Thredbo New All Mountain Trail

DJR

Likes Dirt
Also there's what seems to be a new blurb on the Thredbo website

All-Mountain Trail
The latest and greatest in Thredbo’s expanding trail network. The new Thredbo All-Mountain Trail head is at the peak of Gunbarrel Express Chairlift. It promises unrivalled views down the Thredbo Valley towards Jindabyne. The descent takes you through the Cruiser ski area, winding down the slopes you negotiate flowing switchbacks, smooth rollers, boulder rides and some fast downhill sections.

Then you are into impressive tall eucalypt forest, then onto open snowgrass fields and High Noon slopes. The All-Mountain trail provides some of the best flowing single-track on offer in Thredbo. Although not as steep and technical as the Kosciuszko Flow Trail, it offers advanced riders more difficult line options with or without the wheels leaving the ground. This trail is ideal on a small travel all mountain bike.

Once at the trail head you can decide whether to continue along the village cross country network or hook into the spectacular Thredbo Valley Track.
https://www.thredbo.com.au/activities/summer-activities/biking/

Also mention that the pump track will be fully rebuilt (so i should take my 24" BMX...)

And more goodies from the Dirt art instagram:

https://instagram.com/p/9rcG1UrHyq/

Last edited:

Checkpoint22

Likes Dirt
From a look at their map, there seems to be two, perhaps 3 "significant" climbs on the trail - and the "middle one" looks like a real gut-buster? Am I wrong, or is this trail not really for the dudes that want to chairlift up and just freewheel down?

DJR

Likes Dirt
From a look at their map, there seems to be two, perhaps 3 "significant" climbs on the trail - and the "middle one" looks like a real gut-buster? Am I wrong, or is this trail not really for the dudes that want to chairlift up and just freewheel down?
That access trail is apparently temporary, I think they are planning to open the new top section sometime in 2016 - easter. Along with a new singletrack section from the top of kozi to the trail heads for flow and cannonball ( yay, no more fire road )

dirtart

Likes Bikes
Hey guys,
The new AM trail has a short climb to access the start of the trail until the top section is completed- Yes it is steep and not much fun, but it is literally only a couple of minutes walk. It was either this, or the whole trail remain closed until completion.
There is essentially no climbing once you're on the trail, the longest climb is around 50m and it is gentle enough that you won't even reach for your dropper post. The rest of the trail is descending with plenty of berms, rocks, jumps and good times.
Don't be put off by the temporary access, it's well worth the short hike.
Cheers,
Simon- Dirt Art

shirtz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
it was a hard push.

was an interesting track. be good ones it dries out and it lifted from the top. there is a bit of pedalling and seat up and down. got lost at the bottom and ended up on the valley loop or something.
middle section in the tries was great. I spent most of my day on the flow trail though.

JoshB

Squid
Do they still make you do that 2 hour orientation to ride the Flow and AM trails if you have never been up the lift at Thredbo before?

I have used lifts in the US and would be annoyed if you had to do it just to ride these trails

JoshB

Squid
Do you need to do the two-hour chairlift / downhill introduction to access the Flow and AM trials if you have not been to Thredbo previously?

I have done lift assisted mountain biking overseas and would be annoyed if I had to do this just access these trials.

I can not see any mention of this on the Thredbo website

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
it was a hard push.

was an interesting track. be good ones it dries out and it lifted from the top. there is a bit of pedalling and seat up and down. got lost at the bottom and ended up on the valley loop or something.
middle section in the tries was great. I spent most of my day on the flow trail though.
What were the conditions like on the flow trail? Damp?

Yeti Dan

Likes Dirt
it was a hard push.

Yeah me too. I only did one run of the new track. Being in armour and FF makes it a terrible climb. Agree that the middle part is great fun, but the track was way too muddy to enjoy.

Flow was good. Few mud sections at the top so I ended up going down the first part of the Cannonball track and merging on.

Is it just me or does that fire road require some above average bike skills to handle at 30km/h plus? F*ck me, it was the sketchiest part of every run!

shirtz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah me too. I only did one run of the new track. Being in armour and FF makes it a terrible climb. Agree that the middle part is great fun, but the track was way too muddy to enjoy.

