Thredbo New All Mountain Trail

coarselanguagw

Likes Dirt
It would be good to see a pre-easter completion of the top of the trail.

Also from my experience I found that at the bottom of the all mountain trail if you take the trail that continues down to friday flat it gets you back to the chairlift faster than if you ride uphill on the traverse back to the flow trail. If you want to pump out as many laps as possible just cut out the uphill ride at the end as there is not really any benefit.
For those on hardballs I also suggest riding the Thredbo Valley trail and check to see if they are running shuttles. You can ride the Thredbo Valley trail from the chairlift all the way to Lake Crackenback and get picked up in their shuttle bus with the bike trailer. The shuttle is $15. I found it was nice to ride down to Lake Crackenback early, then ride around the XC trails at Lake Crackenback for an hour or so before getting picked up. This is a good option for those riders feeling arm pump and getting tired of the gravity trails.

thanks for the good tips, I've been off the bike for a few years and am keen to get back to Thredbo.. DH and enduro bike will be coming. Should have it all covered. Will be awesome.. Just spent a fortnight in Tathra riding everyday... was great to get back into it... soooo much easier then trying to find good waves.. and no early dawn patrols hoping for the right swell, wind and wave conditions ;)

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also from my experience I found that at the bottom of the all mountain trail if you take the trail that continues down to friday flat it gets you back to the chairlift faster than if you ride uphill on the traverse back to the flow trail. If you want to pump out as many laps as possible just cut out the uphill ride at the end as there is not really any benefit. QUOTE]

Cheers for the tip, I'll be down there next week! Every time I ride Thredbo I feel like the mountain is severely underutilised, so I hope the AM trail fills that void!

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
Update 13/1/16

Hey Everyone

Just got back from my first visit to Thredbo since 2007ish.

Had a rad day and rode the DH, Flow and All Mountain Trails on my 160/140mm Trance. I'm just an average rider with no amazing berm exploding skills or will to huck that massive gap. I enjoy going fast and in particular like flowy man made trails. I've spent the last 6 years just riding XC and only bought a trail bike in the last 6 months to start getting back into more descent orientated trails.

Here's what I thought, maybe this will help other members considering a visit even if you lack a little confidence.

DH - It was everything I remembered. Steep and rocky in the top sections and for me maybe a little too much for right now. However, I got stuck between riders of varying abilities on the top section of the DH which kind of ruined the experience for me. I cleared them before the the large jumps. The bottom section was a lot of fun even on the trail bike. However the trail left me wishing I had a slacker bike with 160mm travel.

All Mountain Trail - This was a great trail. As mentioned above it really gets the heart pumping as you pedal here way more than the other trails. The AM Trail is in excellent condition and the wooded section was pretty cool with features I thought would cater to riders of all abilities. My problem was maintaining speed. I found myself at several points struggling for momentum. I rode it three times and each time it felt easier as you began to link the various parts together. I took the advice above and rode out on the Friday Flat section. This little section was super fun with some small rock features and then open trail. It was a good way to finish the run.

Flow Trail - My favorite of the day. I did this sucker 5 times. It is as the name suggests flowy, its a well designed and linked together trail. It lacks technical features for advanced riders which leaves even someone like me wanting more but for a quick blast it was excellent. I guess the underlying factor for me is that I didn't feel like I was over my head riding this trail as quickly as I could. Has a lot of braking bumps at he moment but otherwise its great.

Tips
Website says lift opens at 8.30am but it doesn't open for MTB until 9.30. I got 9 runs in between 9.30-3.30.
The walk/ride to the AM Trail isn't that much fun but it is worth it.
A 160/160mm bike with slack angles would be ideal. I felt the Trance was a bit steep in some instances.
Drink shed loads of water.
Bring a spare tube/co². The amount of people I saw walking bikes down with flats surprised me.
At the end of the day dangle those legs in river and sip on a frosty one.

I cant wait to go back and hit the trails again with a fresh body.

Camdyson

Likes Bikes
Thanks for all the updates guys.

I'm finally getting up to Thredbo over the Australia Day weekend for a few days, so will see how it's coming along. If any of you mob are up there and see a middle-aged dude on a fluoro SC Bronson, say g'day!

Cheers,

Cam

pointless

Likes Bikes
With the Nationals at Thredbo from the 5th-7th of Feb does anyone know if all or any of the trails will be open on the 2nd,3rd and 4th?

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for all the updates guys.

I'm finally getting up to Thredbo over the Australia Day weekend for a few days, so will see how it's coming along. If any of you mob are up there and see a middle-aged dude on a fluoro SC Bronson, say g'day!

Cheers,

Cam
I'll be there on Saturday and Sunday, I'm riding a black and green Mach 6. I'm riding by myself so keen to find some other people to roll with.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Another update, just got home after 3 days riding at Thredbo...

AM trail - great trail, has some cool features and flows nicely. The condition of the trail was awesome, hardly saw anyone on there, probably because of the transition and the push up (which isn't that bad!). If Thredbo had a couple more of these trails it would be ace! I think this track will be really busy once the transition from the chairlift is complete.

Flow Trail - Trail condition was good, was quite busy. Rained at the top of the mountain yesterday arvo which made the top of the trail really tacky which was heaps of fun! Fire road section up top was way safer when it was damp!

Cannonball DH - couldn't get a full run in due to maintenance of the trail (different section was shut each time I rode it!) But the track is way quicker than the last time I rode it due to the changes, track condition was the best I've seen it! I'll admit I did struggle a little on the trail bike (140mm travel) compared to the DH bike, I just had to pick my lines a bit better!

The addition of the AM track really made the trip worthwhile!

Anthony B

Likes Dirt
Kinda on topic kinda off topic, anyone have suggestions for bike friendly accommodation down in Thredbo?

Trying to plan a trip down late feb & reading the reviews I feel its a must for me to go & explore.

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Kinda on topic kinda off topic, anyone have suggestions for bike friendly accommodation down in Thredbo?

Trying to plan a trip down late feb & reading the reviews I feel its a must for me to go & explore.
Ski in ski out chalets are happy to accommodate bikes.. But they're pricey

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt

If you're OK with camping there are a couple of great campsites on the way - Thredbo diggings or Ngarigo. Ngarigo is really close - don't know if its easy to get to the thredbo valley trail from either, but it's a short drive to the lifts.

Can't go until April - but I will have handed in the thesis and locked in full post-PhD-ride-it-like-I-stole-it mode for the rocky trail rollercoaster:))

coarselanguagw

Likes Dirt
The camp sites are good. But most places are bike friendly. They just let you store your bike in the ski/snowboard storage that they all have. I don't think you would have any issues with bike storage. Just call up beforehand to confirm.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Candle Light lodge is run by bikers and bike friendly.
Valley trail goes to both camp sites mentioned, and there's a few shuttle busses from there a day. You'll have to check with Thredbo on times. But bus up, ride back. Although the up ride aint that bad anyway.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
The camp sites are good. But most places are bike friendly. They just let you store your bike in the ski/snowboard storage that they all have. I don't think you would have any issues with bike storage. Just call up beforehand to confirm.
+1. we just stayed at the YHA, bikes were stored in the ski store area. I locked mine to a bench 'cos I'm paranoid

Ideate

We stayed in two places a few weeks ago.

Lantern Apartments

Pros:
* Brought the bikes into our rooms (safe).
* Bike washing thing on the side of the building.
* Nice view of the hill off the shared balcony.
* Private parking underneath.
* Clean.
* Heated tiles! It was cold when we were there.

Cons:
* Top of the hill, pain in the ass to walk back to on a full gut of beer.
* Price if you're on a budget.
* Hard mattresses.

