Thredbo New All Mountain Trail

adrian.gab

Likes Dirt
I had my first day of this season at Thredbo a couple days ago on the updated Flow trail and the All Mountain trail.*

On the Flow trail there is a new cool rocky trail to get to the start of the Flow trail so you don't have to go down that ghastly grey fire trail. It's pretty picturesque with three bridge crossings.*

They've made the berms way higher with heaps more support to rail them. They've put some more support on some of the off camber turns which makes it faster and easier. They've put in a quite a few doubles. Almost every straight section has multiple little jumps or doubles. There are two huge table tops at the very bottom and a series of 5-6 really high banked and tight berms in quick succession. It's a way better track and pretty intense in that there's hardly any rest points now.*

They opened the new connecting trail to the AM trail very late in the day, but I didn't get to see it, most of the day it was closed and we had to do that brutal steep climb to get there. I didn't notice any change on the trail, no doubt they've been busy getting the new connecting trail up and running. I thought the AM trail was fun and a nice change from the relentless intensity of the Flow trail. I'll definitely be riding it more with the new connection.*

A day pass costs $75, up from last year's $73. It's great being able to load up your swipe pass from last year online so you don't have to head into shop. I'm buzzing to get back there soon.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
As someone who has been out of the country the last few years - how is Thredbo around the Aus day weekend? Packed?

Especially this one that can easily be turned into a 4 day weekend.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll be down there, should be a good weekend, I imagine it'll be a bit more busy then usual.
The only time I've seen Thredbo packed enough to slow down your day is on the cannonball weekend, but on non event weekends the chairlift is fast enough to cope with a decent amount of people quickly :)

sbm

Likes Bikes
I've heard that the rental bikes are selling out by mid morning on weekends. If you're thinking of renting it's probably a good idea to lock it in online before you go.

climberman

Likes Dirt
As someone who has been out of the country the last few years - how is Thredbo around the Aus day weekend? Packed?

Especially this one that can easily be turned into a 4 day weekend.
Busy.
As a guide, last Saturday at lunchtime I had to park back east of Friday Flat.
The AM will be much less busy than the Flow Trail.
Camping sites will be at a premium or taken.

Tigger75

Likes Bikes
Thredbo W/E

Talked the non riding missus into a weekend in Thredbo so I get one ride day and one family day. Heading down on the 18th 19th Of Feb for the first time. Anything I need to know so I dont miss anything? Is the Down Hill Track rideable on a Yeti SB 95? And I heard you need a full face helmet and other protective gear?

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Talked the non riding missus into a weekend in Thredbo so I get one ride day and one family day. Heading down on the 18th 19th Of Feb for the first time. Anything I need to know so I dont miss anything? Is the Down Hill Track rideable on a Yeti SB 95? And I heard you need a full face helmet and other protective gear?
You might still need to do the orientation thing if haven't ridden the DH or flow track. 2hrs and $20 (not inc lift ticket)

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I did flow last year and the chairlift person just told me how to put the bike on. That was it. This year no one asked anything, I just got lift ticket for mtb and paid. I think the orientation thing was for before they had the racks for the bikes on the back of the seat?

For the DH they state you are supposed to have a fullface, I don't if or how that is enforced or whether they just expect people to not be candidates for the Darwin awards?

padams10003

Likes Dirt
I did flow last year and the chairlift person just told me how to put the bike on. That was it. This year no one asked anything, I just got lift ticket for mtb and paid. I think the orientation thing was for before they had the racks for the bikes on the back of the seat?

For the DH they state you are supposed to have a fullface, I don't if or how that is enforced or whether they just expect people to not be candidates for the Darwin awards?
There is a sign saying full face helmets only on the fire road, but I saw plenty of riders with open faces going down it.

Didn't see anyone with an open face on the downhill track, but wouldn't have been surprised if I had.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Here is a full top to bottom run of the All Mountain Track from my recent trip if anyone is interested. Great trail, very rideable on an XC bike, had work doing full runs without stopping for a rest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7zjE1DmN-Y
Cool to see the top bit of the AM. Really nice clip of it. New section looks a little rockier than the old lower section.

Off there this weekend, riding the hardtail and have a feeling this new bit will be really rattly!

DeBloot

Feeling old
Cool to see the top bit of the AM. Really nice clip of it. New section looks a little rockier than the old lower section.

Off there this weekend, riding the hardtail and have a feeling this new bit will be really rattly!
You still on that bone rattler at your age :focus:

Nice riding on the clip k3n!F - very polite too!

Last edited:

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Enjoyed the video k3n!f looks nice and rocky ,think I want to ride it.
I would be like the others having a rest though.