Thredbo New All Mountain Trail

stickso

Likes Dirt
Here is a full top to bottom run of the All Mountain Track from my recent trip if anyone is interested. Great trail, very rideable on an XC bike, hard work doing full runs without stopping for a rest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7zjE1DmN-Y
Thanks for sharing that - I still haven't done the all mountain trail but desperately want to now. Bloody good effort doing it top to bottom. My forearms and thighs are burning just watching it.

scbullit

Likes Dirt
Here is a full top to bottom run of the All Mountain Track from my recent trip if anyone is interested. Great trail, very rideable on an XC bike, hard work doing full runs without stopping for a rest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7zjE1DmN-Y
Interestingly, I did a reccy before last winter, and where the new top section goes back onto a service road in your video, they had a berm exiting left as if to suggest there was going to be single track from that point (about where it crosses Antons t-bar track) to connect to the existing track. It looks like they've canned that idea, or maybe it is still to come?

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
It looks like they've canned that idea, or maybe it is still to come?
I had a chat with one of the trail builders. They had an issue with a late snow melt this year so they spent longer finishing the AM track and new upper section of the flow track.

The plan is to have another section at the point where you say, but it won't be done until next year I was told. Looks like it would be a nice section though, in the forest and should have a fair bit of altitude to work with.

Last edited:

sbm

Likes Bikes
On the skiiing side, because of a freak storm in October, it was actually the latest snow season since 1994 or something. People were still skiing in *january*, though it was pretty much for bragging rights at that point. Still though, they did manage to route the trail though one of the biggest snowdrifts on the hill. Did they even look at a single damn photo of the hillside in October to check where the late snow would be hanging around? It was a bit of a joke at new years to look up from the village and see about three square feet of snow, which the All Mountain Trail managed to go straight under.

But to be fair the trail is freaking brilliant. So much variety in the scenery from above the treeline down through the glades and fields and then the forest in the lower half.

I reckon Thredbo needs one more trail to really be rocking - out the back same as the All Mountain, but then heading left, around the Basin, down through the Golf Course Bowl and Funnelweb and down into the lower Golf Course trail. I mean 5 more would be nice too.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rode the AM on the weekend its techy, flowy and brutal to descend non-stop. Really terrific stuff. It has so much different character through all its sections so that when the last fireroad section is gone it will be quite amazing.

However I must say the climbing pinch section in the video at 4:18 for 20 seconds is an utter bastard with tired legs... I could live without that bit being there.

Also thanks to the dude who filled my flat with his CO2 canister when I realised I didn't have my pump in my bag. Saved me a long walk down.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Heading to Thredbo over Easter weekend and pretty keen on the idea of taking both bikes.

DH/Flow trail runs on day 1 with the Makulu and AM/Flow trail runs on day 2 with the Spitfire... or vice-versa?

I read the final section of the AM trail is complete now, so it's gonna be pretty epic (at least in my brain, haha).
Anyone else heading to Thredbo over Easter?

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Heading to Thredbo over Easter weekend and pretty keen on the idea of taking both bikes.

DH/Flow trail runs on day 1 with the Makulu and AM/Flow trail runs on day 2 with the Spitfire... or vice-versa?

I read the final section of the AM trail is complete now, so it's gonna be pretty epic (at least in my brain, haha).
I'll be there the weekend after :)

Mike95

Likes Dirt
Yeah, going to Thredbo for Easter.

Also read that this Saturday, A 6km extension of the Thredbo Valley Track from Bullocks Flat to Thredbo River Picnic area opens.

Link that up with existing TVT + the AM trail for a super long descent almost all the way to Jindy.

sbm

Likes Bikes
Yeah, going to Thredbo for Easter.

Also read that this Saturday, A 6km extension of the Thredbo Valley Track from Bullocks Flat to Thredbo River Picnic area opens.

Link that up with existing TVT + the AM trail for a super long descent almost all the way to Jindy.
I think that *will* be all the way to Jindy now - wasn't the trail on the west side of the lake open this summer?

I heard the final vision is a trail all the way around the lake.

Ideate

Just bring the Spitty. Don't need the big bikes for Thredbo. What's this climbing business a few posts above by the way? Might have to bring a bag with some tools incase we get a flat too.. :ranger:

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I dunno, I kinda liked the comfort of the big bike last year.
Plus it's a bit more forgiving when you're shit at jumps like me. :spy:

Ideate

I dunno, I kinda liked the comfort of the big bike last year.
Plus it's a bit more forgiving when you're shit at jumps like me. :spy:
I'll take the darkside and stick to cannonball then while you and Blake shove that climb up your ass on the am trail.

Camdyson

Likes Bikes

Yep - taking the Bronson up for a few days. Looking forward to giving the AM a run.

rgy1993

Likes Dirt
Just bring the Spitty. Don't need the big bikes for Thredbo. What's this climbing business a few posts above by the way? Might have to bring a bag with some tools incase we get a flat too.. :ranger:
I only took my NS when I went there around xmas, did fine for the AM and Flow runs which i just sessioned all day. Didn't try Cannonball though, didn't want to risk a decent tumble as I was up there by myself.

It would be wise to carry a spare tube on the AM trail. I'm by no means fast or fit but it took me from memory about 30-45mins to finish it top to bottom (this was well before they opened this new link section, so there was a bit of climbing involved too). It's a long bloody walk back to the bottom if you get a flat out at the fringes of it. No need for a full pack though, I reckon you would get away with a tube, tyre levers and some CO2 taped to your frame.

Camdyson

Likes Bikes
Add something to patch a sidewall tear - walked down last summer thanks to that. Could barely stand next morning......

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Second time it has snowed this year... Thankfully next weekend is currently forecast as frosty, then sunny. But still a chilly sub-10 degrees.

findbuddha

Likes Bikes
Have my fingers crossed for the weather on Anzac Day weekend, a mate and I are making the drive down from Brisbane for our first Thredbo trip. Can handle the cold with appropriate clothing, not so much closed trails or lift.