Thredbo Alpine Hotel

Pros:
* Great for last minute and one nighters.
* Location!
* Across the road from the pump track, skatepark and lift.
* Clean.
* Bike room next to reception where you can chain your bike up.
* Hotel parking.
* Breakfast buffet next door (you have to pay a little extra for it but you could easily walk in with your key and say you did).

Cons:
* Small soft slanted mattresses (total opposite to Lantern).
* Busier and louder clientele (a whole rugby team was staying there doing high altitude training).
* Price if you're on a budget? Not too bad I suppose but for what you get.. probably not the best.

Here's a gimbal run of the AM (sorry yes, FLOW into DH not AM) trail if you're interested.

[video=youtube;OCzcF-p4o3M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCzcF-p4o3M[/video]

Last edited:

Flint

Likes Dirt
Are you sure? That looks a lot like the Flow trail to me. I haven't been up there for 2 years though.

jp80

Likes Bikes
If you're OK with camping there are a couple of great campsites on the way - Thredbo diggings or Ngarigo. Ngarigo is really close - don't know if its easy to get to the thredbo valley trail from either, but it's a short drive to the lifts.

Can't go until April - but I will have handed in the thesis and locked in full post-PhD-ride-it-like-I-stole-it mode for the rocky trail rollercoaster:))
Ngarigo is on the TVT. Its about 10km of super easy singletrack to thredbo village from there... slightly uphill on the way there, slightly downhill on the way back. My 4yo kid rode it the downhill way, would be a nice warm-up, cruise back to bookend a day up there. It spacious, maybe has drop loos, is on the river too. lovely spot.

zen

Squid
Hey Everyone

Just got back from my first visit to Thredbo since 2007ish.

Had a rad day and rode the DH, Flow and All Mountain Trails on my 160/140mm Trance. I'm just an average rider with no amazing berm exploding skills or will to huck that massive gap. I enjoy going fast and in particular like flowy man made trails. I've spent the last 6 years just riding XC and only bought a trail bike in the last 6 months to start getting back into more descent orientated trails.

Here's what I thought, maybe this will help other members considering a visit even if you lack a little confidence.

DH - It was everything I remembered. Steep and rocky in the top sections and for me maybe a little too much for right now. However, I got stuck between riders of varying abilities on the top section of the DH which kind of ruined the experience for me. I cleared them before the the large jumps. The bottom section was a lot of fun even on the trail bike. However the trail left me wishing I had a slacker bike with 160mm travel.

All Mountain Trail - This was a great trail. As mentioned above it really gets the heart pumping as you pedal here way more than the other trails. The AM Trail is in excellent condition and the wooded section was pretty cool with features I thought would cater to riders of all abilities. My problem was maintaining speed. I found myself at several points struggling for momentum. I rode it three times and each time it felt easier as you began to link the various parts together. I took the advice above and rode out on the Friday Flat section. This little section was super fun with some small rock features and then open trail. It was a good way to finish the run.

Flow Trail - My favorite of the day. I did this sucker 5 times. It is as the name suggests flowy, its a well designed and linked together trail. It lacks technical features for advanced riders which leaves even someone like me wanting more but for a quick blast it was excellent. I guess the underlying factor for me is that I didn't feel like I was over my head riding this trail as quickly as I could. Has a lot of braking bumps at he moment but otherwise its great.

Tips
Website says lift opens at 8.30am but it doesn't open for MTB until 9.30. I got 9 runs in between 9.30-3.30.
The walk/ride to the AM Trail isn't that much fun but it is worth it.
A 160/160mm bike with slack angles would be ideal. I felt the Trance was a bit steep in some instances.
Drink shed loads of water.
Bring a spare tube/co². The amount of people I saw walking bikes down with flats surprised me.
At the end of the day dangle those legs in river and sip on a frosty one.

I cant wait to go back and hit the trails again with a fresh body.
thanks for this write-up - really helpful for making a decision on whether it's worth the extra drive!