Flow was good. Few mud sections at the top so I ended up going down the first part of the Cannonball track and merging on.

Is it just me or does that fire road require some above average bike skills to handle at 30km/h plus? F*ck me, it was the sketchiest part of every run!
its like your reading my mind.

agree top of flow was crazy wet. top of cannonball was the best bet. I also think the flow trail should have more jumps in it. the new AM trail had way more in it, but in theory its easier?

the fireroad is sketchy as fk! I saw plenty walk it.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do you need to do the two-hour chairlift / downhill introduction to access the Flow and AM trials if you have not been to Thredbo previously?

I have done lift assisted mountain biking overseas and would be annoyed if I had to do this just access these trials.

I can not see any mention of this on the Thredbo website
No mate seems not. I had a mate who was with us for the weekend and he had never ridden an MTB before (Moto background though) and he didn't have to do it.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So I've just gotten home from 2 1/2 days of riding Thredbo. Opening day Saturday was pretty chilly and super muddy but a lot of fun. The trails were slow early but improved as the day went on. The flow has changed a little with a really fun berm section about 1/3 of the way down. The bottom of both the DH and flow trails has been jazzed up a heap and is now flowy and clean without the old off camber lines that used to be there. I'm not a downhiller but I jumped onto the trail at the bottom and had a blast. It looks like they have done a lot of work on that trail as well.The new AM trail wasn't that bad to access with a short steep push of about 70m then back on the bike. Again it was super muddy and I am surprised they opened it. It's a really fun trail and an absolute leg burner. On the Sunday conditions were heaps better with the track drying out markedly. Late in the day I caught up with sclyde2 and did a run of the flow then finished off with the AM which was really fun apart from a couple of really boggy sections. Lower down amongst the trees is just awesome. Today there was about 10 people on the mountain and the Thredbo crew were out repairing the damage and making some minor improvements. All in all it was a rad weekend except for a mate dislocating his shoulder on Saturday. Big ups to the Dirt art crew for their work and the Thredbo team for making opening weekend a blast!!!!!

sclyde2

Likes Dirt
i managed to get a few runs in at thredbo on both saturday and sunday afternoons. i rode the flow trail the whole time, except for ending each session with a run down the new AM track.

as others have mentioned, the flow trail was pretty dry (i didn't get on it until about 1:30pm) except for the first bit, and just a couple short boggy bits further down. The AM track had a lot more boggy bits, even at the end of Sunday.

my saturday ended on the AM trail, which had a section that was so muddy, that the track should've been closed, with a couple corners getting trashed/rutted (this section had still not dried out on sunday, so i rode around those bits on the grass). Half way down the AM track, my ride was cut short on saturday, as the side wall on my old rear tyre finally gave in, and i had to baby it down the rest of the way down so as to not pop my last tube (which was bulging out despite trying to line the tyre with cardboard), and didn't have enough time to get back to the car and put the new spare tyre on before the lifts stopped at 4pm. running down that AM trail on sunday made me realise what i missed on saturday. about halfway down the AM trail is an awesome section in the trees, kinda like a windy roller coaster. almost got bucked off, going a bit fast.

other than that, even though i am used to riding uphill, at the end of a few hours of riding down the flow trail, i found the climbs on the AM trail a bit painful. dunno why. maybe i was a bit tired from the downhill runs (probably using some muscles a lot more than i am used to), or the pads where making it hard to pedal. that push up the hill to get to the AM track was a bit of a shock to the system, as was the (uphill) traverse at the end of the AM trail to join back to the end of the DH/flow tracks.

All in all, a great eye opener for me, as I have done very little of that kind of riding. I’ve never really done the lift-assisted-at-ski-resort stuff before. It sure is a lot more efficient than the other few times I’ve shuttled (e.g. using buses/trailer) Pretty glad I got to the end with no stacks, but crapped myself a few times. Having turned up on my own, it was good to do a few runs with SPG at the end.

Been looking at the vids I took and am a bit bummed that it will be a while before I get to do something like that again. i'll look into getting a few up on youtube soon, and post a link here.