info on the entry fee for Dec 16-18th and the 4x+DH race fee situation ???

Am I the only that thinks thats a little unfair mostly for the 4x-ers really (I will be DHing), or am I missing the complexity and hugeness of the logistics and management required to run such event, thus justifying this one-price-for-all approach???

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
SKT said:
I'm a little confused about the entry fees for the upcoming races at Thredbo 05/06 ie. Nat Rnd 3 Dec. 16-18 and the Nationals January 19-22nd.

I read at Raw NRG that for the Nationals in January, a 3 day entry, 4x+DH is $145. Seems a bit steep if you only want to race DH. And pretty steep if your only racing 4x too.
But I cant find anything on the entry fee for the Nat Rnd3. I thought it was $99.

Anyone got any confirmatory info on the entry fee for Dec 16-18th and the 4x+DH race fee situation ???

Am I the only that thinks thats a little unfair mostly for the 4x-ers really (I will be DHing), or am I missing the complexity and hugeness of the logistics and management required to run such event, thus justifying this one-price-for-all approach???

i reckon if you race only 4X then you have a pretty poor outlook on life. however, you can still go up and down the lift to take piccies etc.. of course, you could just suck it up and race....

try giving RawNrg a call and ask them if they can do you a special dealio. sweet:cool: